Airfix: The Golden Years - Build Thread (157 kits)

27 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Been routing through the loft and found what looks to be a 1958 Lancaster that continued into the 1960's . . .  AR-G with holes for windows

I wonder if I OOB I could get it finished ??
I'll check the code on the box to be sure it dated as a classic.

Ian

That sounds pretty amazing Ian - it would be great to see this in all its 1958 glory.

27 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Been routing through the loft and found what looks to be a 1958 Lancaster that continued into the 1960's . . .  AR-G with holes for windows

I wonder if I OOB I could get it finished ??
I'll check the code on the box to be sure it dated as a classic.

Ian

Ian, sounds like an excellent idea. I believe that AR-G is the first tooling Lancaster although the second tooling still qualifies as it as right on 1980, if I remember right. It has all the working turrets and control surfaces but if it is an early kit then there may be a distinct lack of flash to be trimmed/sanded, so not slowing down the build. Worth going for it! Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1

Well further exploration has brought two kits to light . . . .

44201044951_4732857eea_z.jpg

44201049301_de7c11fa64_z.jpg

the second one is still sealed in a bag but to be honesty they look horrendous particularly around the mid-upper which is too bulbous ??

I'm having second thoughts

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I thought this GB was to celebrate the golden years of Airfix. I take that to mean "Airfix, warts and all". 

If I found that first box in my loft, I’d be on it like a shot! I vote you should build up that one, even if it’s dimensionally flawed somewhere because that's what classic Airfix was all about. Leave all the hyper-correct impossible-to-tell-from-real-life kits for another day. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2018 at 18:47, Heather Kay said:

I thought this GB was to celebrate the golden years of Airfix. I take that to mean "Airfix, warts and all". 

If I found that first box in my loft, I’d be on it like a shot! I vote you should build up that one, even if it’s dimensionally flawed somewhere because that's what classic Airfix was all about. Leave all the hyper-correct impossible-to-tell-from-real-life kits for another day. :thumbsup:

Hear, hear! And it's a fairly unusual Craft Master boxing so it will be interesting/educational to see all the contents. Lancasters are supposed to be big, black and bulbous!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

Thanks to the announcement by @Mancunian airman that he intends on building Airfix's very first 1958 Avro Lancaster kit (in unique US issue box), we now have 100 - yes that's 'One Hundred' individual Airfix plastic kit subjects now taking part in this GB. That's a fantastic cross section of kits on display, well done everyone. @TonyW has also chipped in with yet another build, this time the very good looking Series 3 DH Mosquito from the early 70's. Although now superseded by newer kits, this tooling was the 1/72 Mosquito yardstick for many many years and as a testament to it's good qualities can still be found today wrapped in a shiny new Airfix box.  

New Builds

Avro Lancaster - Mancunian airman

DH.98 Mosquito (Series 3) - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Build Tally    Total Builds = 116 / Total Subjects = 100 / Gallery Entries = 37 / Completion Ratio = 31.9%

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Well further exploration has brought two kits to light . . . .the second one is still sealed in a bag but to be honesty they look horrendous particularly around the mid-upper which is too bulbous ??

Second thoughts!!!!  Get stuck in there. The kit is a classic. 1958 cutting edge technology.

Here's the first issue in it's wonderful T1 box. The build in the second picture is an original first moulding. How do you tell? Simple, the very first ones were in a very dark grey plastic, likewise the first Wellingtons.

Not a lot of people know that...

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

The US edition is identical to the UK other than the silver plastic used.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

A fairly big update this week. At 120 builds so far and with a few weeks to go, we may get close or even surpass the Matchbox II GB from earlier this year. For the record I have found the final build tally from that GB. Hard to believe that we had close to 100 Gallery entries on that one!

Matchbox II GB final Build Tally    Total Builds = 131 / Total Subjects = 92 / Gallery Entries = 96 / * = 12 Confirmed Stalled builds 

Now we have four new additions this week, one of which I believe I missed as part of a Dogfight Doubles set, so apologies @Ozzy for only notating your Bf110, I've now added the Spitfire IX as well. Also amongst the new builds is a very welcome set of 1/1 scale Bull Finch birds from  @peterairfix. Well done Peter, its great to see this addition thrown into the mix for a bit of Airfix variety. Looks like @TonyW has returned from that virtual Museum he calls a Loft and dusted off two more classics, the original (2nd issue) Whirlwind and Lockheed's 'Missile with a man in it' F-104 Starfighter. We will look forward to all these new builds taking shape. 

The Gallery is starting to get a little overcrowded, however there's still plenty of room available to get those completed builds in. Thanks to Ozzy, Tony, @AdrianMF and @825 we have some great additions here and if that's not the best example of Airfix's 1965 'Rivet Monster' B-25, then I don't know what is? 

