Mark's 1/72 MRCA Prototype

Hello Chaps,

My second Multi Role Combat Aircraft build for this GB is the....Multi Role Combat Aircraft in the guise of Prototype P01 9591. The intention is to do a wheels down in flight take off scene.

41454669104_d333f79e08_c.jpg

41454668924_0a303a1bb1_c.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 12

Nice one Mark,now I'm about to show my age and tell you I built this kit when it was brand new and the Tornado WAS still a prototype!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Mark,now I'm about to show my age and tell you I built this kit when it was brand new and the Tornado WAS still a prototype!

Me Too! I remember that boxart appearing on the local newsagent's shelves.  Ì guess  it must have been a present, definitely the gloss white/red/black paint job must have slowed my usual completion rate.  Or exams or revision or something.  Luckily drafting tape was available via Dad so I guess by this plane I made a lovely job.  Mind you in my mind I feel I've only just got back to the standard of models I achieved 30+ aaaarrrrggghhhh 40!! odd years ago...

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I did not build it (I used to think it sucked compared to a Mirage, and this feeling resurfaces from time to time...) but I could already read fluently when this kit appeared on the market! Steve, I have this feeling that I could be your father... Yes I know... God forbid!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Mark,

This kit in this prototype scheme has the potential to be a real stunner and am sure you'll get the most out of it as you proceed through the build stage.

There's something about brightly coloured pre-production types, so take your time a give her all the TLC she deserves. Good luck.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Mark,

This kit in this prototype scheme has the potential to be a real stunner and am sure you'll get the most out of it 

Cheers Dave, I'll certainly do my best with it. As a few people mentioned above its another kit that seems to stick in the mind, I certainly remember it distinctly, I think it has a lot to do with the colour scheme but also the proximity time wise of the system development and first flight (1974) and then as an aside the very prompt release of the Airfix kit in 1975 it all seemed so immediate, however, the thing I remember the most is the mess I got into with the gloss paint! I'm certainly aiming for a better result this time.

I'm going to have to perform some surgery to the wings to achieve the take-off configuration, but I have done something similar to the Airfix 1/48 Tonka many moons ago, long before revell released a more up to date kit but I enjoyed the scratch building any way;

40671573000_1759e64be3_c.jpg

My only other attempt at the Mighty Fin!  much to my shame not yet finished... and showing some signs of deterioration the main gear is starting to splay out

28607429518_521559ba2a_c.jpg

...and an early effort at scratch building, something similar will need to be done to the MRCA also (and a spot of dusting as well)

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

Mark, if you can emulate this 1/72 kit into something similar to your larger Tonka, then this build will be great to watch. All the best. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

Making a limited start on the MRCA Prototype P.01 D9591.

The first task is to perform some surgery on the wings to make way for the extended flaps and slats for a take off configuration, for the flaps, at this scale at least, its a simple cut along the dotted line and replace with some stepped thin plastic card to create the familiar Tornado layered flaps, for the slats however I have cut a step which will be blended into the wing so the curved slat profile will match......that's the plan anyway.

28013706337_77e7031606_b.jpg

Next up the crew, here are Mr Paul Millett and Herr Nils Meister in pre-flight back in 1974 (that's not shading at the side of the helmets but some impressive sideburns!):

28013706517_103391f7b4_b.jpg

And a gathering of (not many) parts for the cockpit, simple but I think we can make it a bit busier:

28013706177_33d903717a_b.jpg

I'm going to try and keep a similar pace with both the Prototonka and the Mossie for this GB.

More later.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 9

That crew look quite good for 1/72 pilots, the detail and your paintwork to bring this out is fantastic. So she will be in full flaps/slats out mode, this will keep you busy and you’ve probably made that proto paintwork doubly hard for yourself. I’m sure you’ll come out on top though, Mark. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Started work on the slats and flaps for the MRCA:

43111034991_faa8d170e6_b.jpg

The slats and the flap guide arms have been added to the port side.

43111034761_6b4a2cf910_b.jpg

The rest of the flaps have been added.

43111034331_67f1a418a5_b.jpg

I have also chopped off the Nose gear oleo and added some rod to represent the relaxed in-flight position I retained the scissor assembly but discarded the axle and drilled out some square section rod to replace it:

43111035311_e73d5c707a_b.jpg

Should look a little better proportioned when installed and the wheels are fitted.

