Airfix: The Golden Years - Build Thread (157 kits)

While I'm here, can these two be classed as one build? I fancy doing both decal options for these 1964 issue Wildcats. If both are lumped together, the bit of building on one of them drops well below the 25% rule. I should have been a Lawyer...

IMG_5121.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

You can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for my dinner!

Tony.

Sincere apologies Tony, this post has now been corrected. 

You have now earned the right to call me 'Trevor' or any other name you fancy for the rest of this GB's running period!! 

Cheers.. Dave 'Trevor' !! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks again for the update, Dave. Yes, I would like to see all the years up to 1980 covered by a kit and I'm on the point of 'volunteering' to do a Bristol Fighter F.2B to fill in 1956 - just need to be confident that the Comet is going to be finished in time. Keep up the good work! Cheers. Mike

HERO - What a guy - taking one for the team ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

While I'm here, can these two be classed as one build? I fancy doing both decal options for these 1964 issue Wildcats. If both are lumped together, the bit of building on one of them drops well below the 25% rule. I should have been a Lawyer...

IMG_5121.jpg

C'mon Trevor - C'mon Trevor - C'mon Trevor... :oops:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks again for the update, Dave. Yes, I would like to see all the years up to 1980 covered by a kit and I'm on the point of 'volunteering' to do a Bristol Fighter F.2B to fill in 1956 - just need to be confident that the Comet is going to be finished in time. Keep up the good work! Cheers. Mike

I’d send you a box of razor blades Mike, however suspect they’ll get confiscated by some ‘over the top’ official on route. Oh! - the razor blades are meant for your wrists, not the F.2B!! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, TonyW said:

IMG_5121.jpg

That sounds like a good argument to me, Tony. That's OK. The more Wildcats, the better!

• Like 3

Build List edited 

And yet there's still more! 

Once again we have new entries from some of this GB's more prolific modellers - which reminds me to pull my own digit out and progress my build!!! 

Also two more superb entries in the Gallery to what is shaping up to be another bumper collection of classic kits - who needs 'new tools' I say? 

New Builds

Grumman Wildcat - TonyW (x2)

Westland Whirlwind - Heather Kay

Gallery Entries

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1a - Heather

Grumman TBF.3 Avenger - theplasticsurgeon

Build Tally    Total Builds = 104 / Total Subjects = 89 / Gallery Entries = 28

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Build List edited 

And yet there's still more! 

Once again we have new entries from some of this GB's more prolific modellers - which reminds me to pull my own digit out and progress my build!!! 

Also two more superb entries in the Gallery to what is shaping up to be another bumper collection of classic kits - who needs 'new tools' I say? 

New Builds

Grumman Wildcat - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1a - Heather

Grumman TBF.3 Avenger - theplasticsurgeon

Build Tally    Total Builds = 103 / Total Subjects = 89 / Gallery Entries = 28

Dave, thanks again for keeping the all-important stats up to date.  See an earlier post - TonyW got the green light to do a double build of Wildcats so he could be shown as '(2)' and add to the numbers appropriately. Cheers. Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

We are now seeing many 2nd and 3rd builds starting to appear lately, so I gather many of you are having a hoot of a time bashing together these old but still servicable kits!

Thanks to Mike (Ventora3300), two more years have now been added to the build list. We now have Airfix kits from 1954-80 inclusive and just need a 1953* entry to complete this list as far back as 1952.

Don't forget to look at Foxbat's excellent Type 97 Chi Ha Medium Tank, wonderfully displayed in the GB Gallery.

* Although according to Scalemates, I cannot see any Airfix 1953 release?

New Builds

Santa Maria - Ventora3300

Bristol F.2b Fighter - Ventorra3300

Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah II - Foxbat

Gallery Entries

Type 97 Chi Ha Medium Tank - Foxbat

Build Tally    Total Builds = 107 / Total Subjects = 92 / Gallery Entries = 29

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Dave, there's a slight alteration required with the 1962 listing for my SS France build. The kit was released in 1963.

Tony.

Thanks for the correction note Tony, the build list has just been updated.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Build List edited 

Time for an update.

Thanks to TonyW (and our friendly hosts for allowing this to happen) we have Airfix's very first model kit being restored to its former glory. The amount of kits being worked on at present is a great tribute to the history of Airfix. If their back catalogue is proving this popular, then perhaps there's good signs ahead for Hornby Co when the Vintage Classics range kicks into full swing. I for one will be on the look out for many kits thanks to some great builds happening here. Keep 'em coming boys and girls! 

Greg Destec has also graced the Gallery with his 'blue' BT-K reissue - another acknowledgement to the important history of what must surely be our favourite modelling brand. 

New Builds

Ferguson Tractor - TonyW

Gallery Entries

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1a (BT-K Reissue) - GREG DESTEC

Build Tally    Total Builds = 108 / Total Subjects = 93 / Gallery Entries = 30

• Like 4

Build List edited 

A couple of entries here from some of our more prolific GB particiants. TonyW just cannot stop unearthing these historic collectables can he? The 1959 tooled A6M2 Zero now makes an appearance as our 109th Airfix kit build. We also have another two finely finished products that have joined the thirty previous gallery entrants. Ray S' superb fully rigged and PE detailed example of the Queen Elizabeth and what Heather 'claims'(?) to be her last GB entry - another cracking Westland Whirlwind to accompany Adrians fine example. C'mom Heather - there's still over five weeks to go before this GB is out. Let's see a show of hands for who would like to see @Heather Kay add a 5th model to compliment the four beauties already displayed here!!  

