1/72 Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star

Hi Guys,

I will be in with this old girl and some later boxing decals (bought on ebay) due to the originals being MIA. Pictures will follow when I return from holiday.

Dave

• Like 7

An Airfix Classic if ever there was one.

Many still hail this kit as good enough to be on sale even today, so perhaps it could make a re-appearance within Airfix's 'new' Classic Edition range.

Will look forward to this build taking shape.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

I'd love to have another one of these but I can't find one at any price close to affordable. I shall sit and drool over there while you work :)

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3

As promised, here is the kit with later issue decals. Having picked this up from a show, the previous owner had painted the interior hence the green around the cockpit area. I am also toying with getting the airwaves etched brass set for this; has anyone ever used it?

IMG_20180604_121913

• Like 11

Great choice,

This one of my favourites from back in the day. Quite pricey second hand now though.

I have never used airwaves PE before so can't really comment other than I imagine it could be tricky on such a small kit.

Enjoy your build.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

I love the scheme! I am looking to start mine this weekend (after my bike has been MOT'd), and have ordered the PE to see if it is any good.

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realise AW did an etch set for this, I think I just found another need to add to my next order from Hannants. I'll be watching this like a hawk to see how you get on with it. :) No pressure now. :D

Steve.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, all the woes I have heard regarding Airwaves PE are true! The fit has been awful, I have spent the last couple of weeks testing, hacking bits off and walking away lest it all ended up out of the window. Anyway, it is all closed up and typically virtually nothing can be seen (plus I have managed to crush the seat frame in the process...). Oh well.

I will be leaving this for a couple of weeks whilst I finish off some more urgent projects but it will not be forgotten.

IMG_20180702_111633

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Right guys, I am back with it again. The air intakes have been attached, filled and blended, and the wings assembled ready to be attached. Now to crack on!

IMG_20180727_200548

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Right, training now complete and am on leave so I can finally crack on with this and the Blenheim. The wings are attached, but there are huge gaps at the roots:

IMG_20180731_165155

So a bit of filling later:

IMG_20180811_191301

Some polishing required too methinks.

• Like 11

Ok, everything now attached (bar tanks and ordnance), and ready for priming. I have somehow managed to crush the ejection seat housing so will have to sort that too :wall:

IMG_20180819_125626

• Like 6

I am not sure it shows up well on here, but Halfords Aluminium is very bright! It is somewhat "orange peeled" which is annoying.

IMG_20180827_152927

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

That’s looking great. There’s still plenty of time so don’t rush this just yet. My theory is that if your not happy with something on your build, this will be the first thing you’ll see each time you view it. Recovery plays a huge part in all my builds and it’s a shame to come this far to accept errors. Have a sleep on it, you might wake up with fresh ideas. 

Having said all that waffle, what’s exactly the issue? I see perhaps a bumpy canopy frame but not much else, she’s looking lovely! 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 3