30 Squadron Bristol Blenheim Mk.I

no breeze today - it is boiling. First Spitfire of the day orbiting overhead. Bit too warm for paint. Suitable selection of libations to hand no doubt too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

no breeze today - it is boiling. First Spitfire of the day orbiting overhead. Bit too warm for paint. Suitable selection of libations to hand no doubt too?

I'm in Dymchurch at the moment, it's got but there is a breeze.

Saw an Invasion-striped Spitfire fly west just before I left home (Isn't there a BoB fly past at Capel today?)

I will have gin to keep.me hydrated whilst sitting in the garden.

• Like 2

After my failure to finish my B-25J in the Group Build timescale, I'm determined to finish this one.

Not the most interesting of photographs but I have applied a coat of Humbrol 33.

2018-07-02_08-14-14

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Transfers on!

I decided to follow this piece of advice:

On 5/29/2018 at 12:49 AM, tonyot said:

I`d be inclined to be dubious about the lack of a yellow outer ring on that fuselage roundel,..... try to find a photo of the real thing!  

I couldn't find a photograph of the actual aircraft, only profiles, but decided to use a A1 type roundel.

20180705_184347

I'll let them set the give it a coat of varnish.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Plodding along with this one because I'm not really enjoying it, I can't quote put my finger on why but it doesn't bode well for the 6 or 7 other Blenheims I have in the stash.

Anyway, the transfers are one, it's had a matt coat and, the canopy masking is off.

2018-07-14_08-04-35

Thamms for looking.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Beard said:

Plodding along with this one because I'm not really enjoying it, I can't quote put my finger on why

know what you mean, I've done two of them, tbh bit of an ordeal - lot of filing and fettling and masking. Yours is coming along nicely and will look good when finished I'm sure..

• Thanks 1

It's not an easy kit is it? So easy to get a bad fit on what looks to be a simple join - and in so many obvious places...

This one's looking like a proper Blenheim though and, with more in the stash, plenty to practice on! :D 

On 7/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, FalkeEins said:

know what you mean, I've done two of them, tbh bit of an ordeal - lot of filing and fettling and masking. Yours is coming along nicely and will look good when finished I'm sure..

35 minutes ago, CedB said:

It's not an easy kit is it? So easy to get a bad fit on what looks to be a simple join - and in so many obvious places...

This one's looking like a proper Blenheim though and, with more in the stash, plenty to practice on! :D 

Thank you gentlemen.

It isn't the easiest kit but I have a tendency to rush kits so most of the problems are of my own making.

• Like 1

The two I started (and failed to finish) with PC were soul sapping. To begin with it all went so well, and the kit is delightfully detailed, but masking, finishing and fouling it up just ground me down. I've reverted to failing to railway model for a few months to recuperate. Chin up, it looks like the end is in sight for yours, and it'll be worth it in the end!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I think you're being a bit tough on yourself Simon, it looks good & bringing it in looking like that after a tussle has to be more satisfying that a shake & bake, doesn't it. :unsure: :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve but it's a four foot model, at best. There are bits that are annoying, like the cowlings - file down the engines and they fit like a dream - and the collector rings, which don't seem to want to fit.

Of course, then there's also the much publicised cockpit/ fuselage/ bombay conundrum.

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The two I started (and failed to finish) with PC were soul sapping. To begin with it all went so well, and the kit is delightfully detailed, but masking, finishing and fouling it up just ground me down. I've reverted to failing to railway model for a few months to recuperate. Chin up, it looks like the end is in sight for yours, and it'll be worth it in the end!

Thanks mate, I'm not so unhappy that I won't start another.

• Like 1

Looks very nice in desert camouflage. If you need a Blenheim Mojo restorer, build a FROG one (also available in a Revell re-box). Beautiful kit, shake and bake construction and pretty accurate too (although the spare Airfix turret will come in handy as a replacement for the weird construction that they give you). Or build the MPM Blenheim, at which point the new Airfix one will seem easy-peasy! 

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have so many Blenheim transfers that I might have to go down the Frog/ Revell route (If I can get them cheap enough) but as I've seen the pain a MPM one can inflict, have no intention of going down that route.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beard said:

I might have to go down the Frog/ Revell route (If I can get them cheap enough)

I have two of the Revell kits, stashed in one box, if you’re interested. Free to a good home. :)

I’m in Kent, so hopefully you aren’t far away from me.

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I have two of the Revell kits, stashed in one box, if you’re interested. Free to a good home. :)

I’m in Kent, so hopefully you aren’t far away from me.

That's a very tempting offer, thank you. I have plenty of kits I'll never make, if you fancy a swap?

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about this one...

2018-08-16_08-05-06

The port propeller hasn't been glued on and don't look to closely at the turret glazing. In fact, don't look too closely.

Thanks for looking (but don't look too closely).

• Like 8

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Looks good from here! :D 

Thanks Ced, you're too kind.

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Looks the part mate. I've got a Mk I and 2 MK IV's to build sometime,  so paying attention to all of the comments of the difficulties.

:goodjob:

Davey. 

Thanks Davey. It's a kit that requires greater patience than I possess. Trouble is I have 4 or 5 in the stash.

• Like 3

The final result is a cracker, though - I've never built the Mk.1 but have a Frog ready to go (sometime when). I did think that the new Airfix tool would be preferable but.....Maybe you need to 'rest up' for a bit so can you be tempted to give us a contribution over on the Airfix Golden Years GB? All 'old' Airfix builds and we don't have a Mustang yet.... Cheers. Mike (ever hopeful).

• Like 1

On 17 August 2018 at 6:04 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Just caught up with this one mate, nice job, looks good to me B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.

On 17 August 2018 at 1:08 PM, Ventora3300 said:

The final result is a cracker, though - I've never built the Mk.1 but have a Frog ready to go (sometime when). I did think that the new Airfix tool would be preferable but.....Maybe you need to 'rest up' for a bit so can you be tempted to give us a contribution over on the Airfix Golden Years GB? All 'old' Airfix builds and we don't have a Mustang yet.... Cheers. Mike (ever hopeful).

Thanks Mike but I've only got three or four kits that are suitable for that GB and none of them are a Mustang, I'm also fully occupied with this GB and the Brits Abroad.

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I did, I had a really close look after it went big in Fikr, & I liked what I saw, that's nice Simon. :)

Steve

After I expressly told you not to...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1