English Musketeer 1642

I’ll most likely be entering a couple of 54mm figures in this GB (see second photo), I’ll begin with the English Musketeer in all its carded glory. Why this one? Well, when I was recovering from surgery a couple of years ago I reread ‘God’s Englishman’ which reinvigorated a long dormant interest in the English Revolution. This in turn, led to considering picking up the old Oliver Cromwell kit* which also led to me attending the IPMS Salisbury show and lo, I was hooked on modelling again.

Packaging is a bit battered and bruised but I think the contents are ok

42414821591_b484ec72d8_b.jpg

The potential pair

42364815242_4e7980cf9d_b.jpg

*despite buying about 70+ kits since then I still haven’t bought the Lord Protector 

• Like 16

Airfix really came out with a wealth of historical subjects didn't they? 

Once, when I was a wee lad, I read every caption of the 1977 Catalogue whilst trying to occupy my time on a boring rainy day.

When I finally finished,  I felt like I could tackle any trivia game show as I had aquired a wealth of historical information that was not that easy to find.

These figures will be interesting to follow. As a sole aircraft modeller, I'll watch your skills to see how you tackle these (what are for me) less modelled subjects.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 3

These were a really good basis for lots of figures, with a bit of research and a bit of milliput a really nice model echoing current understanding of what an English Civil War Musketeer looked like can be completed.

• Like 3

I remember seeing these in the (what seemed like loads at the time!) shops that sold airfix when I was a kit.

My "build as quick as you can and slap some paint" attitude back then wouldn't have lent to this ;)

look forward to seeing the progress! 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 4:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Airfix really came out with a wealth of historical subjects didn't they? 

Indeed, makes me wonder why I don’t concentrate on them more given that I’ve got a greater interest in history than military machines.

On 5/29/2018 at 6:57 AM, Grey Beema said:

These were a really good basis for lots of figures, with a bit of research and a bit of milliput a really nice model echoing current understanding of what an English Civil War Musketeer looked like can be completed.

I might have to settle for the 1979 understanding of an ECW Musketeer, we’ll see...

On 5/29/2018 at 7:44 AM, Roger Newsome said:

There's also the option to depict a Thirty Years War musketeer, Swedish etc. and more interesting reading. 😁

Looking forward to following your progress. 

Roger.

I accidentally found myself looking into these possibilities...I really must try and stick to Plan A though.

On 6/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, Lawzer said:

I remember seeing these in the (what seemed like loads at the time!) shops that sold airfix when I was a kit.

My "build as quick as you can and slap some paint" attitude back then wouldn't have lent to this ;)

look forward to seeing the progress! 

Thanks, I may adopt nothing better than the “build it slow, slap some paint on attitude” though.

Anyhow, the sprues below - I’ll have a little scrape at the flash tonight

28690673008_38d65e7ba1_b.jpg

• Like 7

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:43, Lawzer said:

YOU WERE A KIT???

I am off to Ebay to hunt out the original Airfix LAWZER kit - what scale am I looking for... :lol:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

YOU WERE A KIT???

I am off to Ebay to hunt out the original Airfix LAWZER kit - what scale am I looking for... :lol:

Yeah the original 1970 boxing is worth a fortune even though i do say so myself.....😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

Yeah the original 1970 boxing is worth a fortune even though i do say so myself.....😁

WHAT'S THAT SAYING - THEY BROKE THE MOULD WHEN THEY MADE YOU :winkgrin:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WHAT'S THAT SAYING - THEY BROKE THE MOULD WHEN THEY MADE YOU :winkgrin:

Well many a year ago in my youth a girl started speaking to me in a pub and asked "are you the guy who sells fish in marks and spencers" so they may have made at least one other.....😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Well many a year ago in my youth a girl started speaking to me in a pub and asked "are you the guy who sells fish in marks and spencers" so they may have made at least one other.....😂

I thought you had sausage fingers like me - not fish fingers...

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Around Aberdeen way I would have thought that made you a man of substance, under the same circumstances I would have simply answered “yes”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gammy left hip, which is going to need some work (much like myself) and needs helping upright (much like....) but starting to take shape. I’ll have a play around with the fleshy parts before the next update.

