Airfix: The Golden Years - Build Thread (157 kits)

Build List edited 

The popularity of this GB is truly astounding and it's only fitting that an extra week has been added to the previous deadline in order for more Gallery entries to take place - Thanks @Enzo Matrix. Speaking of the Gallery, we welcome an additional five (six if you count Tony's two Dino's) into this threads glitzy pages.

First off its @Ventora3300 with another excellent example of one of Airfix's earliest offerings. @Chewbacca has splashed about a large amount of fire red and gold paint, @nimrod54 has provided an amazing example of 1/72 bi-plane modelling, @TonyW keeps on building his large stash with two fearsome looking beasts and @Lawzer goes back to 1979 with a lovely example of Sir Sidney Camm's finest.  

So now it's time to seriously finish off those kits and display bases. Let's get passed the 100 finish mark and then see how high we can go from there. 

Gallery Entries

Bristol F.2b Fighter - Ventora3300

1914 Dennis Fire Engine - Chewbacca

Avro 504 K - Nimrod54

Triceratops - TonyW (x2)

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (1/48) - Lawzer

Build Tally    Total Builds = 153 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 89 / Completion Ratio = 58.2%

Edit - minor adjustment, a count back shows that we are now at 89 Gallery entries with a Completion rate of 58.2 % (Thanks Mike!). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

For the benefit of just staying ahead of the game. here's the quickest of updates.

Please take a moment to applaud the great work by @Romeo Alpha Yankee and @Paul821 with their two recent Airfix classic finishes and Gallery entries. Well done lads, top work all round.

Gallery Entries

LCM III Landing Craft - Paul821

HMS Fearless - Romeo Alpha Yankee

Build Tally    Total Builds = 153 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 91 / Completion Ratio = 59.5%

• Like 3

Just a quick question, what's the end date for the build? I've been building to a 7th of October Close.

There's this comment from Dave a page back here...

Well, I think the word is out that this GB has been extended by another 2 weeks. The new end date is now 07 October, so that's plenty of time to get some more builds in - Thanks Enzo!

And this at the top of the Gallery thread.

Airfix: The Golden Years Gallery

Topic will be automatically locked October 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM

By Enzo Matrix, May 27 in Airfix: The Golden Years GB

Do I have another ten days?!!!!   I'll have to get the loft ladder out if that's the case!

Tony.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Just a quick question, what's the end date for the build? I've been building to a 7th of October Close.

There's this comment from Dave a page back here...

Well, I think the word is out that this GB has been extended by another 2 weeks. The new end date is now 07 October, so that's plenty of time to get some more builds in - Thanks Enzo!

And this at the top of the Gallery thread.

Airfix: The Golden Years Gallery

Topic will be automatically locked October 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM

By Enzo Matrix, May 27 in Airfix: The Golden Years GB

Do I have another ten days?!!!!   I'll have to get the loft ladder out if that's the case!

Tony.

Yes, Tony - the date was further extended by a week to 14th October as a special case to let all the 'nearly finished' builds get into the Gallery, (and that';s the very last extension we can expect!). Watch your step on the loft ladder!. All the best. Mike

• Like 1

There's me thinking I have three days to finish the Ferguson Tractor, turns out there's another week on top of that!

At the risk of biting off far more than I can chew, I'm going to add another build to my list. It's a bit of a cheat as I started it a week or so ago. I didn't add it to the GB as I though the chances of finishing it were a bit slim. There's a bit more slack here now though.

Here's the kit...

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

I'll be adding a Falcon canopy, just because I have one here. The rest will be pretty much out the box.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

Thats some impressive skills in self belief to suggest that a multi engined aircraft build (plus vac canopies!!) can all be completed by 14 October! Must be something in the water where your from Tony, you might need to bottle some up and send it my way. 

Good luck with this SM.79. I too built this as a lad with badly applied mottle camo pattern, however I was really impressed with the kits parts and options that the blue plastic and build sequence is still quite vivid in my memory to this day. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

My first build, when it hit the shelves in the sixties didn't end well. Construction went fine, all done in an hour or so, followed by a first coat of tan. My big mistake was to sit the plane in front of our open fire while we all had dinner. Things weren't quite the same when I came back to it! Salvador Dali would have been proud. I was less than amused.

This one though, this one is going to be a STUNNER!!!!

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build List edited 

I know this GB has seemed a little crazy at times, however even I would not have expected another three new builds to make a start well inside two weeks to go!!

