1/72 Meteor III

My entry will be the Airfix 1/72 Meteor III, this is the kit that started it all for me.

My first kit, I built this is the mid 70's with some (a lot) of help from my Dad. It was memorable at it was painted with enamels and placed on the mantelpiece overnight to dry. Came down in the morning to find the heat from the fire had caused the wings to soften and droop, but I was hooked.

So best part of 45 years later I am going to have another go.

27492541927_2c84cbf07a_b.jpg

27492541447_dd3284de19_b.jpg

As per my first go, this will be built in flight. Missing a pilot so will need to find one from the spares box.

Also decals are past it so have procured some replacements from a later Airfix boxing.

27492540987_f2a6bb92f9_b.jpg

• Like 12

Another Airfix classic of the early 1970's.

I believe the Frog F.4 came out during the same year so it would have been a real hoot for Meteor fans back in the day.

I've got this kit (no box) somewhere in my stash but have never considered building it after the new Dragon-ish kit came along. 

It will be great to see how this one scrubs up. 

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:21, Jb65rams said:

My entry will be the Airfix 1/72 Meteor III, this is the kit that started it all for me.

My first kit, I built this is the mid 70's with some (a lot) of help from my Dad. It was memorable at it was painted with enamels and placed on the mantelpiece overnight to dry. Came down in the morning to find the heat from the fire had caused the wings to soften and droop, but I was hooked.

So best part of 45 years later I am going to have another go.

Great bit of 'history' there JB.  Build her well and keep her away from the fire this time.

• Like 2

Had the day off on Thursday,  With few parts this kit flew together, 

Volunteer pilot found from the spares box.

42691138101_f58bb33963_b.jpg

27822245647_cd2efdc94f_b.jpg

Next the cockpit was assembled, 3 parts. I add a bit of decking from some scrap plastic card behind the bulkhead to fill a void. Then followed up with a blast of matt black.

27822246957_6be99d55c6_b.jpg  

42691136961_af8ee32640_b.jpg

I am finishing this in flight, so fitted the undercarriage doors in the closed position.

27822243837_cc4df906b7_b.jpg

All in all it was a fun couple of hours, With a nod back to my childhood, I was almost tempted to put the decals on then fly it around the room.

Currently in the spray booth following a coat of primer.

• Like 11

Good going jb..

She certainly looks like a Meatbox so looks like Airfix got this one fairly spot on.

I've got 99.5% of this same kit, however I recall starting it by sanding some of the rivet detail and cutting every flying surface imaginable (what was I thinking!). I will expect this one all paint-licked, stickered and in the gallery in no time from now. 

Good luck for the rest of it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, Jb65rams said:

This was actually the last Airfix kit that I built as a youth (before work, house, wife, kids etc. temporarily took proirity).

Thankfully, the natural order of things has now been restored :winkgrin:.

Cliff

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

This was actually the last Airfix kit that I built as a youth (before work, house, wife, kids etc. temporarily took proirity).

Thankfully, the natural order of things has now been restored :winkgrin:.

Cliff

I'd bet we'd all build more models if you reveresed you're order a bit there Cliff - 

The kids grow up and leave home, ditch the other half, sell the house for something small with no maintenance and finally quit the job!   

There, priorities sorted!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the paint job. Painted using Vallejo Model Air. Took its time as I like to leave a minimum of 24hr before masking for the next colour.

42914578632_516b1295e7_b.jpg

42914578082_446e3614a7_b.jpg

Next step to mask of for the yellow leading edge and the decals. With luck should finish it this weekend,

• Like 12

Lovely finish on this one - looks very neat from afar but if you zoom in you can see the work put in to accentuate panel lines etc. ...and all the rivets are still there! You must be pleased with this one. What's next?

• Like 2

Ventora3300

Thanks. Very pleased with the way it turned out.

Next up was planned to be the Airfix Schools Class Loco, but this may not leave the station due to a flair up of a back problem preventing me sitting at the bench.

• Like 3

Get well soon JB. The Meteor has turned out very nicely and you’ve certainly captured its lovely flight mode lines very effectively.

Cheers. Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...