Beaufighter Prototype - Hasegawa Mk VI conversion 1/72

Why not make an exception and have this model on the ground, then you can have all the detail you want on show. Especially that nice undercarriage and those Bristols (snurf, snurf).

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank goodness, only just over 1 page, I'm not so late after. Sorry CED, no help with flat tail planes, its a flat brain is the problem here, 6:30 am & been at work all night. :(

Steve.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2018 at 16:18, GrzeM said:

307 had Mk.II (Merlin inline) with flat tailplanes and Mk.VI (radial Hercules) with both flat and non-flat (with dihedral) tails. Also Polish MkVI were both black or grey/green camouflaged. Then they've got Mosquitoes.

8.jpg

Thanks Grzegorz :) I've been researching myself into a coma over the last few days... it seems that the Beau was fitted and retro-fitted with all sorts. I'll try to summarise what I've found later.

On 29/05/2018 at 21:22, keefr22 said:

Hello Ced, we're here....

Keith & :dinosaur:

Welcome Keith and T! :) 

On 29/05/2018 at 23:13, The Spadgent said:

Oooh lovely. You’re deffo up to the job and then some.🤩 I have the Tamiya one, great planes. I’ll :popcorn: and try not to miss too much this time. 

Johnny.

Welcome Jont :) 

On 30/05/2018 at 11:24, Martian Hale said:

Why not make an exception and have this model on the ground, then you can have all the detail you want on show. Especially that nice undercarriage and those Bristols (snurf, snurf).

Martian 👽

Oooh, tempting... I'll have a think :) 

On 30/05/2018 at 12:06, Biggles87 said:

I always associate the flat tailplanes with the Merlin engines. Someone did a conversion in 1/48 years ago, can't remember who, but that wouldn't be any use to you anyway, just saying.

John

Thanks John :) I think you're right that Merlin powered ones had flat tailplanes but other variants had them too. Confusing.

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thank goodness, only just over 1 page, I'm not so late after. Sorry CED, no help with flat tail planes, its a flat brain is the problem here, 6:30 am & been at work all night. :(

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) I have a brain problem too, up to my eyes in conflicting / confusing references. Rats.

I'll try to sort myself out and decide on a subject, hopefully soon.

I can find nothing on this:

beaufit12a.jpg

I think it may be one of the many variants that got retro-fitted after issues with the aircraft nosing down when the cannons were fired?

Confused of Bath...

• Like 6

Hi Ced, will follow with interest. 

Have just received a copy of the 'Modellers Datafile 6' on the Beaufighter, apparently the 'go to' reference for this type. If you need any info it may be of help. Apparently FAA Merlin powered NF Mk IIf aircraft had Dihedral tail-planes, as well two Merlin powered trials aircraft. MK I's and VI's seemed a mixture, but let me know as the chapter showing the differences between early, mid and late of all marks are pretty comprehensive!

I have these to build, up to a month ago I didn't have a kit of a Beau', now I have 6 !!

(sorry, spoiling your thread with more kit photo's!)

Davey.

DSC_0013DSC_0014

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I'll try to sort myself out and decide on a subject, hopefully soon.

There is always the famous Mk I that dropped the Tricolour over the Arc de Triomphe in June 1942. Afaik, the C1 type roundels in the Wikipedia article photo are thought to have been changed after the famous mission.

Steve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

I can find nothing on this:

beaufit12a.jpg

I think it may be one of the many variants that got retro-fitted after issues with the aircraft nosing down when the cannons were fired?

I've never seen that before. Figment of the artists imagination perhaps - maybe based on an Air Ministry idea? Looks ugly to me whatever! 

K

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Hi Ced, will follow with interest. 

Have just received a copy of the 'Modellers Datafile 6' on the Beaufighter, apparently the 'go to' reference for this type. If you need any info it may be of help. Apparently FAA Merlin powered NF Mk IIf aircraft had Dihedral tail-planes, as well two Merlin powered trials aircraft. MK I's and VI's seemed a mixture, but let me know as the chapter showing the differences between early, mid and late of all marks are pretty comprehensive!

I have these to build, up to a month ago I didn't have a kit of a Beau', now I have 6 !!

(sorry, spoiling your thread with more kit photo's!)

Davey.

[clip photos]

Thanks Davey :) Now I have Beau envy :envy:

I'm going to a model show in Salisbury on Saturday and I might just put my 'stash purchase hold' on hold if I see some of those...

