Avro 504 K - 1/72nd ##FINISHED##

My second choice for the GB is this Avro 504 K, The decals look a bit better in this boxing, I need to decide which of the two options I am going to do yet, but the box art has me leaning towards the silver dope bird.

40602440300_db36ea2d01_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40602439180_16337b4e03_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickrr

42410617881_fecab4a9ab_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

I once owned this 504 kit, however all those struts and the follow-up rigging made me realise that I'd have no way of doing this kit any justice. 

Shame really as it is quite iconic to the airline that religiously deposits funds into my bank account every second Tuesday - hey that's today!! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Shame really as it is quite iconic to the airline that religiously deposits funds into my bank account every second Tuesday - hey that's today!! 

Happy pay day Dave,, spend it wisely now. :D Mine won't arrive until the 1st of the month and not even then if it falls at a weekend. :violin:

• Haha 3

Lucky you! I get nothing!!!

This is a nice kit John. It did not stop mine having everything out of kilter, when I attempted to build it eons ago. You live and try to learn.

Have fun! And you are right, the silver doped one does look good!

JR

• Like 2

Seeing the old airfix boxes on here makes me want to buy them ALL!

Now if I did could I blame it all on the TSB cock up that's been going on before SWMBO caught on? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

It was good to make a proper start on this one during the afternoon and using some grey primer I applied a coat to the struts, seats, instrument panels and fuselage halves, with more going on the upper surface of the lower wings and lower surface of the upper wings. Then a quick spray of satin black on the crew figures as a base for painting those, followed by some Light Aircraft Grey on the fuselage interior and I'll paint some more of the details later using the colours indicated in the kit,

With a brief nod to the days of my 'youf' I thought that I would pop this one on the stand from the Firefly kit, it's hard to remember the last time I used an Airfix stand.

43799622974_9190c3882f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Great to see this one back on the work bench. All those struts scare the hell out of me, then you've got to have the paitence to apply rigging in between!! I'll be keen to see you tackle this one John... Looking good so far. 

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 4

After checking that I would be able to fit the seats and pilots with the fuselage joined together, I added the instrument panels to one half and glued both halves. I've also painted the struts with a tan colour and they need to have some red painted at their tips to complete them. The seats were painted with the same tan colour and the cushions have had matt leather applied, I haven't bothered to fill the ejector pin mark because it will be covered be pilot. There isn't much to choose between the two colours, so I think that I'll try and darken the cushion with some oil paint.

44536126111_91c49f633d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

42727149830_dbb64585ec_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44536122981_8602375137_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44536124561_9b5fd88ef1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I've had a test fit of the lower wing too, and once I have cleaned up the fuselage joins I will need to do a bit of fettling to get it sitting square to the fuselage.

• Like 5

I made a start on tidying the fuselage seams this morning and whilst the top just needed a smear of filler, it was a different story on the underside which had a significant step from behind the lower wing to just forward of the tailpost. I decided to add a plastic shim to the lowest half and blend the rest with green putty, this is what I have after an initial sanding session.

44549544041_f69786c402_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29611407617_ee23658115_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job is to polish and mask up the metal area in front of the forward cockpit in preparation for some black paint before I give it a few thin coats of a silver colour.

• Like 10

I made a start on getting some colour on this over the weekend (if you can call the monochrome shades of grey and silver, colour :winkgrin:) masking off and painting the silver areas of the nose first. This was followed with the first thin coat of Hu.166 Light Aircraft Grey on the fuselage, which for some reason is taking an age to dry and has remained tacky overnight. I use a battery stirrer to mix my paint and this was thinned with Colourcoats thinner, anyway it is drying over some gentle heat at the moment.

My intention had been to brush paint this model, just as I would have done when I first started to paint my models, but I may have to break out the airbrush and resort to spraying it, we will see how things go today.

43872580614_0dc7cdf517_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Whilst the paint was drying on the fuselage, I made a start on drilling out the rigging locations using a 0.5mm drill. I have completed most the inter-strut locations and I am waiting for a reference book to arrive before I drill the remaining holes for the undercarriage and control wires. 

