Avro 504 K - 1/72nd ##FINISHED##

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

John, the control cables have turned out fantastically and it's hard to believe this is 1/72 - the Avro looks like it could fly! Having just rigged the Bristol F.2B, I can appreciate now the level of skill you are putting in to run the wires, avoid blobs of glue and a turn out a pristine finish. I've just noticed the red 'sockets' or 'sleeves' you have put on the ends of all the struts - immaculate detailing! This is a cracker. All the best. Mike.

Thanks very much Mike, I feel that it's coming together nicely now. I did manage to do some tidying of the undersides tonight and then tried my hand at giving the propeller a wood finish, hopefully this will be dry enough to photograph without the risk of smudging it tomorrow. That will leave a few more missing details that I would like to add, if I can manage to make them - windscreens being one of them.

Cheers

• Like 2

The prop has been drying for 24 hours but the oil paint still has a sheen and I understand that when the paint is dry enough to handle it should appear to have a matt look. Anyway with some careful handling I have been able to take a photo of how my wood look attempt turned out. I used a base of Revell Aqua Color Beige, and when this had dried I brushed some Abteilung 501 Dark Rust over the top, gradually building up the colour to what you see below. Once I am satisfied that this is dry I will paint the boss a steel colour and add a clear coat.

44254012514_f2be96109a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

I was able to add the last few details to this one over the past couple of days, finishing with rigging the rudder this morning. and that is job done. I have really enjoyed building this, and I can't remember the last time that I made use of an Airfix stand, it has been the most fun I have had on a model for a while. The rigging was worth doing and I feel that because of the extensive undercarriage rigging, really sets the look of this model off. 

30070717407_4803869eab_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44095906695_9ea0063c61_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44287785664_4fc9126d3b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44095907165_05d0422d21_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks to all those who took the time to look in on this build and for all the generous comments and encouragement along the way.

• Like 18

For such a simple basic kit, this is surprisingly beautiful in so many ways. This 504 was a joy to watch and the final product is one of the best exhibitions of skilful 1/72 craftsmanship.

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

• Like 3

Thanks again to all you good people above for the kind comments. Having taken the opportunity to look at the photos again, I have realised that I've forgotten to make the underwing skids :wall:. I am trying to wrap up the Bloodhound build at the moment, but if I get the chance I'll make some and get them on before next weekend, then reshoot the gallery pics if that is OK with everyone.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Murdo said:

A crackingly neat build. Very well done indeed!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Murdo.

15 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have already commented, but I must point out how fine the rigging is.  

Thanks for posting your comment on the rigging John it is really appreciated. I'll take a photo during the week of the thread with something in shot to give a sense of scale. 

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Good job mate. Hope mine comes out half as good. 👍

Thanks for the kind comment Steve. There are still other details like the pipework that runs down the cabane struts and the reinstatement of the stringers that run from behind the rear cockpit to the tail which could be added to improve things further.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

After adding the missing underwing skids this morning, 

by John L, on Flickr

So that's what they are..... - I think the Bristol Fighter has these as well and I thought they were something to do with the aileron actuators. They must be there in case a wingtip touches down when landing. Absolutely fascinating details John. Excellent finish. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

Lured by the painting on the bag top I brought this as my first ever kit. I ended up a monoplane with damaged undercarriage. Now I can see what it should have looked like.

Fantastic work and very impressive work with the rigging especially. I am suitably in awe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:36, Ventora3300 said:

So that's what they are..... - I think the Bristol Fighter has these as well

Yes it does Mike, along with the wing surface they make up  a sort of rounded triangular shape as you can see here. I made those on the 504 from 0.5mm copper wire.

• Thanks 1

Hi John,

it could be said in certain circles that you have surpassed yourself with this build. I would agree wholeheartedly!

This Avro is simply magnificent!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 2