Airfix: The Golden Years - Build Thread (157 kits)

5 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Sadly, I have just got home and checked on the box, it is not a complete kit so I'm afraid it wont be happening  :-((

That's a real shame - I was hoping to pick up some tips for mine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Sadly, I have just got home and checked on the box, it is not a complete kit so I'm afraid it wont be happening  :-((

Pop a request on the wanted section here on BM. 

Lots of people are are willing to help others out, I asked if someone had parts for an Airfix armoured car my son was building years ago. A gentlemen posted them from the USA and puts some extra kits in for him as a surprise. My son has never forgotten it !

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

Thought it best to update this list once again in order to keep on top of all the latest activity - the pace is sure accelerating at quite a clap! Now firstly, I've not been paying enough attention to @BIG X's exquiste RAF Emergency set(s). I had previously only jotted this down as one set, however the master modeller that Steve is has managed to churn out two wonderfully crafted and modified sets of kits. Therefore the build list has been adjusted by one extra build. Now just when you thought that the new builds would start to dry up, along comes @Romeo Alpha Yankeewith a mind boggling 747 build thread to add to his already busy workbench. This will be something special Ray, so please help me rekindle that Qantas edition 747 kit that I botched up when I was a 12 year old. Really looking forward to this one. 

The Gallery thread has now started a third page and the quality of kits is up there with the very best. In addition to Steve's Emergency sets we have @JOCKNEY's excellent reproduction of the Grumman Gosling, one of Airfix's least well fitting kits but this example is top drawer material - well done Pat. Last, but not least is yet another fine contribution from @nimrod54with a gorgeous example of Fairey's Mk. 5 Firefly. What a beauty John and I'm not alone in hoping that Airfix manage to re-vive these moulds sometime soon so that we can all have as much pleasure as you had in building it. This GB is gearing up for a big finish, so keep 'em coming, we're all loving it. 

New Builds

Boeing 747 Jumbo - Romeo Alpha Yankee

Gallery Entries

Grumman Widgeon / Gosling - JOCKNEY

Fairey Firefly Mk. 5 - nimrod54

RAF Emergency Set - BIG X (x2)

DH.98 Mosquito (Series 3) - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 128 / Total Subjects = 108 / Gallery Entries = 52 / Completion Ratio = 40.6 %

• Like 3

Build List edited 

Best I keep up with this thing on a daily basis (you can tell I'm on days off can't you?).

Now we have six new gallery entries which has pushed the completion rate to over 45%, that's starting to get into really healthy GB territory I think. I'm also pleased to say that out of these six entries, not one of them is an aeroplane - this is good to see. First up @Heather Kay's really lovely four piece goods train set. This is really superb and has been photographed to perfection. Once again, well done Heather. Then we have @Jb65rams's really nice School Class Harrow which looks like quite a complicated build, however once again has come up trumps. A true testament to this Airfix kit and JB's modelling skills. @peterairfixhas gone above and beyond with a lovely pair of lifelike 1/1 scale Bull Finches. The finished products are coming through thick and fast, but best of all they are all being completed to a standard that was probably not even thought about at the time when these kits were first released. Just goes to show that old kits certainly have a place to todays modelling world. 

New Builds

Gallery Entries

Brake Van - Heather Kay 

Presflo Cement Wagon - Heather Kay 

Meat Van / Wagon - Heather Kay

Prestwin Silo Wagon - Heather Kay

Harrow (School Class Locomotive) - Jb65rams

Bull Finches (1/1) - peterairfix

Build Tally    Total Builds = 128 / Total Subjects = 108 / Gallery Entries = 58 / Completion Ratio = 45.3 %

• Like 3

Build List edited 

Well, I think the word is out that this GB has been extended by another 2 weeks. The new end date is now 07 October, so that's plenty of time to get some more builds in - Thanks Enzo!

