I really must concentrate. Italeri H-34 n 48th scale...

Ok, I should really stop looking on the shelf of doom but then again, why not?  I purchased the Italeri H-34 last year or was it early this year? Time muddles the mind! It wasn't really on the shelf but rather lurking in my (rather large) Wessex stash...

I have a rather large plastic box, with all the Wessex kit so far released, plus some duplicates plus. all my reference stacked alongside, all 40 years of collecting!!!

Anyway. the H-34 is where Italeri originally meant to start this series of H-34/Wessex models. However, the 20th Anninversary of the Falklands War, prompted Italeri to produce a Wessex HU (UH sic) Mk5. So after three other incarnations of the moulds, we finally end up back where they wanted to start. With the HU (UH sic) Mk 5, HAS Mk1 and HAS Mk 3 and now an H-34. Ok, I still haven't seen an Italian H-34 version relese, which you would have thought Italeri would have been only too eager to release. It may well be out there and I think Italeri may well have meant to release this as their first option. Sometimes plans go aria!

Anyway, the kit has come through some good revisions after all the other disapointing presentations. The beetle back oil cooler cowling, now has all the slots in it and doesn't it look the dogs dangleis? Exactly what it should have been inthe first place!

The fusegae halves are much tidier and srisper than the previous releases but the main u/c's still leave a lot to be desired.

Not withstanding, we don't have the 'British' style u/c in this kit, it is the 'A' frame wide spread arrangement. A fix to prevet ground resonance on blade engagement.

Cockpit instrument panel has gone a change but not much else. As mentioned the detail looka a tad crisper, than previous releases. Nice to see!

Anyway, Itried to upload my images onto Photobucket earleir but hey, they are playing arsey tonight. So until I can post all my pics, you'll just have to dream.

Sorry for that but out of my control! Normal service will resume as soon as possible...

Until alter.

Colin

• Like 6

Photobucket is still giving me uphill.

Yes Bill, still with PB but after three days of no access, I'm getting a little more that peed off!!!

Colin

Edited by heloman1
more text added
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, heloman1 said:

Photobucket is still giving me uphill...

Colin

Change to Flickr or Postimage, life will become a whole lot easier, especially as Postimage now seem to be over their recent problems..

Martian 👽

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

Change to Flickr or Postimage, life will become a whole lot easier, especially as Postimage now seem to be over their recent problems..

Is it easy to move my PB images?

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

Many thanks Martin, I was hoping not to have to move! It seems as though I might not be able to avoid it.

Edited by heloman1
more text added
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, heloman1 said:

Is it easy to move my PB images?

Many thanks Martin, I was hoping not to have to move! It seems as though I might not be able to avoid it.

I too did not want the fag of moving but once I did, I didn't look back. Posting pictures was no longer a longwinded chore and doing updates became fun again.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 2

To be fair Colin I wasn't able to find any way of migrating the PB images out to Postimage but as the pictures are still on my hard drive I make new galleries for old topics in there

It takes me five or six minutes to take some pictures, load them into Postimage and get them quickly in a thread

I do need to replace the pictures now missing from my Wessex and other builds with the consequent ones from Postimage

I just never find the energy so easily these days

Note to self... Sort Wessex pictures this week

Postimage is the one I find easier to use than even the popular Flickr, must be worth a look now that Flickr is merged with Smugmug and some are anticipating detrimental changes ahead

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

To be fair Colin I wasn't able to find any way of migrating the PB images out to Postimage but as the pictures are still on my hard drive I make new galleries for old topics in there

It takes me five or six minutes to take some pictures, load them into Postimage and get them quickly in a thread

I do need to replace the pictures now missing from my Wessex and other builds with the consequent ones from Postimage

I just never find the energy so easily these days

Note to self... Sort Wessex pictures this week

Postimage is the one I find easier to use than even the popular Flickr, must be worth a look now that Flickr is merged with Smugmug and some are anticipating detrimental changes ahead

Thanks Bill.

OK guys, once I can get some images posted, I'll show you the direction this build will be taking.

As I have a Gallery H-34 kit which is far superior tot he Italeri kit, I'll be building the Italeri kit as the Wessex prototype. XL722 in it's EDSG over Sky scheme. That will give me an added option into what wil become a whole family of Wessex models. Well, that is if I get my head around buildigna crab cab!