New Builds

Lockheed F-104 Starfighter - TonyW

Bull Finches (1/1) - peterairfix

Westland Whirlwind - TonyW

Supermarine Spitfire IX* - Ozzy

Gallery Entries

Supermarine Spitfire IX - Ozzy

Messerscmitt Bf110D - Ozzy

Grumman Wildcat - TonyW (x2)

North American B-25 Mitchell - AdrianMF

Sopwith Pup - 825

Build Tally    Total Builds = 120 / Total Subjects = 103 / Gallery Entries = 43 / Completion Ratio = 35.8%

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

For the record I have found the final build tally from that GB. Hard to believe that we had close to 100 Gallery entries on that one!

Matchbox II GB final Build Tally    Total Builds = 131 / Total Subjects = 92 / Gallery Entries = 96 / * = 12 Confirmed Stalled builds 

(Airfix) Build Tally    Total Builds = 120 / Total Subjects = 103 / Gallery Entries = 43 / Completion Ratio = 35.8%

Many thanks for the update Dave and another interesting comparison is that the Matchbox GB had 4092 'posts' by the time it finished but this Airfix GB currently has a whopping 5266 'posts' and is still going!

With less that four weeks left, thankfully the completion ratio is starting to improve and your regular updates are helping keeping us all building along.

Another interesting comparison is that the Matchbox GB ran for 135 days while this one has less at 114 days - there is most definitely a case for an extension here so I plan to get agitating for that in the near future so that the fun can go on (and we can match Matchbox, of course!). Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Many thanks for the update Dave and another interesting comparison is that the Matchbox GB had 4092 'posts' by the time it finished but this Airfix GB currently has a whopping 5266 'posts' and is still going!

With less that four weeks left, thankfully the completion ratio is starting to improve and your regular updates are helping keeping us all building along.

Another interesting comparison is that the Matchbox GB ran for 135 days while this one has less at 114 days - there is most definitely a case for an extension here so I plan to get agitating for that in the near future so that the fun can go on (and we can match Matchbox, of course!). Cheers, Mike.

Having never taken part in a GB before I have to say it is proving to be a lot of fun.  I was chatting with @Lawzer the other night and said I don't think I'll have time for any more - though I do have a control tower and a Sherman Crab in the stash.  I would like to lavish a good month on the control tower though and I would need to do a lot of research on the crab - if I were to do justice to either of them.  If there was an extension to 134 days - effectively another 3 weeks - then I would definitely get up in the loft and find them.

• Like 2

I believe there was a hope / ambition of the GB to try to build one of each of the kits available over this time period. 

Without wishing to land more work on anyone......but would it be possible to have a list of the ones we don't have yet so that people can have a rummage in the stash for one of this elusive kits that is currently AWOL for the GB ?

regards Pat

• Like 1

Nice additional stats there @Ventora3300 (Mike), tell me your not a ball by ball Test Cricket scorer as well? 

@JOCKNEY, a list like that would probably take me longer to complete than my current kit build. I have however been able to use the Scalemates website and with proper filtering this type of information is only a few clicks away. It's impossible to do on a phone, however an iPad or desktop should bring up the categories and you just need to click the appropriate boxes. Otherwise, tell us what you've got and will do the ticking and flicking for you. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice additional stats there @Ventora3300 (Mike), tell me your not a ball by ball Test Cricket scorer as well? 

@JOCKNEY, a list like that would probably take me longer to complete than my current kit build. I have however been able to use the Scalemates website and with proper filtering this type of information is only a few clicks away. It's impossible to do on a phone, however an iPad or desktop should bring up the categories and you just need to click the appropriate boxes. Otherwise, tell us what you've got and will do the ticking and flicking for you. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Apologies Dave

I thought given the number and range of kits being built it would just be a few kits to complete the set, naivety on my part I'm afraid !

Your point about focusing on building is well made...back to the Hampden & Gosling :sorry:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Apologies Dave

I thought given the number and range of kits being built it would just be a few kits to complete the set, naivety on my part I'm afraid !

Your point about focusing on building is well made...back to the Hampden & Gosling :sorry:

Cheers Pat

Don't be daft Pat, no need to apologise. I'll try to do this myself a little later on and possibly post it as a link, however I'm sure I've tried this before and the filters all seem to disappear. If that happens I'll try to list the filters to use in the order that works best. Now back to the Hampden and Gosling my friend. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

OK Pat @JOCKNEY, perhaps try this. 

Go to the Scalemates website. Here is a link which I've filtered however am not sure if the filters will remain after I post this. If they don't select these boxes within the following categories in order to show all 'new tool' Airfix kits from 1949-79. The words in red italics are the boxes to choose within the category section. 

Product Type - Kits

Company - Airfix

Origin - New Tool

Released - 1940-49, 1950-59, 1960-69, 1970-79. 

