Framing Completed builds

ModellerUK

Not sure if this is the right section. 

Has anyone ever/ever thought of framing a completed build? 

I am thinking of doing this but obviously the scale will have to be much smaller, I usually do 1/32, 1/48 minimum. 

Any advice? 

You can pick up box frames that will probably hold a 1/48 aircraft.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boldon-Framing-Shadow-Medals-Memorabilia-12x12-White/dp/B06WD2VL13

A lot of the ones you can buy aren’t deep enough but with a bit of basic woodworking malarkey you’d be able to increase the depth a bit.

Mart

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

You can pick up box frames that will probably hold a 1/48 aircraft.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boldon-Framing-Shadow-Medals-Memorabilia-12x12-White/dp/B06WD2VL13

A lot of the ones you can buy aren’t deep enough but with a bit of basic woodworking malarkey you’d be able to increase the depth a bit.

Mart

Thanks for the link! 

Yes I am going to more than likely make my own but was curious as to how aircraft specifaically jets are displayed 

Years ago, at airshows, there was somebody selling framed models. He basically did half the kit so the wing stuck out at 90 degrees to the wall. That way he got 2 models for sale out of one kit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2018 at 12:42, iainpeden said:

Years ago, at airshows, there was somebody selling framed models. He basically did half the kit so the wing stuck out at 90 degrees to the wall. That way he got 2 models for sale out of one kit.

I've been thinking about building a B-17 that way, one half showing the interior and the other one the exterior. Wings could be displayed off the fuselage halves, showing their upper and lower surfaces. V-P

• Like 1

I did a quick / cheap Airfix Lighning F6 years ago and made the frame/box from foam board.  Nice and easy to cut with modelling tools, easy to glue, easy to paint and light weight.  I cut off half the port wing of the aircraft and mounted on a nail glued throught he rear of the box.  I used a scenery image captured from a flight game as the background.  It actually came out quite well (even if I do say so myself.  I did consider using a 144th version in the rear of the box as a bit of forced perspective but went on to do someother modelling project.  

For added entertainment you could backlight the box and use it as a light in your model room (or dining room if the Boss lets you)..

• Like 2