Eduard 1/72 Hellcat Mk II

After the disaster with the Revell Corsair, I've decided to build a kit, I've built before, in fact a couple of times and a kit I know builds up well. I've already built Eduard's 1/72 Hellcat Mk II Nightfighter and the Hellcat Mk I from the Royal Navy dual kit. I've decided to complete that set by building the Hellcat Mk II. I'll be building the option from HMS Indomitable, used during the battle for Okinawa, the option show in the pic below on the first page of the instructions. In a discussion a good while ago, on Britmodeller, someone said that some of them were used on bombing missions but only carrying a single 500lb bomb on the starboard wingrack. I should have a spare British style 500lb bomb somewhere, whether it be in plastic or resin, so I won't use the kit bombs which are US bombs. You'll see part used etch and mask, on account of me already building the Mk I.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p9enrb1api1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9ens7ozuk1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9ent2QRFi1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 2

I've been working on this kit, this evening. I undercoated it this morning and this evening, I've painted and assembled the cockpit (etch n all), stock the cowling together and the wings. I'll have to get some pics done before closing up the fuselage. From memory the only slight issue is fitting the wings to the fuselage, as it's a bit of a tight fit, so I'll be sanding back the wing joins and that should sort it out. Other than that, I'm looking forward to a straightforward build with a nice easy paint job, something I'm sure many of us like every so many builds!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Here's the pics I took this morning. Believe or not these were taken on my bedroom windowsill, which is South Facing. I seem to either get far too much light or not enough! I'll try to get the fuselage closed up this evening.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p9icbfqy3q1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9icbsOngX1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9icc5ZL7i1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 3

This is where we are now. Fuselage and wings all together, absolutely minimal filling needed, this is vastly superior kit to the Revell Corsair, everything pretty much fits, the wings just need a bit of sanding where they fit to the fuselage and the tail wing/elevator are slightly fiddly to get right but do fit. When I do my overall Blue USN Hellcats, I think I might glue all the wings on prior to priming, this might make the fit a bit easier. The cowling as can be seen, is not glued on, as I'm still working on the engine, I'm hoping to get the engine finished this evening and the cowling glued in place. After that, it's sorting out the canopy. I'll paint the bit where the windscreen sits and start masking the glazing. I'm planning do the canopy open but i'll lightly glue the sliding part in the closed position so the cockpit will be masked off. I'll say it again, this is an example of a great kit and everyone should have one!

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p9k2qeY1Qx1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9k2qz0czY1u2mcb6_500.jpg

Here's the current state of play before any modelling commences this evening. The centre part of the canopy is the one you would use if you wanted it closed. The other one is masked and on the end of a cocktail stick. Tonight I'll be mostly painting it Blue!

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p9lup14AhK1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9luqmunDH1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

It's mostly Blue now, will hopefully finish that off later. It really does go together fairly well and quickly, even using the etch. If I wasn't trading at the Northern Model show this weekend, I might have had a chance to almost complete it!

thanks

Mike

On 5/30/2018 at 2:24 PM, Mikemx said:

this is vastly superior kit to the Revell Corsair, everything pretty much fits, the wings just need a bit of sanding where they fit to the fuselage and the tail wing/elevator are slightly fiddly to get right but do fit. 

What I wouldn't do to see eduard do both an early & late Corsair ? 

• Like 2

Gosh I go away for a week and look what happens!

That's a nice model and a bit of a popular one for this build.

It's a shame about the trouble you had with the other build, hopefully this one will be successful.

• Like 1

This is where the build was up to, as of this morning. The GSB has been done and I've gone over the panels with GSB with a drop of Light Grey, just to slightly fade the paintwork. I can't stress enough how good these Eduard Hellcats are. I've been working on it more this evening and I'll post the results of this evening's modelling, hopefully tomorrow.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p9ufffmGls1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9uffvzsxx1u2mcb6_500.jpg