Suffice it to say, as of this morning, the nose of the Italeri H-34 has been modified to that which XL722 sported.

Thanks Martin and Bill for your image hosting input, muchly appreciated.

Colin

• Like 2

I've got a Frog Wessex that is far superior to the Italeri one too

But sadly not the scale you need 

He he 

But I will enjoy you getting this/these into the plastic Colin

I have a couple of the very old Frog Wesssex, in some sort of disassembly/stalled projects. Yes, I still rate it as a good model and Italeri really should have got the dimension of the fuselage correct.

Colin

• Like 1

Ok guys, I'm back hopefully. I've registered with Postimages and got a folder/account. So all being well. here is where I'm at wth the H-34/Wessex prototype...

IMG_2740crre.jpg

IMG_2733crre.jpg

IMG_2738crre.jpg

IMG_2739crre.jpg

So the bottom two images show the nose with it's blanked off engine cooling air outlets blamked off. I used the PE part for the top (large) piece and the two on the side which overlap the side outlets were covered with masking tape to make patterns and then covered with plasticard. The clamshell doors exhaust port was backed with plasticard and then filled with Tamiya putty (is there nothing better?). The landing light was removed and filled again with plasticar as were the two horizontall intake grill opening. The oil cooler on the fus, underside was also filler. Now, I have to fashion radius rod legs for the undercarriage as the H-34 come with the wide stance A frame u/c.

Ok, guys, I'm out of here until the end of the month. My lady and I are off to Spain and Portugal for three weeks on Thursday. MotoGP tickets for the Barcelona GP. The rest, sightseeing and lots of good food and wine...

Cheers for now.

Colin

• Like 10

Have a good time Colin, sounds as if you'll have a good time

As for the Prototype Wessex are you intending to use your plug on the fuselage, or is the H34 moulding modified to fit the ideal?

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Have a good time Colin, sounds as if you'll have a good time

As for the Prototype Wessex are you intending to use your plug on the fuselage, or is the H34 moulding modified to fit the ideal?

Hi Bill, I'm doing a Westlands conversion. H-34 kit into the prototype. Hence the panel fills, just got to add the new engine intake to the front. I originally made a conversion, when I started ROTORcraft but used the old Revell kit (what a horror). The Italeri kit is much better but still not perfect!

Only able to do more on my return.

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, guys I'm back form my travells. Not a hobby shop in site, although I did come across a good art shop in Barcelona which had a couple of kits in the window. MasterBox Fletner in 1/35th scale. 

I need a couple of days to sort my laundry etc. Then I can get back to real life, plastic modelling...

Colin

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Your welcom Alan, the more Wessex fans we have watching the better. Apologies to all who have been following. I've been away from my model bench for a while. It's mid winter here in sunny South Africa, the hands get cold etc...

I've made a little progress, pics to follow later today.

Colin

• Like 3

I'll sit in from Canada, although a Wessex, isn't at the very top of my list, I'd love to see an S58T conversion....... this will be interesting for me, as I have heard all sorts about this kit, good , but mostly not so good, I did the 1/72 version and I thought it was good.... maybe just me and my lousy modeling skills..... anyway, I'd love to take a seat and follow along, if that works?

Cheers

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff you are most welcome. The 48th kits from Italeri are better than the 72nd kits. In that the 72 kit has 6mm missing from the fus/tail cone transition piece. So you it looks odd!!!

Colin

• Like 1

So, a little later than last week, when Ipromissed imags of the progress. Sadly the week got away from me and then we spent the weekend in Cape Town buying orchids...

Not totally lost for me, as Imanaged to pick up 10m of Peco flexi-track and four turn-outs at a for us here in SA a bargain price. My small layout gets a little closer...

Ok, I'm mated the nose clamshell doors to the fus, not easy, so i used superglue to fix the one side and then once set up the other!!! I then fiddled around with the mesh over the MRHGB. The dims are wrong here but  I'll guide you through it. The frame for the grill fits like an oven glove!!! However after thinning the frame down on the underside the mesh helps the fit a lot better. They take a lot of abuse whilst in service, so neat is not necessary!

So.............................Postimages is not working for me tonight. So before I tare all my remaining hair out, I'm going to give up!!!

Colin