Mark's 1/72 MRCA Prototype

9 minutes ago, zebra said:

Decal artwork looks great. Not surprised your kit decals need replacing, the ones in my Belvedere have well and truly had it (not so much yellowed as browned!)

cheers

Z

Hopefully most will be useable, they had discoloured badly but a spell in a plastic bag taped to the window cleared them quite nicely, I'll do a test on a badly registered decal to see how they perform before printing may new set.

WOW!! How good does that look? I knew this would be something special Mark and you're delivering big time.

I cannot wait to see it all stickered up, this prototype scheme just looks so right on that big finned Tonka.

Cheers.. Dave 

Great job. 

The thing that sticks in my mind as the first impression of this kit was the weapons selection, enough for a small war! 

The box art also appeared prominently on the cover of Airfix Magazine the month the kit was released. 

John 

• Like 2

Its amazing how much you miss even when you've been looking at something for an extended period! Just a heads up if you ever decide to build this kit.

I saw that something wasn't quite right with the rudder on the port side, the rudder extends all the way up to the top of the vertical tail, however if you look at the starboard side, it is correct, terminating at about 2/3rds the way up the tail....really how did I miss that! The upshot is I couldn't live with it so I'm afraid so I had to take a backward step and apply some filler to the gap, Ho Hum

44599016641_174f8d6245_b.jpg

Port side

29661203437_35da548613_b.jpg

Starboard side

Probably someone has noticed the anomaly before but I didn't get the memo :doh:

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

This is looking good.

My, I feel old. Not only do I remember building this when it first came out but also articles in Airfix magazine where someone scratch built this and the Hawk in sheet styrene ‘as there were no kits available’ !!!

Trevor the grey and wizened 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evening all,

As per the Mossie not a lot of modelling time but I have completed the MRCA painting (shown) and have subsequently applied a couple of coats of Klear ready for some decaling:

The grey is supposed to be 'dove grey'? I didn't have any but I did have a lot of Medium Sea Grey from the Mossie build so I thought it was close enough.

After the decaling I need to seriously think about a display stand!

43878003775_6cb36cc49b_c.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 11

Evening all,

Been giving some thought to and experimenting with the display base this weekend:

43058806160_df3ebe7e8a_c.jpg

I'm hoping to take advantage of one of the home print decal pitfalls which is the lack of inkjet print density to come up with an afterburner effect of layered decals on some acrylic rod , a simple MDF base which is going to be gloss black and a 'graphic' motion blurred runway.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 7

You're making me want one Mark - in those same colours as well!

So how do the kit's decals stack up, are they still usable? 

Can you get After Market decals for these Prototype Tornado schemes? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You're making me want one Mark - in those same colours as well!

So how do the kit's decals stack up, are they still usable? 

Can you get After Market decals for these Prototype Tornado schemes? 

Cheers.. Dave 

The kit decals are OK, yellowed, but are working alright with close trimming I had to replicate some because they were so badly out of register, and obviously I've made up some specific ones for P-01. I have also 'nicked' a few bits of left over stencilling from my recent Eurofighter Typhoon build.

I had a very quick look before starting the build for aftermarket decals but not really in earnest as I was happy to create my own.

I've had an enforced day off today so made a bit of progress:

44187945344_aa9223521d_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

At last I've got one finished definitely behind the drag curve! there are certainly some prolific modellers in this GB!!

Anyway here is the 1975 Airfix MRCA Prototonka in the guise of the German P.01 D9591 shown on it's first flight on August 14th 1974 from Manching Air Base, Germany.

I have built the kit with an approximation of dropped flaps/slats. I had to modify the head boxes of the ejections seats, 'cos they just looked silly! The decals are partly the kit supplied and my own home print. The undercarriage has been extended to represent the in-flight relaxed position, surprisingly the most fiddly part of the kit is the main undercarriage doors which do not have any way of attachment so I added  a bit of plastic rod in the rough position of the door retraction arm as a sort of stay.

The display base is just a bit of MDF I had, a home made motion blurred runway effect done in Corel Photopaint and some acrylic rod with afterburner decals (Corel Photopaint again) 3 layered on each side and slightly misaligned.

I thoroughly enjoyed the kit and the GB and well done to all, have a rest, you deserve it. 

Hope you like it, pictures in the gallery shortly.

44412428054_e1d1bb8faa_b.jpg

auf wiedersehen, pet!

• Like 10

That looks just fantastic Mark and this build has inspired me to also model a 'Prototonka', however using the Revell GR.1 kit and trying to back date it to this period. We'll see how I go? 

I'll look forward to viewing the Gallery shots and fully agree that this has been a truly amazing GB. 

Cheers, well modelled and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1