New Builds

Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - TonyW

Gallery Entries

RMS Queen Elizabeth - Ray S

Build Tally    Total Builds = 109 / Total Subjects = 94 / Gallery Entries = 32 / Completion Ratio = 29.4%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes - another one from Heather please!  am sure a Dornier was mentioned in the last post! (Plenty of Dorniers in the BofB!)

Dave, you are right to put up the completion percentage as there are many exciting kits in progress but a great number of them just short of the finish. I am hoping we do as well for Airfix as was done for Matchbox last year!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yes - another one from Heather please!  am sure a Dornier was mentioned in the last post! (Plenty of Dorniers in the BofB!)

It had crossed my mind, but what I had planned for the Dornier meant it will be barely half an Airfix kit by the time I’m finished.

I still have one or two things up my sleeve, including some interesting items I discovered the other day. I’m sure I’ll pop up again before the GB is done!

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

Poor Stu thought he bought a new tool Gnat, only to open the box and find Airfix's 1964 moulded kit!! 

Let's give him extra points however, for just gettiing on with it and entering it into this (still expanding) GB. Smart think'n @PhantomBigStu

Then we have three more (... and I'm almost out of words) really cracking builds, freshly entered into the GB gallery.  

1. The ever present TonyW has decided to honour his classic 'Commando' comics collection by dedicating his 1959 Zero to depict the cover of "Killer with Wings" - Fantastic job @TonyW

2. Yet another naval vessel has been finished, please show your apprceciation to @peterairfix for his HMS Daring and very realistic ocean base.

3. Last, but certainly not least, @nimrod54 has applied some exacting modern day scribing & detailing techniques to finish off possibly the best Angel Intercepter ever to grace this forum. Well done John - we all love iit!!

This GB is really shaping up as something very special and I'm sure that the many worldwide watches out there are enjoying what great work you are all doing.

Let's see a big push to finish off all the others started builds as there's just over four weeks to go before we'll all have to stop.   

New Builds

Folland Gnat - PhantomBigStu

Gallery Entries

Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - TonyW

HMS Daring - peterairfix

Angel Interceptor - nimrod54

Build Tally    Total Builds = 110 / Total Subjects = 95 / Gallery Entries = 35 / Completion Ratio = 31.8%

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This GB is really shaping up as something very special and I'm sure that the many worldwide watches out there are enjoying what great work you are all doing.

Let's see a big push to finish off all the others started builds as there's just over four weeks to go before we'll all have to stop

Blimey Dave - I nearly had a heart attack - it's actually FIVE weeks as of today - phew...  I must get those RAF emergency sets started though.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Blimey Dave - I nearly had a heart attack - it's actually FIVE weeks as of today - phew...  I must get those RAF emergency sets started though.

An extra week you say X?

Some of you speed modellers might be able to knock out a few more in that time period!!

I' normally try to build at least two kits per GB (says the chap who has only participated in three) but I think the Beaver will just scrape it to the finish line.

The Pacific GB starts on 8 Sep, so I'ts only fitting that I honour some of our local subjects with a couple of RAAF WW2 builds.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

An extra week you say X?

Some of you speed modellers might be able to knock out a few more in that time period!!

I' normally try to build at least two kits per GB (says the chap who has only participated in three) but I think the Beaver will just scrape it to the finish line.

The Pacific GB starts on 8 Sep, so I'ts only fitting that I honour some of our local subjects with a couple of RAAF WW2 builds.

Cheers.. Dave  

There is always more to be said for quality over quantity - The Beaver is looking amazing - I think the RAAF WW2 builds should be a treat too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build List edited 

The popularity of this great GB still continues with the announcement of another four new kit builds.

Once again @Heather Kay has delved into her stash to unearth three Airfix kits from her rail collection. This should prove to be a real treat and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing how an expert loco modeller takes to these kits. It also looks as if @TimV1969 is enjoying himself and hot on the heals of placing a superb Scorpion vehicle into the gallery has decided to build another classic - the Anglo French Puma helicopter. Claps all round for Heather and Tim. 

Now should the next new build be a subject not as yet covered (see OP), this will be the 100th unique subject build taking place within this GB (I hope my maths is right?). So who's gonna step up to the plate and what's the Classic Airfix subject gonna be???  

New Builds

Tank Wagon - Heather Kay 

Brake Van - Heather Kay

Meat Van / Wagon - Heather Kay

S.A Puma - TimV1969

Gallery Entries

Scorpion Light Armoured Recce Vehicle - TimV1969

Build Tally    Total Builds = 114 / Total Subjects = 99 / Gallery Entries = 36 / Completion Ratio = 31.5%

• Like 1

Build List edited 

I normally wait until there's a few items either started or entered into the gallery before doing an update, however this latest finished masterpiece is that good it probably deserves to be bracketed all by itself. Those of you who have not seen Steve's superb Classic Airfix Pontoon Bridge are really missing out on one of this hobby's best museum displays ever to grace this fine forum. Hat's off to you Big X - thanks for taking a big part in this wonderful GB. 

New Builds

Gallery Entries

Pontoon Bridge - BIG X

Build Tally    Total Builds = 114 / Total Subjects = 99 / Gallery Entries = 37 / Completion Ratio = 32.4%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peterairfix said:

Just found some airfix bull finches at a reasonable price and on buy it now so I have taken the plunge and brought them £16 including delivery.

And this is what I will be getting should be here by Saturday at the latest.

Very well played, Peter. That now means we have 'fauna' represented in the GB. We are fast covering all the range of subjects as well as the years up to 1980. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Let's see a big push to finish off all the others started builds as there's just over four weeks to go before we'll all have to stop.

Been routing through the loft and found what looks to be a 1958 Lancaster that continued into the 1960's . . .  AR-G with holes for windows

I wonder if I OOB I could get it finished ??
I'll check the code on the box to be sure it dated as a classic.

Ian

• Like 2