41891249425_5442dfab9c_b.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, Avereda said:

I’ll have a play around with the fleshy parts before the next update.

I do hope you won't be doing that in public! 😂 Good job @CedB isn't here!

I built one or two of the Airfix figures and thoroughly enjoyed them, even though my main interest has always been aircraft. I think they were a Scots Grey, and a Highlander, both Napoleonic. 

Ian

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

As it happens the fleshy parts amount to a face largely obscured by an extravagant beard. The plan is to follow this figure painting tutorial from missing-lynx so the head has been under coated with a mix of Tamiya Desert Yellow and White.

29679171438_e4f87f3a1e_b.jpg

The body is nearly ready for paint, just a bit more work on the shoulders and the ermm crevices.

43550807231_ae29f60dfb_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 4

He has a look of William Shakespeare - my figure painting skills are woeful - so hopefully I can pick up a tip or two.

• Like 2

Just Looked this kit up and it dates from '77 - that's some detail considering!! Just from this kit alone not hard to see how this really was the airfix golden years......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Primed in Stynylrez black and the first slosh of colour. The plan is to go with something buffish on the top half and darker brown trousers.

43932929182_3b615c2a29_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, BIG X said:

Looking good and I'm glad to see you 'back at it' - I'll bet your looking forward to the match tomorrow too...

You bet I was, a fine result in the end. Another buffish coat has been added, I think one more and then I’ll have a crack at highlighting and all that sort of stuff. A coat of Vallejo Armour Brown on the breeches, hopefully the sheen will dry out and they’ll lose the look of leather. Apropos leather trousers - my Dad used to work in the cotton industry as a dyeist and colourist, I’m sure I remember him telling me that every so often an excise man in leather trousers would come and test the stills for illicit alcohol by sitting in the water. Can anyone help out, is this some kind of weird false memory - I’ve had a look online and can find nothing.

42208782800_5e304b58fb_b.jpg

• Like 5

Coming on nicely, I'm sure the shine will either dry out or will respond to Matt varnish.  

I'm not sure if you are intending to paint the sleeves a different colour or musketeer wearing a buff coat.  Most musketeers would not be equipped with Buff coats and If they did have them they would have probably been a private purchase.  

The exception was the London Trayned Bandes who were noted for wearing Buff and most members bought their own.  If fact after the battle of Newbury (I think) many of the casualties were identified as Londoners as they were wearing Buff.  

Soldiers that had them would more probably have not had sleeves.  So you can choose any four to paint the sleeves of you soldiers coat..

Good luck with your Musketeer..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Coming on nicely, I'm sure the shine will either dry out or will respond to Matt varnish.  

I'm not sure if you are intending to paint the sleeves a different colour or musketeer wearing a buff coat.  Most musketeers would not be equipped with Buff coats and If they did have them they would have probably been a private purchase.  

The exception was the London Trayned Bandes who were noted for wearing Buff and most members bought their own.  If fact after the battle of Newbury (I think) many of the casualties were identified as Londoners as they were wearing Buff.  

Soldiers that had them would more probably have not had sleeves.  So you can choose any four to paint the sleeves of you soldiers coat..

Good luck with your Musketeer..

Thanks for the info and good wishes. I’ve been prevaricating about the sleeves and trousers - I might go for a grey flannel look on both or I might stick with the current scheme.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2018 at 21:26, Avereda said:

Thanks for the info and good wishes. I’ve been prevaricating about the sleeves and trousers - I might go for a grey flannel look on both or I might stick with the current scheme.

Did you make a decision, yet on the sleeves and trousers? Looking back at this thread, were you going to fit in a French Legionnaire as well? Someone else said it, 'Too many models, too little time'! Happy modelling. Mike.

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Did you make a decision, yet on the sleeves and trousers? Looking back at this thread, were you going to fit in a French Legionnaire as well? Someone else said it, 'Too many models, too little time'! Happy modelling. Mike.

Sleeves and trousers have gone grey. I forgot to take photos before heading up north for a long weekend. Should get a bit of a push on next week with the Musketeer, the legionnaire will be a late call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1