Fairey Firefly Mk.5 - 1/72nd ++FINISHED++

Nearly there with this one now. The last few details like undercarriage doors and aerials have been fitted and it has had some matt clear brushed on. Just a couple of minor details to paint up tomorrow and it should be ready for the gallery photos.

30611214168_4a4ded9eba_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30611213608_63dd1fe367_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 14

How good does that look?? Wonderful stuff John, the Firefly I was ‘watching’ has escalated to silly money, so I’ll let that one go. They’ve probably seen this great build and it’s tempted them to raise the price a tad! 

Cheers and looking forward to another superb gallery entry... Dave 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Thankyou for the kind comments gents. I am pleased with how this one has turned out and I agree with @stevehnz it would be a nice candidate for a Classic Kit boxing. 

I completed the painting of the last few details this morning, so I am going to call this one finished. The etch set has a mirror for the pilot, but it looks oversize and I have chosen to leave it off for the moment, this has been a lot of fun to build and I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to comment, encourage and offer helpful advice along the way.

Here then is my attempt at building the Airfix Firefly MK.5.

43770367344_8d1f0e2fce_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43770366084_2ee1d7e843_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44439218332_11b7b6bde3_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44439217152_9df6fa3659_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

There are a few more photos over in the gallery. Time to press on with other builds now, two of those are for this GB, one is almost complete but the Avro 504 is barely started. Busy, Busy. :frantic:

• Like 8

I can only echo what others have said e this fine build. Good work.

One thing I was always mystified about was the box art. Is it landing or has it missed a wire??  The hook is up and bombs loaded so that rules the landing bit out. So it must be taking off or should that be launched in which case its not very far from the ships superstructure is it.??Great artwork though a classic among the many others featured on Airfix box tops/wrappers of the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John, promise me that once this GB is over (yes sad I know) you’ll grab a group shot of all your Airfix builds and place it in the chat section. I love your photo technique and overall presentations. This Firefly is a master build and it was so good to see it take shape and completed. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

John, promise me that once this GB is over (yes sad I know) you’ll grab a group shot of all your Airfix builds and place it in the chat section. I love your photo technique and overall presentations. This Firefly is a master build and it was so good to see it take shape and completed. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

I'll do that Dave. My plan over the next week is to spend as much of my spare time as I can on trying to finish my builds for this GB, leaving me a week to try and build a pair of Mustangs for the Dedicated Kit GB.  I hope that it works out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like the Firefly in the invasion stripe schemes, they just seem to suit some aircraft better than others. You rendition is really well done and looks just right to my eyes. Excellent work.

• Like 2