A few of our keen modellers have been happy to hear this news and have quickly obliged with three new kits. In cronological order we have @zebra with his Bristol Belvedere, @Heather Kay must suerely be thinning down her stash, this time it's the odd looking 1962 Scammel Scarab and @TonyWhas pulled out a 25 Pounder Filed Gun and Quad. Well done everyone, we are now at 131 builds which is the number (and possibly record) set by the previous Matchbox II GB.

The Gallery has also passed the 60 build mark with more superb finishes from @PhantomBigStu, @peterairfixand @TonyW yet again. You've done this GB proud lads, you all deserve a good drink.

Now finally, If you're all having fun with this classic kit GB, please sign up and vote for @JOCKNEY's prospective 2019 "Nostelgic Tribute to Frog" GB. It's bound to be another fun filled three or so months, so if you've havent already - get on board.  

New Builds

Bristol 192 Belvedere - zebra

Scammell Scarab - Heather Kay

25 Pounder Field Gun & Quad - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Folland Gnat - PhantomBigStu

Biggin Hill - peterairfix

DH.98 Mosquito (Series 3) - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 131 / Total Subjects = 111 / Gallery Entries = 61 / Completion Ratio = 46.5 %

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Dave - after viewing some of your excellent work today - I felt inspired to pop a new blade in the scalpel and make a start on one more build...

For @Rabbit Leader

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/181578-airfix-a3v-mk-1-sherman-tank

(1961): A3V

181578-12155-pristine.jpg

...it's not 'exactly' this one - it's in a newer box - but it's certainly showing its age.  Right I'm off to start a thread.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 2

Yet another entry from me, I'm really on a roll with this GB!

An old US issue He111 with most of its parts off the sprues dared me to build it. I'm not having old kits throwing their weight around, so I'll be attempting to smash this one into submission. I actually started the plane a week or so ago but held off from posting anything in case the build stalled for any reason. Progress has been good so far...

IMG_5580.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

Build List edited 

Each time I look at these GB pages, I'm blown away by all the fantastic activity taking place. Now in all that feverish glueing and sanding I must have missed the announcement of two great builds. Apologies to @Beard and @AdrianMF for just catching up on your builds now. I was watching them both being build so not sure what happened there. Both these kits are now in the Gallery and look smashing - well done gents.

Three more GB regulars have obviously decided that there's still too many more days to run to lay around and sit idle. @BIG X will grace us with another armour classic, @TonyW has dug out an American Boxed Luftwaffe bomber and @peterairfix is adding to his marshalling yard with another classic Loco. Its a pleasure to watch you guys work, not only are your builds fast paced but beautifully finished. Yet again we all happily watch on.  

New Builds

Sherman Mk1. Tank - BIG X

Heinkel He111H-20 - TonyW

Prairie Tank (Loco) - peterairfix

Mig-21 - AdrianMF*

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 - Beard*

* missed builds. 

Gallery Entries

Mig-21 - AdrianMF

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 - Beard

Build Tally    Total Builds = 136 / Total Subjects = 115 / Gallery Entries = 63 / Completion Ratio = 46.3 %

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Build List edited 

Six more announcements to make which consist of two additional builds and four Gallery entries.

Once again, Airfix's 1973 issued B-26 is proving to be a popular build as @AdrianMFhas decided to add a third example of this great kit. After your fantastic B-25 Adrian, we all know that this should turn out to be a great build. @malpaso has also decided that the extra time will be put to good use, so out pops an exquisite example of the 1976 Messerschmitt Bf109E. This should be another great build to watch

As would be expected at this end of yet another fantastic GB, we are starting to see the Gallery being filled with beautiful entries. Please put your hands together for  @Mancunian airman, @825and @Lawzer for there latest contributions. Well done gents, yet again another fine collection of Airfix Classics kits that have made this GB so special to be part of.  

New Builds

Martin B-26 Marauder - AdrianMF

Messerschmitt Bf109E - malpaso

Gallery Entries

Avro Lancaster - Mancunian airman

Avro Anson - 825

RAF Emergency Set - 825

Messerschmitt Bf109F (1/48) - Lawzer

Build Tally    Total Builds = 138 / Total Subjects = 117 / Gallery Entries = 67 / Completion Ratio = 48.6%

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

If this has been extended then please add this one . . . .