Yet again we have another 'new' Vintage Classic c/o @Paul821 and two kits from 1967 that would have been a real treat to all Italian aircraft fans, this time made good by the likes of regulars @Ventora3300and @TonyW

The Gallery thread is also getting more hits with even more beautifully built kits from @BIG X and that man again TonyW. Yet again, let's put our hands together in appreciation to these fine GB members.

At this prolific rate, there's every chance that the 100th Gallery entrant will take place some time this weekend.  Who will it be?

New Builds

25 Pounder Field Gun & Quad - Paul 821

Fiat G.50 - Ventora3300

Savoia-Marchetti S.M. 79 - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Sherman Mk1. Tank - BIG X

Heinkel He111H-20 - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 156 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 93 / Completion Ratio = 59.6%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Build List edited 

Right, so my silly contribution to this GB has now clocked over 99 Gallery entries - that's an amazing number and who knows where this will all end up at the end of next weekend. There's still some great builds in progress so if there was ever a better time to chuck a 'sickie' and get some more bench time in - it's certainly NOW!!. 

This update sees even more really beautiful kit completions this week - please show your appreciation to @Hockeyboy76, @GREG DESTEC, @TimV1969, @MarkSH and of course is there an update of late that has not mentioned @TonyW?? Well done chaps - there's some truly inspiring builds amongst this lot, it's a shame we can't all get together and raise our glasses to celebrate the end of what has been a fantastic GB.   

Gallery Entries

Vertol 107-11 - Hockeyboy76

Boeing B-29 Super Fortress - GREG DESTEC

Bristol Bulldog - TonyW

DHC-2 Beaver - Rabbit Leader

S.A Puma - TimV1969

MRCA Prototype - MarkSH

Build Tally    Total Builds = 156 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 99 / Completion Ratio = 63.5%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 04/10/2018 at 23:23, Seahawk said:

Err, shouldn't those fasces be "handed"?

Actually, they are! Just turn two of the decals 180 degrees and voilá, you have two left handed and two right handed fasces. The "hooks" and thinner black lines are in right positions for that. V-P

• Like 2

Build List edited 

The awesomeness still continues and thanks to @nimrod54's most excellent Bloodhound and accessories completion we have now 'officially' topped the 100 Gallery Entry mark! Even better, @JOCKNEY has also completed a lovely example of Airfix's 1968 Hampden to see us to 101. Congrats to John and Pat for all your efforts over the last four months, it's been hard work at times, however that all makes these kits even more rewarding in the end. 

Gallery Entries

Bristol Bloodhound - nimrod54

Handley Page Hampden - JOCKNEY

Build Tally    Total Builds = 156 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 101 / Completion Ratio = 64.7%

• Like 6

Build List edited 

The end to this GB is very much in sight and that only leaves one more weekend to start wrapping up these classic kits and displaying them into the Gallery.

The stats show that we are approx. 2/3rds of the way there, so there's still plenty of kits needing those final finishing touches - so lets get cracking chaps!  

Now I know we will never see the full 156 starts actually finished, however I'm fairly optimistic that we are good for 120 - so that's the new target.

Two more fantastic builds have made it home. Co- Host (Mike) @Ventora3300 is having a very busy week and has managed to get the lovely Santa Maria built, painted, rigged and nicely photographed - a lot of work has gone into this kit, so claps all round for building our only 1954 entry. Wel done Mike.

We must also acknowledge the tiresome work put in by the amazing @TonyW. His loft must surely be thinning out as yet another supreme Airfix kit is quickly assembled, painted and displayed all in a matter of days. The SM79 is an immediate head turner and looks so good in that hand applied camo pattern. Add some lovely Gallery props to your crisp photography and there's certainly a lot to like with all your entries. You're a star Tony!!

Gallery Entries

Santa Maria - Ventora3300

Savoia-Marchetti S.M. 79 - TonyW

Build Tally    Total Builds = 156 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 103 / Completion Ratio = 66.0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Build List edited 

We are now at the business end of this GB - Yes, it's the very last weekend!!

I am pleased to advise that an additional seven magnificent Gallery entries have been added over the last few days. This now takes our completed build tally to an amazing 110!!