I'd found the Datafile during my reference search but the cheapest I could find it was £47!

Then I found it on scribd.com as a download and they offer a 30 day free trial ($8.99 per month afterwards) so I've signed up for that.

I've downloaded the Beaufighter Datafile, and the Hurricane and Spitfire ones.

I've also downloaded the 'Camouflage and Markings' guides for the Beau, Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim and the Hawker Typhoon.

They also have issues of Scale Modeller; although not everything can be downloaded you can read stuff online.

may cancel after the 30 day free offer. But then I'd feel a bit guilty. A bit.

I guess, like those insurance policies you get offered with white goods, they hope you'll forget to cancel.

It's in my calendar, with an alert. We shall see.

13 hours ago, waylandsmithy said:

Just worked out how to 'follow'. I've never built anything by Hasegawa, Academy or Tamiya...must remedy that!

This looks like a great kit. I love anything with two engines (any more is just showing off).

Thanks Smithy :) Hasegawa are recommended by many on BM and they're very nice kits. A bit dear, but very nice.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There is always the famous Mk I that dropped the Tricolour over the Arc de Triomphe in June 1942. Afaik, the C1 type roundels in the Wikipedia article photo are thought to have been changed after the famous mission.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - helpful, and a good story :) 

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I've never seen that before. Figment of the artists imagination perhaps - maybe based on an Air Ministry idea? Looks ugly to me whatever! 

K

Thanks Keith :) I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere too... maybe someone told the artist there were four cannons so he just stuck them on the nose?

Looks ugly? Ugly! It's a Bristol! How very dare you :D 

Off to read the Datafile now so hopefully I'll make my mind up soon...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Welcome Leon, nice to see you :) 

Right, I've decided.

Partly due to being 'referenced out' reading up on the 'Beaufort-Fighter'. I have about 20 links in my notes file now.

Partly due to the fact that this won't be the only Beau I build.

But mainly due to the fact I got stuck on the first Beaufighter page of the SAM guide. I got fixated on this:

First_Prototype_of_Bristol_Beaufighter_R

The first prototype. NMF with aluminium painted fabric. Nice.

Note the lumps under the nacelles. What are they? They're not present on photos of this aircraft later. Not in the kit either. Hmmm. 

Note that she hasn't flown yet so the collector rings are pretty clean (Chris I might do a bit of heat colouring).

Must check the canopy framing.

The roundels and underwing serials will be sprayed (gulp) but I'll use transfers for the serials on the fuselage - too small for me.

Certainly won't have 'bronze' collectors like the only other Beau I currently have, the old Airfix TFX:

40683165930_3c3e6846a7_z.jpg

Built that ages ago so don't look too closely.

I also have the new Airfix TFX in the stash.

Looks like I have a Beautiful future...

Better get on with it.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, CedB said:

How very dare you :D

Easy - it's pig ugly!! :bleh:  (apologies to any pigs reading this....)

Whether it's real or not whoever 'designed' that ruined the nose - it looks like a fat, bloated Whirlwind....!! :rofl2:

I do like your choice for the build though, looking forward to seeing that one come to life!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lumps under nacelles are oil coolers, relocated to leading edge in production models.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) Really helpful...

That means I need to 'move' the oil coolers from the wings which means I need to get rid of these:

28621918898_ff149e634a_z.jpg

... and the cartridge ejection ports. At least I'll be able to use these:

40686743380_26ac259417_z.jpg

to give me the size. 

While reaching for those I knocked over my pot of toothpicks, again:

41772182034_b6eb63657d_z.jpg

Pick-up-sticks anyone?

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Easy - it's pig ugly!! :bleh:  (apologies to any pigs reading this....)

Whether it's real or not whoever 'designed' that ruined the nose - it looks like a fat, bloated Whirlwind....!! :rofl2:

I do like your choice for the build though, looking forward to seeing that one come to life!

Keith

Awww Keith... each to his own :) 

Thanks Simon :) I'm hoping to use the AK paste again (I love using it) but I'm wondering how it'll take paint over the top for the serials and roundels. I suppose I could do those first and mask them up? :mental:

I've finally made some progress:

28621683738_d58a288b6c_z.jpg

In case it's of interest, here's my Colourcoats painting set up:

28621678168_2b63e1cfb9_z.jpg

Open tin, stir with Badger stirrer, clean that in the dirty white spirit pot and wipe off.

