Pete's Airfix 1\72 Golden Hind "FINISHED"

Totally agree, I honestly haven’t seen this kit before and am really looking forward to seeing it come together. Great choice.

• Like 4

Fantastic - hope you have small delicate fingers for all those parts. Did we eventually find out how long this kit was? I was guessing at approximately 20 inches You'll need the dining room table....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Fantastic - hope you have small delicate fingers for all those parts. Did we eventually find out how long this kit was? I was guessing at approximately 20 inches You'll need the dining room table....

Just checked out the measurements and it works out at just over 14 inches long

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck Pete.

This will be one build that will be worth watching - well all of them are, however this is the only classic ship so far.

Airfix must have had a mass of toolmakers in their hey day, would have been a great place to work I reckon.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

This looks really interesting and very 'different' too.  I've never seen the inside of a 'sail' ship box and I don't know what I expected - but it's not what I expected...

...I'll be sure to follow this one - I may even have a go at one myself Peter.  Will there be a launching ceremony at the end...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BIG X said:

This looks really interesting and very 'different' too.  I've never seen the inside of a 'sail' ship box and I don't know what I expected - but it's not what I expected...

...I'll be sure to follow this one - I may even have a go at one myself Peter.  Will there be a launching ceremony at the end...

If I get it right I will launch it with a cup of tea if not it will be launched out of the window witch won't go very far as it's a ground floor flat.

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Most of the images I could find were similar to the one on the box. Not sure why they went with black for the replica ship, it looks a bit grim to me. I much prefer the natural wood and colourful trim. 

I guess you can use a certain amount of artistic licence on this one. Maybe there is an old painting or illustration from the Elizabethan era preserved somewhere? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, peterairfix said:

Finally after what seems ages I have the two hull halves painted but I have noticed a mistake but I won't say I will see if you can find it.

Time for the glueing to begin.

Wooww! I wonder when Drake's crew got the time to maintain all the complicated paintwork - worth having a go close-in at the Spanish galleons just to avoid damage from swapping stand-off broadsides! (Anyway, no-one would criticise them for running out of white paint and using some blue instead). The variation between sides makes the kit individualistic and essential for 'dazzle' camouflage! Build on. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 3

That’s some very impressive masking and painting there Pete. All the hard work will pay off in the end and it will be one of those kits that you can sit back and enjoy the detail over a cold beer or three! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

After all that masking and painting construction is under way starting with the two sides and deck piece and putting on the stern section after its been painted and weathered and masking the balcony sides and one of bow bulkheads just have three internal bulkheads to do.43367774105_e62ede23f9_c.jpg43367774105_e62ede23f9_c.jpg43367774085_665c14cac9_c.jpg43367774065_d94e276147_c.jpg43367774035_1c57394fd9_c.jpg43367773965_a7e7387956_c.jpg42465948890_75fc920560_c.jpg

• Like 7