I have been browsing the tinernet for references and I think I may try this example . . . 

I'll be able to steer you clear of the pitfalls on this one - see the build thread already in progress - you may need some razor blades...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hey Mike, that’s my line!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

It's your razor blades I'm talking about, Dave. If you had sent them then I would have used them. Thankfully, both me and the Bristol survived the 'struts' saga.

7 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

It's your razor blades I'm talking about, Dave. If you had sent them then I would have used them. Thankfully, both me and the Bristol survived the 'struts' saga.

Good to hear. Will look forward to the progress pics. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

I have a pile of emails in my inbox telling me my recent purchases have been despatched [1]. Several of them are relevant to this GB so my third entry should start before the weekend. Best get me finger out and finish the Dinah, eh?

Andy

[1] Google tells me this is an archaic spelling and dispatch has taken over as the current accepted spelling. I don't care, the spelling with an 'e' was the proper way when I was at school and these things mattered so I'm sticking with it.

• Haha 2

Build List edited 

.... And here's me thinking that we will start seeing more Gallery entries rather than New Builds taken place!! Not here boys and girls. Since the last update we welcome another five new entries, four of which are new subjects not being previously built within this GB.

Please all welcome @stevehed who as far as I can tell has only just recently dipped his toe into this massive classic kit build for the first time with a Hannover CL111a. Then we have more kits by more 'regulars' - @Mancunian airman has also gone down the bi-plane route, this time with another Bristol Fighter kit from 1956. The ever present @zebra has sure added to his already impressive modelling bench with Boeing's most popular 737. @Foxbat has announced his excitement with a mid seventies classic - the 'too big for a fighter' in my book F-14A and co-host @Lawzer looks like he's rounded out the full set of classic 1/48 kits by taking on the quite lovely Hurricane Mk.1. Well done gents, it's so good to see the build list now over 140 and god only knows where this could end up at the 7th of October. 

The Gallery has also been updated with a rather spectacular piece in the form of @TonyW's Lockheed F-104. Once again Tony, an excellent thread full of classic pieces of nostalgia all set off nicely with great photography. You've been knocking these out exceptionally well. Bravo!    

New Builds

Bristol F.2b Fighter - Mancunian airman

Hannover CL111a - Stevehed

Boeing 737 - Zebra

Grumman F-14A Tomcat - Foxbat

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (1/48) - Lawzer

Gallery Entries

Lockheed F-104 Starfighter - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 143 / Total Subjects = 121 / Gallery Entries = 68 / Completion Ratio = 47.6%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In for a penny, in for a pound...

The Tardis that is my loft has thrown up a pair of kits that just can't be ignored. Bags only, no boxes or instructions but a pair of Dinosaurs lurk inside them! A Triceratops and a Stegosaurus no less. I remember buying a couple of the triple dinosaur boxings Airfix released a few years ago. I sat and built some with one of my mates kids in his garden many moons ago. Happy days. These two must be left overs from then. They date from 1977 for the first releases.

IMG_5780.jpg

• Like 3

Build List edited 

Just a quick update, before I get swapped with (hopefully) more Gallery entries!

Still seeing more builds starts than completions, which is a little strange at this tail end of the GB period. So whats new you ask?

@TonyW has gone all prehistoric on us by starting three of Airfix's late 70's Dinosaur kits. It's good to see such a vast contrast of subjecst and these Dino kits are most welcome indeed. Equally as refreshing is another Armour classic, this time it's @Foxbat with the Bren Gun carrier in it's 2018 'Vintage Classic' box. I think this is really good to see as even though we all love seeing close classic 'first issue' boxes and header cards, seeing this kit purchased brand new, after first being released in 1963 is the ultimate test of kit mould longevity in my book. So well done Tony and Foxbat.

@peterairfix has graced the Gallery with yet another loco, this time it's the Prairie Tank. Built with the basic of tools and paints, Peter has still managed to build this kit to a fantastic standard of completion. Once again - well done Peter.    