28241709507_c8cac2fab6_b.jpg

Additionally I have cut through the nose gear bay as it was only a millimetre deep.

That's all for now,

Cheers Mark.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Evening chaps,

I hadn't forgotten about this GB but you know....work.....Holidays.....taking on too many other GBs...blah, blah, anyhoo!

I decided to try and bring the Proto-Tonka in line with the Mossie build and its a good job I've recently purchased a nice new tube of filler, its always the same with top and bottom split fuselagesesses in my experience. Even with staged gluing, alignment was difficult and not complete successful, so a lot of sanding is required to get a smooth finish on this one. However, as you can see I have managed to get a rough approximation of the slats and flaps, the cockpit is treated really simply for this one with just neutral grey dry-brushed with a lighter tone.

I have put a slotted balsa block in the rear fuselage to accommodate the acrylic rods for the in-flight display.

I have re-scribed the panel lines on the top of the fuselage as I'm going to have to try and replicate some on the sides once I've sanded them down. so the main assembly is pretty much complete.

44027550392_bac21e3c43_b.jpg

I have also finished adjusting the undercarriage legs for the relaxed in-flight position.

Main Undercarriage legs, before and after:

43169655425_a906a94349_b.jpg

...and all three undercarriage legs extended:

43169655665_46af0362ba_b.jpg

Now, where's that bumper pack of sandpaper?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

Top work fella! 👍

I've seen tornados refered to as tonkas a few times - where does that come from?

I used to work with a guy who was a techie on Tornados he called it quite a few different colourful names, but mainly Tonka, however he said that on the flight line it was more commonly known as "aahh! ya'bast*!$" due to the number of sharp protrusions from various parts of the airframe. I think its also referred to as the Norfolk Land Shark and The Mighty Fin

I heard once that Tonka was in reference to Tonka toys which were really tough! probably an urban myth though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

Spent part of yesterday making a considerable amount of filler dust, getting moaned at and vacuuming! Result; a sanded down MRCA ready for a coat of primer to see if I need to keep the Vacuum Cleaner in the study.

44069539732_6f61b61a94_b.jpg

I just need to make some wing root seals and 'Klear' dip and attach the canopy and windshield before I apply the primer.

Before I finished the main assembly I also made a stab at making and detailing the Nose gear bay, but I forgot to take any pictures.

30258722468_420bac0431_b.jpg

Overall a good day, both the MRCA and Mossie progressed to a similar level and I got my twenty minutes of domestic exercise...you know what they say vacuuming is good for the abdominals and burns about 190 calories per hour so the bottle of red was totally justified!!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Gonna have to get my skates on now!  I have added a representation of the pneumatic wing root seals and I have primed the whole thing with Stynylrez white, which has showed up a few rough spots that need knocking into shape.  I'm going to keep it quite clean overall so I'm still debating about any pre-shading, if I do apply any it'll be in a very light grey before a final layer of white.

30648119828_a88c96848b_b.jpg

I think most of the rest of the scheme will be hand painted and I still have to knock up some additional decals to more accurately reflect the German prototype P-01 D-9591 as the kit set only details XX946 which was the 2nd Prototype, so still lots to do.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Evening all,

Time to get some colour on the Proto-Tonka and I decided to keep it all clean and pristine so no pre-shading and straight on with hand painted acrylics which go on very nicely over the Stynylrez which was good enough to use as the white.  Its going to take several coats to get a nice solid finish and some of the cutting in is a bit tricky but no major slip-ups.....yet!

44506812282_7bd2d24cde_b.jpg

I originally fitted the kit pitot but it was so flimsy that I removed it and made one from some slide fit brass tubing which allowed me to create a much more substantial fitting point:

44506810702_323616c119_b.jpg

More paint on tomorrow,

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Greetings all,

More of the same on the MRCA, hand painting and trying to match the markings to a very useful .pdf on the 01 German prototype gleaned from the Tornado SIG website. Nearly there just need to finish off the underside. 

44528247612_e6d620429f_b.jpg

And I have prepared a set of decals for P-01 as well as replacements for some that are poorly registered on the kit sheet. Print and lacquer tomorrow.

44578708371_bfd01ef93a_b.jpg

That's all for today,

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10