Mark's 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - COMPLETED

You will be able to just drop the u/c assemblies into the bays.  That's the way I did mines.  Avoids the "oh nooooooooo" moment when it would without exception snap.... ;)

Looking great so far though! 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Spent some time yesterday getting the main assembly of the Mossie up together. Overall the fit of parts was not too bad but I did have to fettle a little bit to get a couple of parts to fit correctly.  The most prominent of these issues was a step in the port nacelle and the top wing/nacelle part, which is actually evident in my earlier test fit photo. Leaving the step rather than the misalignment of the blend at the aft end was the lesser of two evils, even so some filling will be required there also.

42309375690_98ba6f15bf_b.jpg

The main assembly complete, masking of the canopy, cleaning up of the tyre treads and painting of the wheels underway.

42309375050_e725b1630f_b.jpg

Addressing the step in the nacelle front, some finessing still required.

I have also had a go at making a better looking Snow Guard for the air intakes. I used three cocktail sticks as a former and wound a strip of  flattened lead wire around the sticks, a single cut gave me several ovals of lead 'tape'. For the grille I 'borrowed' some mesh from a bag SWAMBO uses to keep some costume jewellery in (I made sure I didn't take it from the actual bag part but from around the draw-stringy bit...can you imagine having to explain why all the costume jewellery was all over the bedroom floor).

43220108215_4ec395dcf5_b.jpg

Forming the lead ovals for the snow guards.

42309375930_7c24213247_b.jpg

One Snow guard finished, to attach the mesh I taped the mesh down, applied super glue to the oval and pressed it on to the mesh, weighted it and left it to cure. I then trimmed away the excess.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Hi all,

Spent some time yesterday getting the main assembly of the Mossie up together. Overall the fit of parts was not too bad but I did have to fettle a little bit to get a couple of parts to fit correctly.  The most prominent of these issues was a step in the port nacelle and the top wing/nacelle part, which is actually evident in my earlier test fit photo. Leaving the step rather than the misalignment of the blend at the aft end was the lesser of two evils, even so some filling will be required there also.

42309375690_98ba6f15bf_b.jpg

The main assembly complete, masking of the canopy, cleaning up of the tyre treads and painting of the wheels underway.

42309375050_e725b1630f_b.jpg

Addressing the step in the nacelle front, some finessing still required.

I have also had a go at making a better looking Snow Guard for the air intakes. I used three cocktail sticks as a former and wound a strip of  flattened lead wire around the sticks, a single cut gave me several ovals of lead 'tape'. For the grille I 'borrowed' some mesh from a bag SWAMBO uses to keep some costume jewellery in (I made sure I didn't take it from the actual bag part but from around the draw-stringy bit...can you imagine having to explain why all the costume jewellery was all over the bedroom floor).

43220108215_4ec395dcf5_b.jpg

Forming the lead ovals for the snow guards.

42309375930_7c24213247_b.jpg

One Snow guard finished, to attach the mesh I taped the mesh down, applied super glue to the oval and pressed it on to the mesh, weighted it and left it to cure. I then trimmed away the excess.

Cheers,

Mark.

Now that is FANTASTIC

• Like 3

Evening all,

A while ago, I saw that @PlaStix used a dry brush effect to get a NMF on parts for his Motorised Hurricane build (which I loved BTW) So I had it in mind to see if I could get it to work for me at some point in the future. (any excuse not to use the airbrush) The scheme I've chosen for the Mossie build is a post war aircraft which has elements of NMF on the spinners and the nose cap. so I thought I'd use them as a test of the effect.

Firstly I gave the spinners several coats of thinned Tamiya flat black and then polished it with some fairly coarse paper towel.  I then masked off the front section and used Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium to dry-brush the nose of the spinner, the key is to make sure it is dry brushing; only very small amounts of pigment should be applied over the course of several coats, making sure that alternative coats are put down with the brush strokes going in different directions....

30290955208_835fbf4870_z.jpg   42349348080_777b00786a_z.jpg%5B

It doesn't take many coats to achieve a NMF look and I made sure that my last coat went down in the direction of the spinner's rotation. Any of you who have seen my build's in the past will know that I like to have some texture and variation of tone in the model surface, so this may not be to everyone's taste, but it works for me.  The rear section of the spinner was masked off and a similar process was carried out for the yellow, here the idea was to build up a denser solid colour.

42349348160_c340d8e4ab_z.jpg   42349348230_cdca10de9e_z.jpg

The spinner painting finished, I again polished the whole thing with paper towel to get a uniform sheen. The photos below show that the black line needs a bit of touching up but I really like the look of the effect.

I am currently working on the great little Airfix 1/72 P-51D for the Special dedicated GB and am considering trying it out on the whole airframe, with careful control of the direction of the dry-brushing strokes differences in the sheen of various panels could be achieved and the airbrush could stay in its box.

Thanks to @PlaStix for the idea and I'd be interested in what you all think of the effect.

42349348360_d1c630a6fc_z.jpg   42349348590_f7633a36ea_z.jpg

I have treated the undercarriage components in a similar manner:

42349348910_b7de8c4cae_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Looks really good from where I'm sitting Mark.

I may give this technique a go on selected panels of the B-29  for  tonal variation. 

Great work on the undercarriage too.

Cheers Greg 😁

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 2

That’s a novel technique Mark and the spinners in particular look very nice. I’ve often baulked at schemes because the spinners look to be too hard to paint, so it’s great to see this one heading in the right direction. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Afternoon everyone,

Painfully slow progress on the Mossie, it seemed to take ages to blend in the canopy and I know I will have to do more when the primer is on, but being so prominent it has to be right. I took the opportunity to enhance the windscreen wiper housing a little.