New Builds

Bren Gun & 6lb Gun - Foxbat

Triceratops - TonyW (x2)

Stegosaurus - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Prairie Tank (Loco) - peterairfix

Build Tally    Total Builds = 147 / Total Subjects = 124 / Gallery Entries = 69 / Completion Ratio = 46.9%

• Like 1

Build List edited 

Once again, another quickie to to announce three four more supurb Gallery entries.

Put your hands together for @Foxbat, @rafalbert@1903flight & @bianfuxia for their latest excellent contributions to this GB. Well done guys, thanks for taking part and don't forget there's still around three weeks to go!  

Gallery Entries

Bren Gun & 6lb Gun - Foxbat

Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star - rafalbert

Fouga Magister - bianfuxia

Alpha Jet - 1903flight

Build Tally    Total Builds = 147 / Total Subjects = 124 / Gallery Entries = 73 / Completion Ratio = 49.6%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I never mentioned in my build thread, but the Carrier and gun were originally from 1964. Mea culpa, but they can be added now you have the info :) 

Andy

Not the best at admi... ooh look, a squirrel 

• Haha 1

Build List edited 

Believe it or not we have topped the 150 build mark and I am now having second thoughts as to why I started this silly Build List in the first place. Will all you happy classic Airfix modellers please slow down - I'm struggling to keep up!! 

So what's new? Good question. We actually welcome three more new GB members and another two builds from that usual suspect who goes by the name @peterairfix. Let's all welcome aboard @John, @Paul821and @SleeperService who all started new builds this week and intend to have them all finished by 7 October. Good luck chaps. 

Then theres a few more additions to the Gallery. @Heather Kay has finished off two lovely Scammell Scarabs which I incorrectly marked down as one build, however has now been adjusted to two. Is this the last we will see from this prolific builder? And of course, no sooner have I added his name to the build list, but peterairfix has also completed his DUKW and entered into the Gallery all within a few days - puts my build's start date of 12 June a little to shame don't you think! 

New Builds

Vickers Vanguard - peterairfix

CAC Boomerang - John

LCM III Landing Craft - Paul821

AEC Matador - SleeperService

DUKW - peterairfix

Gallery Entries

Scammell Scarab - Heather Kay (x2)

DUKW - peterairfix

Build Tally    Total Builds = 153 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 76 / Completion Ratio = 49.6%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Build List edited 

Seems like an age since I've had the opportunity to not only update this thread, but take a good deep look at BM in general (I hear we will be graced with another 1/32 Lanc and 1/48 Spit XIV?)... that should keep plenty of modellers happy as well as plenty of SWMBO's rather annoyed one would think! 

Anyway back to the Classic Airfix show and as I'm writing this I'm also realising that we are coming into the last week of this historic and monumental GB. Now I'm sure I'm not the only one who has added more to the stash during this period and there's no surprises that many/all of these have been classic Airfix kits as seen and built here. Whoever said that GB's are designed to dig into the stash in order to build and reduce one's collection - they must have been kidding themselves I reckon!

Anyway enough of me, let's get back to the stars of the show - you guys and girls. 

Now unless I'm mistaken I have not come across any new entries since last update, however have finally caught up with @vppelt68 who has decided that enough is enough and converted his Ju88 into an Fw189. This new kit is coming along nicely V.P, I'll hopefully add more comments when I find the time. 

The GB Gallery welcomes five more additions and once again what great additions they are. These are listed in chronological release order below and once again we really should take this opportunity to applaud @Foxbat, @PhantomBigStu, @Smudge and @TonyW for their wonderful contributions here. It's nice to know that the Completion ratio has topped the half way mark but with only one week left, there' still over 70 kits still to be completed! 

Gallery Entries

Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah II - Foxbat

88mm Gun and Kfz 7 Tractor - Smudge

Martin B-26 Marauder - PhantomBigStu

Bofors 40mm Gun and Tractor - Smudge

Stegosaurus - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 153 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 81 / Completion Ratio = 53.0%

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1