1/48 Mosquito FB VI (another one!)

So I better throw my hat into the ring ;)

Be doing this to start off:

DSC_5630DSC_5631

I have a resin cannon/gun bay set for it but I think this one will be OOB (except for some seatbelts and a/m stencils):

DSC_5632

I have another waiting in the wings so it might get the "after market" treatment....

i built this same kit last year (a/m decals for the banff strike wing) but for some reason in the (LONG wait!) build up to the GB i've taken it out of the box almost every weekend and honestly got excited about the build.

not sure if that says more about me or airfix being celebrated.....

anyways, here's to a great GB!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 9

Nice to see this classic Mossie being build in mutiple numbers.

Airfix have done very well with this kit over the years and in it's day was the best quater scale Mossie on the market.

The addition of resin and PE will lift this good kit to greater levels.

I'll be watching Ian, best of luck.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

Hey Ian - I hope you actually get time to build her - what with all the responsibilities of co-running the GB itself.

Don't rush her though - you have 16 weeks to create a masterpiece - steady as you go mate :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I'm considering doing a bit of a dual build (out of your book @BIG X !!) with the other mosquito....

but maybe split them up with a 109...and maybe a ju87.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So out of the blocks....

I'd forgotten I had these:

DSC_5634

So cockpit parts prepared (since primed and painted):

DSC_5633

And the decision should I use the resin or not seems to have been made for me...

DSC_5636

A few VERY twitchy moments but it seems to fit (almost):

DSC_5637

So I've decided on a change of plan.  Since the gun bay cover won't be on I'm going to do this NE-A of 143 squadron and the next one (which will have the cannon bay half of the resin) will be Black Rufe...

• Like 7

Looking good - you are a busy boy - running the GB and bashing the plastic AND resin too...

...go for it mate :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The "instructions" for the resin gun bay are not exactly clear so i fear i've cut away too much but hopefully fixable...

• Sad 2

so a bit of an update....

DSC_5641

I was quite pleased with this till I saw @MarkSH 's one...🤣

Anyway I was going to without shame pinch some of his ideas for the cockpit area but if I did that it would still be in bits after the GB finished...

So,  after much gnashing of teeth and sweary words here's where I'm at:

DSC_5652

Had a bit of a well not disaster but the lower front fuselage plastic seemed to melt when I glued it hence the massive amount of filler:

DSC_5649

Speaking of filler:

DSC_5651

When I was trimming the resin canon parts the tips of 2 cannons broke off so I *tried* to drill out the resin part (fingers drilled more than onece oh yes) but to no avail so I think I'm going to stick with the kit part:

DSC_5644

So, to sum up:

fingers superglued together - check.

(this one is a first even for me) photo etch part actually superglued to your finger for 4 hours without noticing - check.

drill into finger - check (ouch!)

and the master piece - tube of filler splits at the non nozzle end sending a flume of filler into the air and all over the carpet/furniture/clothes hung up to dry - CHECK! (wasn't too popular with that one...)

I still have the problem of trying to reinstate the (too much) plastic I cut away for the gun bay but I can't do that till the gun bay is fitted and I don't want to do that because the ammo feeds will be well fragile when I fit them..

Devil, deep blue sea.....🤣

Still, I can certainly say fun has been had and at the end of the day that's what it's all about...

Happy modelling!!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

BRILLIANT - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT...

You couldn't make this stuff up - You are the true essence of everything that makes this forum a great place to be.

Well done on the progress and you are not alone in having a tube of filler explode at the wrong end.  As for super gluing your fingers together - been there done that - as well as gluing the side of my little finger FIRMLY to the cutting mat - that one hurt.  I also know how sharp those micro drill bits are AND just how far they can penetrate the skin.  I swear on the cats life I actually hit bone a few months ago - I still have a slight loss of feeling and periodic tingling along the length of my thumb.

But photo etch worn as jewellery for 4 hours - that's a new one :lol:

Now back to the build - I actually like the look of the kit part - better than the resin.  The resin may be more accurate - but the kit part just looks right.

On the filler front - have you tried Perfect Plastic Putty.  If not I can really recommend it.  It is super smooth - not grainy and if you just wet your finger and rub it over the filler it allows you to smooth it or easily remove excess.  I always struggled with the metal tube fillers - like Squadron and found them really rough.  I have also come to love Mr Dissolved Putty and Mr Surfacer for filling little holes and dimples.