If you haven't taken a sneak peak - then your misisng out on some truly amazing examples of classic modelling nostelgia.  Host @Ventora3300 has been burning the midnight candle with three more completions this week - top effort Mike!! @peterairfix has resurrected an old S.O.D'er with a lovely BA Vanguard. @malpasohas applied some great camo work on his 1/72nd scale 109. @AdrianMF wraps up a top GB with yet another fine example of Airfix's B-26 (and possibly the best application of worn D-Day strips I've ever seen).  And I'll finish off with something really special, @TonyW's efforts must honestly rank as some type of BM GB record. In the short time that this GB has run, Tony has managed to complete 18 quality and entertaining builds. His last completed kit just happens to be Airfix's first, which is a fitting way to sign off his excellent contribution. That's some effort mate - very well done!.    

Gallery Entries

Ferguson Tractor - TonyW

Vickers Vanguard - peterairfix

Fiat G.50 - Ventora3300

Honda CB450 (1/16) - Ventora3300

Apollo Lunar Module - Ventora3300

Martin B-26 Marauder - AdrianMF

Messerschmitt Bf109E - malpaso

Build Tally    Total Builds = 156 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 110 / Completion Ratio = 70.5%

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What an update! - these progress Reports make fascinating reading and are as riveting as the build threads themselves. Many, many thanks to Dave aka Rabbit Leader for taking on this task (and coming up with the whole methodology in the first place). In truth, A fully paid up member of the hosting team along with Ian (Lawzer) and myself. From the stats, we have also now surpassed the completion rate of the excellent Matchbox build last year so a big collective pat on the back to us all....and there are still two days to go! I'll be a bit quiet for the next week (applogies in advance) as off to NY but I'm already looking forward to the week after to catch up with the closing comments. A mighty thank you to you all for this great pleasure and privilege. All the best. Mike (Ventora3300)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

What an update! - these progress Reports make fascinating reading and are as riveting as the build threads themselves. Many, many thanks to Dave aka Rabbit Leader for taking on this task (and coming up with the whole methodology in the first place). In truth, A fully paid up member of the hosting team along with Ian (Lawzer) and myself. From the stats, we have also now surpassed the completion rate of the excellent Matchbox build last year so a big collective pat on the back to us all....and there are still two days to go! I'll be a bit quiet for the next week (applogies in advance) as off to NY but I'm already looking forward to the week after to catch up with the closing comments. A mighty thank you to you all for this great pleasure and privilege. All the best. Mike (Ventora3300)

:clap2::clap2::clap2: Well done to all three of you.  Dave has indeed played an amazing role and as someone who gets a bit 'confused' at times I have really relied on his mega organised method of keeping us 'on the right page'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Build List edited 

I knew this weekend would prove to be a fun filled fest of Airfix finishes (try saying that after a few drinks!!) but I wouldn't have put money on seeing an almost Blitz build Airfix Classic attempted in the last 48 hours of this GB. Well done @GREG DESTEC for giving this a mighty go, we're all backing you in my friend. 

Eleven magnificent completions have lit up the gallery since my last update. I'll admit I had a few doubts about some of them being finished in time, so great effort to everyone who has finally got there this weekend.

In no particular order, I'll start with the three truly gorgeous kits built by @zebra Your two classic airliner kits are wonderfully finished and the amount of work thats gone into that Belvedere kit is astonishing. I'm sure there are many modellers who have thought about this conversion, however have not quite gotten there as yet (if ever). You've been a fine contributor and deserve every 'like' that comes your way. Lovely stuff. 

Let's all raise a glass to @Grandboof for finishing his lovely Fokker F-27 is probably the best scheme to be ever painted on this classic turboprop. Well done. 

Another Quad and Gun has been quickly built and displayed. Nicely done @Paul821, we all look forward to seeing the final diorama once completed. 

@FortyEighter, another lovely Skykings build, this time a very eye catching BEA 707. Has there ever been a better airliner scheme applied to a seven o? I think not. 

We all love a good Hs129 and @Dermo245 has taken this basic Airfix kit and created an excellent replica. The gun pod 'prop' is a nice touch. 

Who hasn't built the Academy Me163? @Smudge decided to take on the older Series 1 classic and boy did this little flea turn out a real treat. Top job mate - she's a beaut!. 

Our forth Westland Whirlwind fighter has been built and displayed with both pilot and display stand. This is how Airfix intended these kits to look like so it's great to see this presented here in a manner we all remember. Very nice touch @Misterfriend, we all love it. 

Enough of the small scale stuff, lets get to the bigger boys. @CanadaMoe has taken the old Spit Vb, slapped on some new decals and created a real winner. Malta Spits always score big on BM, after seeing this one you can all see why. 

Now, I'll try not to show any favouritism here, but the final finish and display that @MarkSH has ended up with on his Post War Mossie has to be one of the builds of this GB. I'm glad I'm not picking any winners in a final vote as there's way too many stunning builds to choose from. Truly awesome modelling Mark. 

