1/48 Mosquito FB VI (another one!)

FINALLY got some primer on...

DSC_5669

DSC_5670

by no stretch of the imagination is it the best filler/sanding/fit job in the world but I can live with that....

Restored my mojo a bit getting past the mental block of the (all be it my fault) ill fitting front cannon fairing....

So, full steam ahead! 😁

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

FINALLY got some primer on...

DSC_5669

DSC_5670

by no stretch of the imagination is it the best filler/sanding/fit job in the world but I can live with that....

Restored my mojo a bit getting past the mental block of the (all be it my fault) ill fitting front cannon fairing....

So, full steam ahead! 😁

Nice spray job...

• Haha 1

Thanks folks! 👍

I haven't taken a photo of said cannon fairing but it was really getting me down. I filled it with melted sprue and it went like hard latex (didn't give it enough time to dry - when WILL i learn....) but after hardening overnight it sanded down sort of.  Well within my standards of modelling at least 😁

So since there's no cammo to be done my attention has turned to the landing gear.

in the tamiya kit (as on the real thing) there's a hydraulic/oil/other tank in each mlg bay.  I'm going to pop a post in the wanted ads to see if some kind soul has these spare otherwise it's see if i have any parts which have been mercilessly ripped from dead computers which will fit the bill 😆

• Like 3

Parts from dead computers.. what a great idea. There’s bound to be all sorts of strange looking components that may well double for wheel well plumbing. I’m going to raid my old dead box the next time I see it. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Sorry folks been "offline" for one reason and another over the past few days...

A bit of an update:

DSC_5679

Kit decals (although a heck of a lot better condition set than my 3 kindly donated by @MarkSH 👍) seem to have bedded down a lot better than expected.  I got the Barracuda stencil set so that'll be the next task.

Nacelles and MLG just dry fitted to make sure they DID fit and that there wasn't a huuuuuuge gap (which happily enough there isn't)

I must say though I've been pretty lucky with this kit in regards to flash etc that a lot of you have had to deal with!!

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Glad the decals worked out for you. They do look to have gone down nicely on what looks like a very nice paint surface. 

Thanks Mark!

i switched from using the modern equivalent of klear to humbrol acrylic varnish which seems to have made the world of difference 😀  I know I said to you before about the nacelles/ landing gear but the fit of the nacelle halves is pretty 'orrible but this time i was brave and clamped and glued the front of them using a 90 degree surface to get the allignment right then sanded the  big seam and if you then spread the rear you can slot the mlg in then glue the back. Looks a lot better than the first one i did.  So there you go - a lawzer top tip 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Thanks Mark!

i switched from using the modern equivalent of klear to humbrol acrylic varnish which seems to have made the world of difference 😀  I know I said to you before about the nacelles/ landing gear but the fit of the nacelle halves is pretty 'orrible but this time i was brave and clamped and glued the front of them using a 90 degree surface to get the allignment right then sanded the  big seam and if you then spread the rear you can slot the mlg in then glue the back. Looks a lot better than the first one i did.  So there you go - a lawzer top tip 😁

Hey hey hey - I do hope I had a hand in that - it's flippin' brilliant

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I meant to take more photos along the way but she's now finished....

I know what it's like when the 'excitement' grips you -and then you think - I should maybe have a taken a snap or2 of that - to show how I did it - or in my case - where it all went wrong :whistle:

• Haha 1

Great detailing on this one, Ian - I like the underside view of the undercarriage and cannon bay - you'll need to display it on a mirror ! Is this in a FAA colour scheme? I'll read back through the build thread again. Love it!

• Like 2

I was pretty chuffed with the u/c bays.  Although you can;t see it I know the work is there :)

143 squadron was based in Banff from about october '44 so I was going to take the photos of it sitting on part of the original airfield but in the end decided the pigtails and cannon bay doors may be a bit too fragile to drive 40 miles then be carried for another mile ;)

• Like 3

Apologies for leaving my comments so late Ian, however you've done an absolute terrific job with this kit.

The additional detailing really raises this one to another level which you've captured beautifully with a neat overall finish.

Top marks my friend - well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2