***Finished*** Airfix B26

With its recent re-release and no doubt excellent decal sheet, I knew this B-26 kit would make an early appearance. 

This would have to be one of Airfix's better offerings for this Classic period, so I would imagine that a good quality model can still be build straight OOB.

Good luck with the build Stu.

Cheers... Dave  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting article in July's FlyPast on the B-26 Marauder. This is another old Airfix kit I've never got around to building so I'll be keen to see how it comes together.

• Like 2

This kit has always been one of the most exciting Airfix offerings! A box fuller than a big Easter egg and details galore!

I am soooo jealous, and the decals look real nice!

Have a lot of fun!!!

JR

• Like 2

Even though they won’t be seen, 8 bombs decalled. Also about to do something I don’t do often, start something that’s not for a group build, proving tricky I have nothing to build. (Ones on the left are in the stash and ready to go, on the right is stock at the local model shop) 

42965581451_c36399d797_b.jpg

42915830112_3a2e5380d8_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi there!

I never thought I'd see the day when you paint AND decal bombs. Welcome to the maniacs' club!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well tried staples, too high, then carefully cut tape, looked fine once painted over but not quite right so tried sanding and it predictably peeled off, at a loss what to do other than give up, maybe I’ll put it to one side and switch to the mossie

41688612450_ea817ceb30_b.jpg

43440048122_3d3c88544b_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Though im not an expert in the technique. Might i suggest stretched sprue and tamiya extra thin to melt it into the base plastic? 

That plus 'sculpting' / filing between the ribs with a small round file? 

• Like 4

On 7/19/2018 at 7:55 AM, Ventora3300 said:

That plus 'sculpting' / filing between the ribs with a small round file? 

Gently does it! Stretched sprue would definitely be the answer.

Or you sand paper all the ribs and end up with a rib-free horizontal surface. Not many people would notice, really. This is a much better option than binning this beautiful kit!

Don't stress!

JR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jean said:

Gently does it! Stretched sprue would definitely be the answer.

Or you sand paper all the ribs and end up with a rib-free horizontal surface. Not many people would notice, really. This is a much better option than binning this beautiful kit!

Don't stress!

JR

Or perhaps sand them all off and replace with staples, think that could be the solution given I’ve never stretched sprue before.cheers I think I’ll try it 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Or perhaps sand them all off and replace with staples, think that could be the solution given I’ve never stretched sprue before.cheers I think I’ll try it 

Whatever you do, do not give up on this B-26.

Cheers

JR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Try the stretched sprue option. Once you've got the hang of it there's no looking back.

I use a Zippo as the heat source but a tealight is most people's preferred option.

If you play about with how hot the sprue is, you'll be able to do different thicknesses.

Have a look on YouTube, there are loads of tutorials.

• Like 2

Decided to try the staples first, and whilst I’d like them to be smaller, doubt I can do better with the sprue starching, with my clumsyness I’m best kept distance from flames less you hear about a severe inferno down in Kent on the news. 

43570634482_a0a0d3c3dc_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1