So its very well done to all the above and to all who have already taken part. We have now hit 121 completed builds and a GB completion ratio of 77%, that's staggering. There is still a little time left so no doubt there will be one last update to round this all off. I promise to get back to everyones individual builds when I get the chance.    

New Builds

T34/85 Medium Tank - GREG DESTEC

Gallery Entries

Bristol 192 Belvedere - zebra

Fokker F-27 Friendship - Grandboof

SUD Caravelle - zebra

25 Pounder Field Gun & Quad - Paul821

Boeing 707 - FortyEighter

Henschel HS129 - Dermo245

Boeing 737 - Zebra

Messerschmitt Me163 Komet - Smudge

Westland Whirlwind - Misterfriend

Supermarine Spitfire Vb (1/48) - CanadaMoe

DH Mosquito (1/48) - MarkSH

Build Tally    Total Builds = 157 / Total Subjects = 129 / Gallery Entries = 121 / Completion Ratio = 77.0%

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

** Final Build List Edit **

As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end and sadly at the stroke of midnight, Sunday 14 October, one of BM's most successful GB's finally concluded. 

The final count amounted to 157 classic Airfix kit starts with 125 Gallery entries. That's a completion rate of just under 80%. I reckon that's a cracking effort, well done everyone. 

Rounding out the final four builds, special mention must go to @Bonhoff for sneaking in his two last builds, nicely done buddy. Then we have a one man Blitz Build within a GB c/o @GREG DESTEC. This T-34 was truly unexpected but provided a great twist to the tail end of this GB, we were all very entertained by that! ..... I'll reserve my last plaudit to BM's hard working GB Moderator. Lets all take a bow to @Enzo Matrix first for his lovely OD B-26 which really has turned out a treat and most importantly for taking the time and energy in putting all these great Group Builds together. None of this would have happened without Enzo's hard work. So from all of us Classic Airfix Hackers - a huge thanks. 

Co-Hosts Ian @Lawzer and Mike @Ventora3300 have been absolute stars with reading through each and every thread, commented where they can and more than often leaving a 'like' or two here and there. Four months is a long time for GB hosts to maintain their enthusiasm, however I can't ever say I saw them fault once. Both hosts contributed many builds to this GB and (I only found this out the other day) not only did Ian host his first GB, but this was the first GB he has ever participated in!! That's really impressive don't you think? 

Now this whole build thread idea came to me one night during the previous Matchbox II GB. At the time I was finding it hard to follow everyones builds and thought a seperate post with links to each members models might prove an easier solution. Not long after that GB finished Mike sent me a PM to ask if I'd like to join him (and Ian) in doing something similar for this GB. I had already made plans to be a model contributor so accepted the challenge to do this all again. I soon got the feeling that this might end up as a somewhat larger undertaking, however had no idea what we would all achieve in the end. The running commentary started off as a bit of fun, but then I didn't know how to stop. It was my small way of saying that although I may not have caught up with your build, I'm onto it and appreciate your efforts. As you can see, it's not hard to get carried away! 

I now write these final words with mixed emotions as although its a shame this GB is all over, I'm also glad we have come to a well deserved end. When you look back at all the hard work that everyone has put in it's so obvious that there's still is a market for all these old, ill fitting, no detail, raised panel line and inaccurate kits. It must be a mixture of nostalgia and artistic satisfaction that brings us back to these historic and vintage pieces of worn out plastic. 

Phew! - that's about all I've got. I'm sure we'll all catch up again somewhere on this great forum. Till then, happy modelling and once again, well done everyone. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Gallery Entries

T34/85 Medium Tank - GREG DESTEC

RAF Refuelling Set - Bonhoff

Martin B-26 Marauder - Enzo Matrix

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1a - Bonhoff

Final Build Tally    Total Builds = 157 / Total Subjects = 130 / Gallery Entries = 125 / Completion Ratio = 79.6%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thanks @Rabbit Leader - I've run out of likes today - That's now 4 GB's on the trot that I've been the last one to post in the gallery, my family and friends are not in the least bit surprised - I was only joking a little bit when I commented that, discovering that the GB had an extension, it would result in 2 weeks of procrastination followed by a mad panic.

Thanks to the mod's for running this GB and congrats to all who took part, especially those who managed to post their completed builds sooner than 3 minutes to the deadline🤦‍♂️

Right I'm off to try and not be last on the WW1 GB

IanJ

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...