Technically this GB also includes kits released in 1980, however you'll need to filter that one separately somehow. If you do not click 'new tool' you'll be able to see all boxings of that basic kit however the list will be much, much  longer. Hope this helps. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Edit - actually the above link works !! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

OK Pat @JOCKNEY, perhaps try this. 

Go to the Scalemates website. Here is a link which I've filtered however am not sure if the filters will remain after I post this. If they don't select these boxes within the following categories in order to show all 'new tool' Airfix kits from 1949-79. The words in red italics are the boxes to choose within the category section. 

Product Type - Kits

Company - Airfix

Origin - New Tool

Released - 1940-49, 1950-59, 1960-69, 1970-79. 

Technically this GB also includes kits released in 1980, however you'll need to filter that one separately somehow. If you do not click 'new tool' you'll be able to see all boxings of that basic kit however the list will be much, much  longer. Hope this helps. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Edit - actually the above link works !! 

Hi Dave

Following your link and excluding toy soldiers, results in, now brace yourselves 472 kits up to and including 1979 but not including 1980 !

Yes you did read that correctly, link below if you are curious 

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=*&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkCOMPNAME[]="Airfix"&fkORIGIN[]="1"&fkYEARRANGE[]="1940-1949"&fkYEARRANGE[]="1950-1959"&fkYEARRANGE[]="1960-1969"&fkYEARRANGE[]="1970-1979"&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"

So no I won't be listing the ones we haven't included in the GB yet !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I found one of these tonight. Still sealed in the bag

Wow, that's worth checking out (and building, of course). This must be earlier than 'Stevenson's Rocket' All the drive and connecting rods look complicated - a challenge, as we say!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ve found three more railway and line side kits… :whistle:

Well, with only three weeks to go Heather... what are you waiting for? Hang on a sec, this is your day job so that should leave you plenty of time (unlike the majority of us time poor chaps!). 

Cheers and an update will happen shortly... Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build List edited 

Wow!! you turn your back for just under a week and look what happens! This next update is a biggie - with six new build announcements and another five superb entries into the Gallery. 

We have yet more contributions from both hosts and the record breaker that is @Heather Kay. It's obvious that @Lawzerenjoyed his first Quarter scale Bf109F as he's decided to tackle another. Mike @Ventora3300has been looking long and hard at this build list to try and fill some much needed gaps. The Lunar Module and our first Airfix Motorcycle are two excellent and highly desirable choices. Well done Mike. Just to show that it's never too late to dip ones hand into the GB mix, @Misterfriendfrom across the Atlantic (or Pacific in my case) has chipped in with yet another Westland Whirlwind fighter - once again showing how popular this 2nd edition kit is and I would think some justification for Airfix to possibly consider giving us a new tool kit one of these days. 

The Gallery is just bristling with excellent kits and we welcome another five glorious entries. First is (Host) Ian's fantastically modified 1959 Hawker Typhoon. (Fellow Host) Mike has also been good to finish off a lovely BOAC Comet 4B complete with PE and stairs. Next some classic kits from that golden Airfix year of 1974. @zebrahas finished off an amazing Shorts Skyvan to the highest of modelling standards and @malpasohas completed a wonderful rendition of Airfix's still quite likeable Spitfire Vb. Rounding off this set is one of the best pieces of model painting I've come across - well done @peterairfixon your excellent 1/72 Golden Hind, it really has turned out to be a masterpiece of work. 

Not long to go now until this GB all winds up. With just under 40% of the proposed kits completed, there's still plenty more to be done in the few days that are left. Plan your modelling time well and we'll all get there? Cheers and good luck. 

New Builds

Presflo Cement Wagon - Heather Kay 

Prestwin Silo Wagon - Heather Kay

Honda CB450 (1/16) - Ventora3300

Apollo Lunar Module - Ventora3300

Westland Whirlwind - Misterfriend

Messerschmitt Bf109F (1/48) - Lawzer

Gallery Entries

Hawker Typhoon - Lawzer

DH 106 De Havilland Comet - Ventora3300

Shorts Skyvan - zebra

Supermarine Spitfire Vb - malpaso

Golden Hind (1/72) - peterairfix

Build Tally    Total Builds = 126 / Total Subjects = 107 / Gallery Entries = 48 / Completion Ratio = 38.1%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have the Control tower at home . . . don't know what year it comes from, it cud be built within the next 2 weeks I'm sure . . .

Has anybody got it built for the GB ?

No one has entered a control tower yet Ian - so it would be a great addition.  It is originally from 1958...

163363-12155-pristine.jpg

I know you have told me in the past that it isn't very accurate - but that makes it perfect for the GB and with your expertise on airfield buildings I'm sure you could do it proud and even encourage some of us to find the one we have lurking in our own stash - GO FOR IT I SAY :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1