This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhantomBigStu

***Finished*** Airfix B26

Both sides done and remembering the xtradecal sheet has a camoflage option disruptive dark earth applied, just the medium green blotches and the white fin tip to do before work switches to the underside 

43608442082_b9d67d5b63_b.jpg

Nice work! 👍

this thing must have been a real brute in real life - from the angle above it looks like a real "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" attitude to it! 😁

Looks good to me! 👍

Underside done, upper camo touched up and the medium green blotches and white fin tip painted. Ready for the glass work to go on , better order the decals pronto, probably should start that mossie as well

43932575012_36d4f43a21_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Transparencies are on and indeed on another large build I have on the go, fits not great so it’s been filled for the fair amount of sanding on both that is needed. Also finally ordered them decals 

43378018954_21540af07f_b.jpg

Finally got the decals and got round to some sanding, though annoyed as one of the gun barrels has vanished, though if it stays gone I can scratch more suitably sized ones so not the end of the world 

44152732522_8178b12725_b.jpg

As I said before this is one MEAN looking mutha....I really love the shape of this beast!

Must. Resist. Ebay. Since it's payday......

Had hoped get this decal ready today, not going to happen, reached the point where the  dregs of the neutral gray have colour shifted, so will await my next paint restock in a week or two. 

Had sorted the nose piece and canopy joins out, but the nosegun broke so had to remove them to put it back, underside has been repainted with the fresh pot of NG, ad now to sort the joins out a 2nd time and itll be ready for glossing 

43914153284_107354e49b_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Good to see this one back on track Stu.. Nice camo pattern, looks good.

Cheers.. Dave 

should have seen it coming, but my endless removals of the nose piece eventually went wrong with a breakage causing a visible hole, so I've the choice to either finish it (unless I find my local has another copy for sale in a bit) in the gallery or put way with my B-25 for a joint airfix spares care package 

42864545980_4d361acea1_b.jpg

...a small blob of PVA perhaps - it looks small enough to dry clear - then a lick of gloss varnish perhaps...

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...a small blob of PVA perhaps - it looks small enough to dry clear - then a lick of gloss varnish perhaps...

worth a try, is about 1.5mm, though might pick up some humbrol clearfix which will do the job as well now you've reminded me. 

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

worth a try, is about 1.5mm, though might pick up some humbrol clearfix which will do the job as well now you've reminded me. 

maybe do it in a couple of sessions - round the edge on the first pass and when that has gone off a small spot in the smaller hole that will be left - good luck - you can do it :thumbsup:

it worked @BIG X, dried clear and actually turned out one of the frame lines runs through it so covers nicely the very slight discontinuation, though I’ve once again had to removed the nose section so got to sort the join for the millionath time. That’s a job for tommorow 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Nose is a bit ropey but I doubt I’m going to get it any better, so this is ready for decals finally, wether they go on tonight remains to be seen 

44718507042_eb14a5769e_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Nice work! I saw one of these kits at the aberdeen show over the weekend and since my mind can only concentrate on 1 thing at a time so I thought "oh there are 3 in the GB" so didn't buy it.  Wish my noggin had computed I could always build it AFTER the gb.....

The RAF camouflage makes it look very different! For landing lights, you can cut a little rectangle of clear sellotape and wrap it around the leading edge over the light. I did that for my B-25 build in this forum. It's surprisingly resilient, especially with some varnish to blend the overlapping sellotape on the wing.

Regards,

Adrian

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The RAF camouflage makes it look very different! For landing lights, you can cut a little rectangle of clear sellotape and wrap it around the leading edge over the light. I did that for my B-25 build in this forum. It's surprisingly resilient, especially with some varnish to blend the overlapping sellotape on the wing.

Regards,

Adrian

That’s good Idea, though I’ve decided to fill it and paint them silver. Also decided to remove the tip lights and replace them with melted sprue/superglue filler as the fit was so awful. And well spotted it is a SAAF a/c

Got there in the end, now just to paint the lights on. Eagle eyed might spot the extra medium green blotches, painted the originals without the decals so couldn’t make out the actual pattern. 

44244893944_761ce113b0_b.jpg

Now that's a tasty job!  Top result! 👍