Thinners in the paint cup, paint in the cup (with the same pipette), mix in the cup using the pipette (suck, blow, repeat)

Spray the model.

Clean the AB with low odour white spirit (cheap from building suppliers - just in the AK bottle as it's smaller) using a new pipette. Put that aside for next time.

Discard painty pipettes wrapped in kitchen towel.

Easy peasy and a lovely finish to boot!

Yes, I have changed the paper base in the booth, just for you :) 

• Like 10

That is a really interesting choice of finish and I look forward to following it enormously!

Expectant of Mars 👽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

That is a really interesting choice of finish and I look forward to following it enormously!

I wish to associate myself with those remarks from the Rt. Hon. member for Mars North.

• Haha 4

Thanks Martian, Chris and Tony :) I like NMF, a lot...

Before I can get there though I need to (gulp) hack the coolers off. This Tamiya saw gets nicely under the cover and bend around the curves:

42496158911_df3d990c53_z.jpg

Had it off in no time (fnaar!). It wouldn't bite on the bottom (oh, come on!) one though so I had to start the cut with a stiffer craft saw (what IS wrong with you??):

41773791544_9a388fa1f0_z.jpg

Back with the bendy saw and that was soon off too:

42444576022_7ffc8dd977_z.jpg

I've now glued the wing halves together (as per the instructions) and blobbed some rubber black on the tailwheel tyre.

Flying along now.

Peg in the ground - I'm not a 'proper modeller' but I do try to bash kits as nicely as I can. However, if anyone suggests correcting incorrect panels lines or other rivet-counter stuff I will stick my fingers in my ears and go la-la-la :lalala:

That said, please do feel free to comment on such things in case a proper modeller needs the info for their build :) 

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Ced, you're actually altering a kit! You have, without knowing it,  become what is generally called "A proper modeller"! It's all downhill from here, no more OOB   (now I have to wash my mouth out with carbolic soap. Oh wait, maybe wash my fingers?). 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress, and you're right, even silver Bristols are pretty! It's a shame they never made one in PRU Pink........

Ian

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thinners in the paint cup, paint in the cup (with the same pipette), mix in the cup using the pipette (suck, blow, repeat)

As a matter of interest, what ratio are you using? Pressure?

Stuart

• Like 1

I never think to look into these online book viewing sites, although sometimes it's nice to have a proper book. I find stuff I have bought for my iPad kindle reader is great 'cos you can 'blow' pictures up to get a good look at details.

Prototype eh, look forward to this, I've never attempted a NMF before, well, not 'properly'.

Good luck with the build.

Davey.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian - yes, a few alterations. You're very kind suggesting I'm a proper modeller... but I'm not up to the standards shown elsewhere IMHO  :)

Stuart I'm following Jamie's video and thinning (with their thinners) 50/50 and spraying at 15psi. Works with 0.4 and 0.2mm nozzles :)

Thanks Davey :) Online books on the web aren't my cup of tea but I certainly read a LOT on my iPhone.

For the NMF I'm going to be doing a similar technique to that used for my Liberator and Airacuda. I like it!

Before progressing much further though I'd better test the paint over the AK paste. I've applied some aluminium and dark aluminium to the paint mule:

40689492710_acc3353305_z.jpg

I dipped the brush tip in some white spirit and then the paste - makes it flow better and (I hope) dry faster. I'll let that dry overnight.

The other wing of the mule has some test paints, now labelled:

42497695751_6af8d286f1_z.jpg

Rubbish photo, sorry.

I've also stuffed some sprue into the oil cooler holes:

42446202542_8dec53ca74_z.jpg

[Transmission from the first flight of the prototype:

Pilot; I say, can you hear that rattle?

Eng: Don't worry, some idiot pushed some sprue into the wing. No harm done.

]

I've also applied some Humbrol filler to the holes and the ejector ports:

28626614458_212f571d38_z.jpg

At the Salisbury show tomorrow so that'll get plenty of time to cure.

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm following Jamie's video and thinning (with their thinners) 50/50 and spraying at 15psi. Works with 0.4 and 0.2mm nozzles

I too followed the video but 50/50 at 15 with my nozzle didn't work well, not sure what the nozzle size is, changed to 60/40 (thinners/paint) at 20 and was miles better.

Carry on good sir.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1