Airfix 1/72 De Havilland DHC-2 Beaver ** FINISHED **

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It were your build that inspired me to give it a nudge Dave, let's hope Airfix releases it as a classic.  :)

Steve.

That's bordering on Tony O'Toole territory Steve! 

That chap has 'inspired' me to open up my wallet on more than one occasion this year which does nothing to reducing ones ever increasing stash. Shame you lost out for the Beaver, however I'm hopeful that this will be one of the first Vintage Classic aircraft that will be announced (hopefully) soon. I'm also hoping for a Skyvan re-release and since this GB has kicked off have a number of other Airfix old tools in mind. We have our local Model Expo in Brisbane this weekend and one of our local 2nd hand dealers will be making an appearance - and no doubt another killing! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Update #7

Just a quick update to show where I'm at with this slow build.

Over the last few days I've cleaned up the tailplane and vertical fin seams and attached the associated control surfaces at an angle. I'm glad I now took a little extra time to displace these items as it gives a little character to the back end of the Beaver. The top wing and front windscreen have also been glued on and the joined areas all filed and sanded. Surprisingly for a kit of this age, the engineering in this area is not that bad. I've got to fill a slight gap where the underwing meets the fuselage, however do not envisage this to be too hard a job. The windscreen is also a little wider that the angled cabin framing, but again I was expecting a worse fit. My chosen subject has a lower cowl intake which I've fabricated from a 1/48 Spitfire intake and something else I found in the spares box. I'm still not sure if it looks right, however will see how it comes up under primer. Here's some more progress pics. 

Cheers.. Dave 

30356905988_ce107e79f3_b.jpg

30356926478_03d9b28c1a_b.jpg

44176155452_6138902cb5_b.jpg

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Smart looking. Of course you know the small scoop on top of cowl and offset to one side does not appear on those with the chin intake. 

Thanks Paul. I didn’t know that it was either one intake or the other, but did know that the upper one was not required. The kit has a slight indentation for the upper intake which I have filled and sanded. There is also a small blister to add on the upper roof just aft of the wing trailing edge, illl need to make this from spares as well. If you notice anything else I might have missed, please chip in and let me know. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Is the cowling fixed?? 'Cos if so you missed the engine!!!   Have fun with fitting all those actuator links to the  wing. flap positions!  The amount of times I grovelled on my shed floor looking for the ones that pinged off the tweezers....

• Haha 1

What engine Paul?? No, all good - the cowling has just been plonked on for photographic purposes. There are quite a few actuator links aren’t there, let’s hope I don’t end up using the ‘big floor bench’ during this stage, but odds are it’s bound to happen! Your great Islander build has inspired me to try and source one for myself. I know they are rare but will keep looking. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Nice work Dave :thumbsup:

The Beaver is really taking shape now. I think it's time well spent getting all the components to line up and clean up any seams. I look forward to seeing some paint on.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update #8

I'm starting to get a little envious of everyone's excellent progress and finished results over the last week. I too was slowly hacking away at my build, however after a little momentum I had to stop as my four day block of work kicked in and it's so hard to fit anything else in when things get busy. The Beaver is very close to priming and painting, so I'll just add a couple of photos to show where it's at. Once again, engine cowl, engine, prop and skis have not been cemented in just as yet. 

Cheers and thanks to all for the additional inspiration.. Dave 

29516543697_af713c8548_b.jpg

42645974630_4d98681bc5_b.jpg

• Like 18

Looking pristine as usual, Dave. Aircraft with skis! That reminds me of our one holiday in NZ (South Island) in 1998 when the owner of the bed and breakfast casually asked SWMBO and I at the breakfast table if we fancied going on one of those aeroplane trips that took you up to land on a glacier. 'Yes', we said, 'can you recommend someone?' Our host proceeded to open the shed at the bottom of his garden and roll out a small 4-seat aeroplane which had wind-down skis as well as wheels. We took off literally down the garden path and some time later several thousand feet up in the mountains he was swooping over one of the glaciers, leaving a dry run 'test mark' on the glacier then coming in to land using the skis. We stepped out and he switched off the engine - the silence was wonderful but I was delighted to hear the engine re-start OK. Fantastic experience and all made possible by an aircraft with skis! You'll need to mount this one on a snowscape, Dave.

• Like 5

Sounds like a great holiday Mike, but to be truthful, I've not heard too many stories of tourists not enjoying the shaky isles - it's such a beautiful place. Back in my early twenties I was fortunate to sit in the back of a float equipped DHC Beaver and the sensation of taking off and landing on water is an amazing feeling as well. I'll do my best to come up with some type of snow base for this kit although if I get distracted too much the actual kit may not be finished in time! 

I've cemented some fiddly bits on and am really quite impressed by the moulding technology for its day. I did have one short shot flap actuator, although in the scheme of things it was still usable. 

Anyway - thanks for all the comments, should help me push this one into the paint booth and eventually onto the glass cabinet shelf. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s looking really cool. I’d forgotten about the ski option on this kit. I agree, you have to do an icescape.

Trevor

ah - 'The Great Icescape' - fantastic movie...

• Haha 3