Airfix 1/72 De Havilland DHC-2 Beaver ** FINISHED **

After much deliberating and haggling at a recent swap meet, I have chosen Airfix’s 1971 DHC-2 Beaver as my Classic Airfix GB kit build. As the photos show, this kit is in its original Red Stripe box and moulded in white plastic. It’s has a fair amount of raised rivets all over it, however I’ll trim these down to something less obvious. 

I have also just taken possession of an excellent decal sheet produced by an Australian based supplier called Ronin Decals. Steve Evans runs the company and does a great job to supply us Aussies with an ever expanding range of well researched subjects to fill our modelling cabinets. I’ve provided a few photographs of the large selection of Beavers that can be built from this one decal sheet alone. The quality of the decals themselves are second to none. 

There’s a few minor modifications that need to be made to the base kit in order to faithfully represent one of these Beavers so these will be shown during this accompanying WIP.  At this stage the Yellow A95-201 with ‘Boxing’ Kangaroo is my current favourite, however I also quite fancy A95-202 in overall Orange and Dayglo sections. I’ll confirm the scheme a little closer to painting time. 

Thanks for looking and hopefully I can pull off another bright and bold scheme build to add to this GB Gallery. 

Cheers. Dave

41506278195_c77912da0d_b.jpg

40600358750_e0ca43b59a_b.jpg

40600877220_3e16062ac5_b.jpg

41685733684_49ce57666f_b.jpg

42408999911_bfc993f5f9_b.jpg

• Like 19

i was only a tiny nipper in 1971 so I think it's probably a later boxing I remember but it always amazes me that even from 40 odd years ago I remember the box art....as mark says it'll bring a nice bit of colour! 

• Like 3

I must be in a parallel universe, because I'm sure in the 'normal' Britmodeller forum this wouldn't have gone several hours and no comment about a colourful beaver! For might part, I'd vote orange please.

Yes I was a ginger, back in the day- before Ed Sheehan and Prince Harry made them fashionable

• Haha 4

397/03017-7/03017
de Havilland Canada Beaver
1/72 scale.
Listed as 270 in summer 1971 price list, although listed as a Series 3 kit available soon.
Available as 397 in 1972.
Issued as 03017-7 from 1973 to 1978.
Reissued as 03017-7 in 1980.
Reissued as 03017 from 1987 to 1988.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

So did you wait for zulu time zero hour ;)

Athough the left side of the brain was itching to go, the right side overpowered it and stopped me from attacking those Beaver rivets. So I’m in the position where I’d better finish off at least one of my three current GB kits I’ve got on the go before making a start here. The good news is that one of these may actually get finished today - fingers crossed all will go well. 

Cheers..  Dave

• Like 4

I’m sure there will be plenty of ‘Beaver’ comments made during this build.

So not one to shy away from such childish stuff I’m still undecided if I should go the Yellow ‘Blonde Beaver’ or Orange ‘Ginger Beaver’?? 

I’ve decided to make a starrt on the 12th of June. I’ve got the day off and it just happens to be my birthday. That way I can always look back and say - OMG, I’ve been building this thing for how long now?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Update #1

As promised earlier, today (12 June) was the day I started this Beaver project. Not only did I have the day off work, but I was also celebrating another birthday!! In true modelling spirit what better way is there to see through the day than by finishing one model kit (Spitfire Mk.1 as part of the RAF 100 GB) and then quickly starting another. Unwrapping presents, getting hugs, kisses and blowing out candles can wait till later - Unless that's a box of plastic bits under all that wrapping!! Sadly - No. 

This might sound a bit strange but it was freezing in my house today. The temperature outside just dipped below 20 degrees C, however the weatherboard 'Queenslander' house that I live in was absolutely freezing inside. These historic houses are designed for our normal warm sub-tropical climates that we Brisbane-ites enjoy for about ten months of the year, however can be cold and blowy places during the brisk Winter season. On the bright side, the front deck is nice and sunny, so out with the lap table and a few bits and bobs and I was modelling with a few rudimentary implements. As you can see from the photo's I didn't get too far, although it's a start and a good opportunity to look at the plastic in bright sunny conditions and get my mind over what needs to be done. 

Cheers.. Dave

40936396530_2dac6b10c5_b.jpg

41846648735_85cd37f69c_b.jpg

• Like 12

Happy Birthday Dave, 20 degrees, you're lucky, we haven't cracked 15 for the last week or so. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together, I thought for a moment it had no rivets but the white(?) plastic made them hard to see. 

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a perfect and Idyllic start to your build, Dave. Maybe we will see nearly 20 degrees C today in our Summer,  if we are lucky! I hope you get thoroughly spoiled on your birthday - sorry I can't get an old Airfix kit to you just like that. It's Father's Day here this coming weekend so my turn has come to hope...

Looking forward to your build. Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank-you for all the Happy Birthday wishes.

It's funny how just 24 hours later I'm now back at work and wishing I was sitting on the modelling bench again.

... and why does the work day go so slow, yet the days off seem to be only half as long?

Cheers and thanks once again.. Dave

• Like 2

Update #2 - first hurdle! 

I’ve never built an Airfix Beaver before and have not read any previous kit reviews. I’ve just come across my first hurdle with this kit and am posting this as a warning to others who may have one of these in their stash. 

I was merrily cementing a few parts as per the kits instructions and have just noticed that the hole guides in the cabin floor for the front crew seats are actually located about 10mm too far back!! The seats are supposed to line up with the forward windows but are way off. I’ve already cemented the seat legs in place, but now have to cut these out and reposition them further forward. I’m annoyed I didn’t see this earlier however am

now in recovery mode just two days into the build. Ominous signs?  - let’s hope not. 

Cheers.. Dave 

28899403208_97ece18c64_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Thanks for the link Steve. The interesting thing with that build is that the first photo shows the  cabin floor holes in the  same position as my kit, however in later photos both the front and middle row seats are positioned much further forward. I’m sure it’s fixable, however rather frustrating at the same time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2