Keep up the good work mate - you are a tonic for the troops.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It actually was perfect plastic putty! 😆

I was desperately looking through my other unstarted kits to see if there was anything i could fill in before it dried 😂

Still, some (badly!) rescibed panel lines doen so tomorrow is another day! 👍🍻

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m having issues viewing your photos Lawzer, is it just me? 

Cheers.. Dave

Does it just show the link? I was messing about with my flickr (work reasons) and i might have cocked something up....

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

It actually was perfect plastic putty! 😆

WELL - THERE IS A CO-INCIDENCE...

So was mine - take a look at this...

ppp.jpg

Does yours have that very nasty pinch mark on the left - above the arrow...

...The dealer replaced mine FOC - which was incredibly decent of him as he only had my word for it over the phone.  However, when the new one arrived it had the same pinch and on closer inspection those semi-circular marks on the sealing seam.  It looks like a fault to me - probably batch related - but a faulty batch non the less.  I did inform the dealer and advised he checked his stock - incase anyone else had a problem.  I haven't used the second one yet - as I'm still using the first faulty one - but careful not to put pressure on the back end of the tube.   I'd be interested to know if yours looks the same.

Steve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Does it just show the link? I was messing about with my flickr (work reasons) and i might have cocked something up....

Yep - all show just the link. The first few take you to your Flickr account (nice Heinkel as well) and the last few come up with an error response. Overall those it’s still all promising so keep it up my friend. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

WELL - THERE IS A CO-INCIDENCE...

So was mine - take a look at this...

ppp.jpg

Does yours have that very nasty pinch mark on the left - above the arrow...

...The dealer replaced mine FOC - which was incredibly decent of him as he only had my word for it over the phone.  However, when the new one arrived it had the same pinch and on closer inspection those semi-circular marks on the sealing seam.  It looks like a fault to me - probably batch related - but a faulty batch non the less.  I did inform the dealer and advised he checked his stock - incase anyone else had a problem.  I haven't used the second one yet - as I'm still using the first faulty one - but careful not to put pressure on the back end of the tube.   I'd be interested to know if yours looks the same.

Steve 

I'm not sure - that end of the tube is now a solid dried lump of filler 🤣

• Haha 1

nearly ready for wings, tail planes and canopy...

DSC_5658

I've built this kit before so I'm *hoping* same as the last time I did it the nacelles will pop right in with no filler (u/c is a bit too flimsy for my ham fisted approach ;) )...

• Like 3

This is coming along nicely and rapidly too Ian. Good tip on the nacelles and U/C assembly definitely will watch out for that.

• Like 2

SO a good and a bad day.....

it's very nearly at the stage for primer so I tried fitting the well, cowling, of the cannon bay.  Nope.  MASSIVE gap all the way round and wasn't sitting right.  Even with a bit of sanding (the resin part of the canon bay occupies part of the space where this should fit) no go.

So I ended up having to split the *perfect* (hahhaaaa) filler job I'd done on the very front of the fuselage to get the aforementioned cowling to fit.  For some reason I had the foresight to try fitting the gun bay resin part BEFORE I superglued the fuselage.   Thankfully...otherwise there would have been a LOT of swearing......

So it's all in but I must admit this deflated me a bit :(

DSC_5665

DSC_5666

DSC_5667

(I don't know why the pictures are not showing)

I added a bit of detail to the otherwise empty mlg bays:

DSC_5668

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 5

It's not looking too shabby to me.  I am concerned that you have 3 i-phone boxes lurking on your worktop though :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

I actually have 7 ;)

When someone gets an iphone at work I keep the boxes - handy storage!!  They'd only chuck them out...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I actually have 7 ;)

When someone gets an iphone at work I keep the boxes - handy storage!!  They'd only chuck them out...

TOP TIP - With me it's those plastic business card boxes - perfect for keeping all your bits and bobs in neat little groups during a build.

• Thanks 1

Liking the extra detail in the U/C bays, I'm lagging way behind with my build and I still have to finish off the RAF100th build...aarrghh!

• Like 2