English Musketeer 1642

On 8/31/2018 at 9:59 PM, Ratch said:

Indeed. And I should have taken note before going a bit crazy with the Vallejo Game Ink, which is a bit more brutal than Citadel’s shades. While I decide how best to recover the latest batch of mistakes I’ve been fettling some of the fiddly bits so all is not lost yet.

44458007972_527f0bf65c_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

Indeed. And I should have taken note before going a bit crazy with the Vallejo Game Ink, which is a bit more brutal than Citadel’s shades. While I decide how best to recover the latest batch of mistakes I’ve been fettling some of the fiddly bits so all is not lost yet.

44458007972_527f0bf65c_b.jpg

It looks good to me - I guess your standards are higher than mine when it comes to 'splashing stuff on'.  I always tell myself - 'the matt varnish will tone it down a bit' :D

• Like 2

You're heading in the right direction.  I think I would have remodelled his coat and breeches with milliput as the figure looks proportioned a bit funny.  Have you thought about how you will do the Bandolier and attached the Apostels and powder flask yet?

BTW I recognise some of those in the American digital art projects.  We used to call it editing the photo!!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 6:47 PM, Grey Beema said:

You're heading in the right direction.  I think I would have remodelled his coat and breeches with milliput as the figure looks proportioned a bit funny.  Have you thought about how you will do the Bandolier and attached the Apostels and powder flask yet?

BTW I recognise some of those in the American digital art projects.  We used to call it editing the photo!!

I decided early on not to do any remodelling, mainly because it’s not something I’ve tried before. I understand what you’re saying, he looks more like a member of Jethro Tull than a musketeer, but I wanted to try and make it to the gallery with this one.

Regarding the bandolier and apostles (see below) , I’m just about ready to start putting these and the other accoutrements together.

29658568647_dc57c90829_b.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I decided early on not to do any remodelling, mainly because it’s not something I’ve tried before. I understand what you’re saying, he looks more like a member of Jethro Tull than a musketeer, but I wanted to try and make it to the gallery with this one.

Regarding the bandolier and apostles (see below) , I’m just about ready to start putting these and the other accoutrements together.

29658568647_dc57c90829_b.jpg

Good job.  They are difficult to get right.  and will send you dimented.. 

• Like 1

I remember building the 3 ECW figures when they came out then revisiting them a few years later when the BBC broadcast By The Sword Divided. I had a few friends who were fans of the series so I ended up building sets for them. 

Happy days. 

John 

1 hour ago, John said:

I remember building the 3 ECW figures when they came out then revisiting them a few years later when the BBC broadcast By The Sword Divided. I had a few friends who were fans of the series so I ended up building sets for them. 

Happy days. 

John 

By The Sword Divided, I’d forgotten about that. Have there been any other decent English Civil War dramas or documentaries in the last 30 years- nothing springs to my mind but that doesn’t mean much.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, BIG X said:

It looks good to me - I guess your standards are higher than mine when it comes to 'splashing stuff on'.  I always tell myself - 'the matt varnish will tone it down a bit' :D

Cheers, the matt varnish hasn’t had much effect yet - I sloshed some on this morning. As for my standards, I’m always half-expecting the BM equivalent of Mr Bennett to step into my build threads and murmur softly “come dear boy, you have delighted us long enough”

Edited by Avereda
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Avereda said:

By The Sword Divided, I’d forgotten about that. Have there been any other decent English Civil War dramas or documentaries in the last 30 years- nothing springs to my mind but that doesn’t mean much.

"By the Sword" that's the one where the BBC decided to change the newly remodelled army's coats from red to black to make the lead characters stand out more (in red?)...

It is a pity that there haven't been more ECW productions - it is such an important piece of history.  There are even sets of fully trained and equipped extras just willing to give it a go if the basic concept of the programme was good..

39 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

It is a pity that there haven't been more ECW productions - it is such an important piece of history.  There are even sets of fully trained and equipped extras just willing to give it a go if the basic concept of the programme was good..

I have a feeling that the modern media is too entranced by the glamour of royalty to contemplate exploring a period when one of them was executed, that and a desire to ignore Cromwell and his complexities.

5 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I have a feeling that the modern media is too entranced by the glamour of royalty to contemplate exploring a period when one of them was executed, that and a desire to ignore Cromwell and his complexities.

Or to put it another way "Why ruin a good story with facts".....

🤓

On 9/10/2018 at 5:04 PM, Grey Beema said:

Good job.  They are difficult to get right.  and will send you dimented.. 

Thanks, I’m not sure the Uschi thread was such a good idea now - the elasticity of it makes it hard to control. I might replace the Uschi thread with white cotton thread suitably dyed with acrylic ink. Nearly there, you never know it might even make the gallery.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

With the end in sight it looks like I’ve done another Devon Loch. The leather belts are too wide and as predicted the Uschi thread isn’t really suitable for the apostles. The belts, bags and apostles are superglued in place so removing them is going to result in a complete strip down and repaint, I’m away to Orkney for a week on Friday so there won’t be time to repair the damage. I’ll box this up and add it to next year’s Year of Doom pile.

44241067805_7420bc00b1_b.jpg

• Sad 4

That's a real shame - I would be really pleased with him - but we all work to 'different levels of ability' I suppose.  It is amazing how much stuff I see that I think is brilliant - but the 'artist' is dissatisfied with is enormous.  Why not just pop him away for a month - then drag him out for the KUTA GB - I'd love to see him finished.

BTW - C'mon City for this afternoon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That's a real shame - I would be really pleased with him - but we all work to 'different levels of ability' I suppose.  It is amazing how much stuff I see that I think is brilliant - but the 'artist' is dissatisfied with is enormous.  Why not just pop him away for a month - then drag him out for the KUTA GB - I'd love to see him finished.

BTW - C'mon City for this afternoon.

I’d thought about KUTA but I’ve such a long list of options that I’m going to try and do them all next year under the banner of “Year of Doom”. This is part of a ludicrous 5 year plan which goes, Year of Doom, Year of Classic Airfix, Year of Diorama, Year of WNW, Year of Different Mediums. I’m a great one for planning and slightly less great at carrying them out.

• Like 2