LOWER WING

43872577084_3ed02618fc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

UPPER WING

43872577734_19679a4575_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

Sorry for the lack of progress on this one, but I have been waiting the arrival of a reference book so that I can drill for the last few wires. Things were getting a little confusing around the skid/undercarriage but the book has cleared that up. I drilled the required holes this afternoon and pressed on with the painting. After the issue with Humbrol 166 not drying on the fuselage, I decided to dig out some Xtracrylics for the remaining surfaces and brushed a couple of thinned coats on after completing the drilling work, it looks a little thin in places so I think that I will add a final coat. Whilst I was on a roll I painted the end of the struts with some red and they are now ready for assembly. It's nearly time to get the spider fired up for the rigging work. :winkgrin:

44612731972_ba5bab9828_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44662311681_f6189d1b99_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The time waiting wasn't completely wasted though, I did manage to start assembling and painting these two future Airfix Classics for the Dedicated Kit GB.

30792003178_84974f597f_c.jpg

44612731432_84da8bc9c6_c.jpg

• Like 5

When it comes to the rigging you can never have too many references.

I'm doing a Vimy now and I have books, magazines and photos all over my spare modelling desks, snack table, floor, filing box. . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When it comes to the rigging you can never have too many references.

I'm doing a Vimy now and I have books, magazines and photos all over my spare modelling desks, snack table, floor, filing box. . . .

That's a real Cats Cradle of rigging. I thought that it was bad enough with two bays, but you have the added complication of a double tail and engine bays.

In one of my crazier moments I had a go at rigging this 1/144th Sopwith Pup in a failed attempt at last years Blitzbuild. I used 0.1mm nickel/silver wire, which is over scale, but didn't bother with any flying control wires. 

37784858252_e7d9483efc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

After another afternoon priming session for the remaining parts, I made a start on adding upper wing by attaching the interplane struts to the upper wing first, then fixing this assembly to the lower wing. The cabane struts were glued in place next, a word of caution here, the instructions have the numbers for these parts incorrectly identified and show the pair of shorter struts fitted inside the forward cockpit and up to the upper wing. This pair of struts should be fixed to the positions forward of the front cockpit opening with the longer pair seated inside the cockpit. I hope that makes sense, but it is fairly obvious once you start to assemble the different parts.

43772296695_b64e9de27b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I still need to paint the strut attachments on the upper wing before I can start rigging. I removed the rudder early on in the build and I have added control horns that I made from a piece of scrap plastic sheet.

43962744854_2aae431feb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44631823172_201f817ca9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The final job for today was adding the tailplanes, the forward single pair of struts went on OK, but the rear one had to be cut in two and trimmed to get it sitting correctly without pushing the tailplanes upwards and out of horizontal.

44631822522_4f301f0ca1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The wing/strut/tailplane assembly will now be left to set up before I continue with any further work.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a real Cats Cradle of rigging. I thought that it was bad enough with two bays, but you have the added complication of a double tail and engine bays.

In one of my crazier moments I had a go at rigging this 1/144th Sopwith Pup in a failed attempt at last years Blitzbuild. I used 0.1mm nickel/silver wire, which is over scale, but didn't bother with any flying control wires. 

37784858252_e7d9483efc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Rigging at 1/144th!...respect!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

The cabane struts were glued in place next, a word of caution here, the instructions have the numbers for these parts incorrectly identified and show the pair of shorter struts fitted inside the forward cockpit and up to the upper wing. This pair of struts should be fixed to the positions forward of the front cockpit opening with the longer pair seated inside the cockpit. I hope that makes sense, but it is fairly obvious once you start to assemble the different parts.

That's exactly the same as on the Bristol F.2B - the instructions are wrong with regards to the fuselage struts. You got it though and the 504 is looking great - the wooden struts have turned out well. Well done. Mike.

• Like 2

I am not much of a figure painter which is why they don't often appear in my builds, but I have painted the crew for this build. Because I have added the upper wing the forward figure has had to lose his legs below the knee, I have also given a nod to the 'wearing out' period allowed when the uniform changed to Blue/Grey, yes, I know that this is supposed to represent a No 4 FTS aircraft serving in Egypt, but it's my model and these chaps are cold. :P

43976613794_02ba11f713_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3