Fairey Firefly Mk.5 - 1/72nd ++FINISHED++

My first entry for the GB is this 1/72 scale boxing of the Fairey Firefly Mk.5. The decals have yellowed over time so I will have to have a rummage through the stocks to see I have, and if there is nothing I can use then I will have to search for something aftermarket.

Initial progress will be slow to start with because I have a few other builds for other GB's to complete first.

40602444820_7215755a8a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40602442590_24df85545b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40602443640_4be5e90287_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40602441550_656d9a2efb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 15

Great choice, John. I have never built a Fairey Firefly (of any kit manufacturer) but do have this kit tucked away so looking forward to your build. Best of Luck.

• Like 3

Hi John,

that will be nice to follow. This kit has mesmerized me since I was a kid, on account of the box art, which in my eyes is one of sexiest ever made for the myriad of Airfix kits.

I sadly never built it though. Now that I am older and wiser (???) I think I will go for a Special Hobby (if I am not mistaken) offering. 

But I am still terribly keen to see the result of your artistry at work.

Cheers and have a lot of fun.

JR

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments guys. This will be a first time of this kit and of a Firefly for me too, so I hope that I can do it justice. Feel free to chip in with any tips and suggestions along the way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

that will be nice to follow. This kit has mesmerized me since I was a kid, on account of the box art, which in my eyes is one of sexiest ever made for the myriad of Airfix kits.

I sadly never built it though. Now that I am older and wiser (???) I think I will go for a Special Hobby (if I am not mistaken) offering. 

But I am still terribly keen to see the result of your artistry at work.

Cheers and have a lot of fun.

JR

Special Hobby do indeed have the Firefly V. It's a good kit, though I fancy that the Airfix kit has the better propeller blade planform.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When contemplating my build choice(s) for this GB it was either going to be the Skyvan, Beaver or this Firefly.

In the end the Beaver won out, however I'm so glad to be able to see one of these kits being added to this GB.

With raised rivets, what appears to be pale blue plastic and yellowed decals - what's not to like!!

Will look forward to your progress as time rolls on.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:43, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for the comments guys. This will be a first time of this kit and of a Firefly for me too, so I hope that I can do it justice. Feel free to chip in with any tips and suggestions along the way.

I doubt I would have any useful tips to offer - but I'm sure going to enjoy watching the build John.

:popcorn:and more in reserve 🍿

• Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, nimrod54 said:

Hi John,

I'm just in the throes of finishing one of these - not too bad of a build, few places

required some putty (though that could be my own cause). The Exhausts are  a bit fragile.

I added wheel well walls and made the offices a bit more busy...

ddbea118-691d-4f49-bb95-8cf07819db42.jpg

Look forward to your build

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Good luck with your build dude. I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that, you could leave yellowed decals out in the sun to reduce/ remove the yellowing. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck with your build dude. I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that, you could leave yellowed decals out in the sun to reduce/ remove the yellowing. 

Yup.....that's i'm hoping for with some ahem...past it decals for a possible additional build in the gb👍

• Like 3

I love the box art for this one. Great choice!

I built this with my Dad back in the day and it was one of my first Airfix kits that I can clearly remember (first of many).

I look forward to your build.

All the best Greg 👍👍👍

• Like 4

Nice start to a nice subject. That PE certainly makes for easy detailing. Never tried the stuff so might take the gamble one of these days. Looking good John. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Good luck with the Airwaves etch. I've yet to see or hear of anyone that could make any of their stuff fit!

Ian

And i thought it was just me!

i manged to shoe horn the set for the monogram typhoon in but the pilot heel plates (for want of a better word!) are *ahem* almost where they are meant to be and the parts of the kit pilot seat the instructions have you remove are crazy...

i have another monogram kit (and i bought the airwaves set for it!). Glutton for punishment 😆

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

With work on the Interceptor stalled due to the weather I decided to jump back on this one, but then hit a slight issue with the Airwaves etch set and their instructions. It all revolves around the sidewall frames in the cockpit openings and I need to look for some photos to clarify things in those areas before finally fixing them in place.

Still looking for something to do, I decided to assemble the wings and fitted the etch- radiator grilles and Master's Hispano short fairing cannons.

43671091432_0909bb4df1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29847986438_4261d0df60_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I then had a look at the exhaust stacks and thought that these could be improved with the use of some tubing. I found that, whist it would be a snug  fit, I could slide some 1.2 mm tubing down over the existing plastic. I then cut 5mm lengths of tube, snipped off the end of plastic pipe, leaving a little over half of its length to push the cut tube over and the completed assemblies were then glued in place.

29847985368_664e8481df_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 15