Schools Class Locomotive

My second entry, will be something completely different for me, a OO Gauge locomotive, a Southern Region Schools Class 4-4-0.

27492540637_de2afcd5f1_b.jpg

42314006262_356031e787_b.jpg

Edited by Jb65rams
Spelling mistake corrected
  • Like 16

This is a kit that came very close to being one of my choices for the GB! Really glad that someone is going to build one and will watch keenly, excellent :like:

• Like 2

Funny how I would not have normally contemplated building a loco, however feel sure that after watching this one come together I (somehow) might be tempted. 

I assume there's many bits that need to be attached before this thing takes shape. I will look forward to it chuffing it's way to the finish line.

Cheers and good choice.. Dave

• Like 2

Yeah, one of my favourite locos! And nice to see another railway build will be involved; very unenlightened but I think that Airfix understood that what boys in the 1960s liked were planes, tanks and trains!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

My second entry, will be something completely different for me, a OO Gauge locomotive, a Southern Region Schools Class 4-4-0.

The box art is a real education in how the drive linkage goes together. I wonder if it is all meant to 'work' when the kit is built? Looking forward to this one - good luck

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 11:46 AM, Ventora3300 said:

The box art is a real education in how the drive linkage goes together. I wonder if it is all meant to 'work' when the kit is built? Looking forward to this one - good luck

Having built several Airfix / Dapol loco kits, if you are VERY careful when applying the glue the valve gear DOES work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

Having built several Airfix / Dapol loco kits, if you are VERY careful when applying the glue the valve gear DOES work.

If you want to have it working, I highly recommend a visit to your local bike shop and the purchase of a tube of "plastic parts grease". Needless to say, you need to paint all the parts before any assembly is done, but the silicone grease does two things: first, it lubricates the all the moving parts, but secondly, it also stops any glue getting to places where it shouldn't. With the aid of said substance, and the trick of applying glue with a fine wire to the inside of the hole RECEIVING the bearing pin, rather than to the end of the pin before pushing it through, I managed to build half a dozen Airfix/Dapol and Kitmaster steam locos so they all work...

best,

M.

(PS: something else I learned the hard way: pay attention to the part numbers on the instructions VERY carefully. There are "handed" parts which look completely identical to the untrained eye, but they aren't, quite, and that difference is enough to mess up your functioning gear. Case in point: on the 0-6-0 Saddle Tank the wheels are evenly spaced, but on the rod that connects them the centre bearing is not quite in the middle. You can turn the wheels so it'll fit, but if you mix up left and right, the wheels will jam after half a turn...)

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Would be nice if it worked, but the plastic is very brittle. Thank for the tip on 'plastic parts grease'.

Picked up some reference material and after market decals / etched name plates. Also think about replacing the handrailing.

42540708514_a3f724155a_c.jpg

With the football on the radio I made a start on this. 

Subframes assemble and given a blast of humbrol Satin Black. The parts need a lot of clean up. 

28389866507_aed1e71f6f_c.jpg

Photos showed up a few areas that I missed with the spray can!

Joined the boiler together, used thin strips of plasticard to reinforce the join, before starting the clean up. (Sorry not the greatest photo)

42540707524_83fb285364_c.jpg

The cab and tender have some raised detail that corresponds with the lining that needs removing

42540706854_c82ba46e37_c.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Work has continued, all be it slowly on the tender. The moulded on lining and handrails have been removed.

43426998621_cdfce7c133_c.jpg

The tender was then assembled and some ballast to give the tender some weight.

29555885338_7354912eb7_c.jpg

Attention then returned to the engine. Again the mould hand rail was removed, These will be replaced by some brass handrail knobs and wire.

There is a larger pipe mould to one side of the boiler, not sure what it is for, to try to remove the appearance that it is molder on I used a scriber to try to give the illusion that is mounted to the boiler. Will only know if I was successful when paint has been applied.

42710670104_d46aa94061_c.jpg

• Like 8

Very nice. I made one of these a good few years ago. Did some similar work such as removing the rails etc. Replaced them with plastic rod. Didn't know you could get decals, they will really lift the look of it. Lovely class of loco.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 7:19 PM, Smudge said:

Very nice. I made one of these a good few years ago. Did some similar work such as removing the rails etc. Replaced them with plastic rod. Didn't know you could get decals, they will really lift the look of it. Lovely class of loco.

Decals will hopefully be far neater than anything I could paint/mask, an set it off nicely. Also have a pre-painted etch nameplate.

Growing up this was the class of loco my Dad always talked about, it was the one that hauled the train he took to school everyday.

Tender primed, started work on the running gear. Using Humbrol Malachite Green.

42774272004_26e38f42d3_c.jpg

• Like 11

On 7/16/2018 at 6:05 PM, Jb65rams said:

There is a larger pipe mould to one side of the boiler, not sure what it is for

It's the vacuum ejector (bit on the firebox side) and pipework from the smokebox back to the brake valve in the cab - The ejector uses the smokebox to provide the source of the vacuum for the vacuum brakes on the locomotive and rest of the train (if connected/fitted with vacuum brakes). 

Edited by Deve
Clarity!- hopefully
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Deve said:

It's the vacuum ejector (bit on the firebox side) and pipework from the smokebox back to the brake valve in the cab - The ejector uses the smokebox to provide the source of the vacuum for the vacuum brakes on the locomotive and rest of the train (if connected/fitted with vacuum brakes). 

Thanks Deve.

I found that these kits were hard to get moving parts to work on original boxings but as the moulds get older the chances are much less. 

Colin 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Boiler & Tender painted, using Humbrol Malachite Green.

Tried airbrushing it but struggled to get it to a workable consistency. Brush painted in the end, need a number of thin coats to get a finish I was happy with. 

42049807720_3734fc2ba3_c.jpg

Next step is to build the cab and re-install the handrails.

In the meantime I bought some aftermarket for it. Off to google Southern Region Disc destination codes.

28921686407_ec475dfb50_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I have posted. Progress has continued slowly, 10 mins here and 10 mins there.  Mainly been spent applying the aftermarket lining. 

Starting with the tender. Needed to cut the lining into small manageable chunks, to prevent if folding in on itself.

44303306511_26307f066f_c.jpg

The boiler. Just visible are holes drilled ready to accept the handrails.

42495774380_ac6fd53e13_c.jpg

29367800357_0f02ec0ffe_c.jpg

I happy with the way the decals worked out, there is no way I could have replicated the lining with paint.

• Like 11

Spent the day listening to the cricket whilst adding the final details.

Started off with the handrails, really makes a difference when compared with the mould on ones.

30539554828_45fce61770_c.jpg

44407679661_fee5fdf1bd_c.jpg

I will let you into a secret, the tender is not coupled to the loco, the carpet monster got the coupling!

Will take some better photos for the gallery later this week.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Spent the day listening to the cricket whilst adding the final details.

Started off with the handrails, really makes a difference when compared with the mould on ones.

30539554828_45fce61770_c.jpg

44407679661_fee5fdf1bd_c.jpg

I will let you into a secret, the tender is not coupled to the loco, the carpet monster got the coupling!

Will take some better photos for the gallery later this week.

Brilliant job JB - i can't wait to see it in the gallery - a great addition to the GB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a beautiful looking loco. The lining really does add to the overall look of the model.

I've picked up a ton of useful tips during the course of the Group Build, my modelling has improved a bit by following them as well.

• Like 2