43539312294_de6405c951_b.jpg

I have also set about making a replacement side cowling for the piece I cutout to show the engine. I used some ring pull foil from a tube of tennis balls as material and made a 'brass rubbing' of the old part, rolled it flat, trimmed to the right shape and cut out the exhaust orifice, rescribed some of the detail  and added some strip plastic to the rear as strengthening.

43539312034_64513629e3_b.jpg

The 'Brass rubbing'

43539310564_bb07e8cccc_b.jpg

New side cowling front. I recreated the two cooling intakes by making a small cut with a sharp scalpel and then, using a cocktail stick worked from the rear onto soft balsa wood to press and shape the intake.

43539311574_9f3603a79e_b.jpg

New side cowling rear.

One part that needed to be retained from the old side cowling was the exhaust shroud which is depicted as part of the side cowling, so I chopped up the old part and removed the rear portion of the exhaust location slot;

43539310914_a0ef08f34e_b.jpg

The remaining piece was sanded to shape and a collar of plastic added, this and the exhaust stack will be glued to the engine.  The exhaust stacks have been textured with liquid poly and a old brush.

43539311344_e8b7599bb6_b.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Superb work mate! 

I'm really enjoying how you're turning a kit from the 70's into something that's up there with the best of the tamiya builds!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:28, MarkSH said:

Afternoon everyone,

Painfully slow progress on the Mossie, it seemed to take ages to blend in the canopy and I know I will have to do more when the primer is on, but being so prominent it has to be right. I took the opportunity to enhance the windscreen wiper housing a little.

43539312294_de6405c951_b.jpg

I have also set about making a replacement side cowling for the piece I cutout to show the engine. I used some ring pull foil from a tube of tennis balls as material and made a 'brass rubbing' of the old part, rolled it flat, trimmed to the right shape and cut out the exhaust orifice, rescribed some of the detail  and added some strip plastic to the rear as strengthening.

43539312034_64513629e3_b.jpg

The 'Brass rubbing'

43539310564_bb07e8cccc_b.jpg

New side cowling front. I recreated the two cooling intakes by making a small cut with a sharp scalpel and then, using a cocktail stick worked from the rear onto soft balsa wood to press and shape the intake.

43539311574_9f3603a79e_b.jpg

New side cowling rear.

One part that needed to be retained from the old side cowling was the exhaust shroud which is depicted as part of the side cowling, so I chopped up the old part and removed the rear portion of the exhaust location slot;

43539310914_a0ef08f34e_b.jpg

The remaining piece was sanded to shape and a collar of plastic added, this and the exhaust stack will be glued to the engine.  The exhaust stacks have been textured with liquid poly and a old brush.

43539311344_e8b7599bb6_b.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Mark.

How did I miss this - amazing work there Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello chaps,

Spent a little time working on the Mossie as well as the MRCA and managed to prime and then apply a sort of wacky pre-shading to break up the extensive areas that need to covered in Medium Sea Grey, so here it is....promise you won't laugh!

First of all Tamiya Flat Earth over Stynylrez black:

29580513997_d9efbbe9a9_b.jpg

And then Tamiya Flat Red over the Flat Earth:

29580513657_eac55ce5d2_b.jpg

The idea was to suggest the  wood construction and coloured priming if it looks ridiculous I can always put a heavier top coat on, anyway, we'll see. The nose has been left black so I can use the dry-brush metal effect to match the spinners.

Like the MRCA still lots to do, enjoying it though.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Evening all,

Not much done today but did manage to paint up the nose in the same style as the prop spinners, I can now mask off and apply the Medium Sea Grey all over.

44506803142_4fb81f839c_b.jpg

The irresistible urge to test fit the props got the better of me!

The other task completed today was to print and lacquer the decal sheet. This time I am using white decal paper so I have set up each element of the artwork with a border of Medium Sea Grey (CMYK 7:2:0:42) so I can cut close to the decal and not have a white border, the areas where the decal sits over dark green can be touched up after application, hope it works

44506803492_7611fa600f_b.jpg

Cheers,

MArk.

• Like 9

Afternoon all,

Had a day off waiting for a delivery today so took the opportunity to apply the allover Medium Sea Grey to the Mossie. I did build up light coats and the underpainting does show through but not very well in the photos anyway in conjunction with some weathering and post shading I think it'll break-up the paintwork reasonably well.

44587346682_f7f669f4fb_b.jpg

I'll let the Grey harden for a day or so and then think about masking off for the dark green.

Cheer, Mark.

• Like 7

Glad the undercolours are showing through!

a question - i see yours is missing what i think is the pitot tube on the fin.  Mines broke off but the other 2 i have they're missing.  Wonder if they broke off or "missing" all together....

• Like 1

Just now, Lawzer said:

Glad the undercolours are showing through!

a question - i see yours is missing what i think is the pitot tube on the fin.  Mines broke off but the other 2 i have they're missing.  Wonder if they broke off or "missing" all together....

I cut the Pitot off as I ordered some replacement brass gun barrels and the set came with a nicely turned Pitot as well.

• Like 2

Evening all,

The Medium Sea Grey had been left to cure whilst I languished at work today, so on returning home I cracked straight on with the masking for the Dark Green I decided to have ago at a soft demarcation for the disruptive pattern, something I've not done before. Thin sausages of blutack with the negative shapes filled in with small bits of Tamiya tape.

42851044390_f2711403d6_b.jpg

A short while after spraying the green the masking was removed (I'd read that the blutack can sometimes stain the paint) to reveal a reasonably even finish with one piece of errant masking tape occluding part of the leading edge and one small gap in the masking tape allowing a tiny bit of overspray:

43752401895_ca0005bfe2_b.jpg

A few other touch-ups are required, the black line on the nose has been lost in places to the masking and the yellow band will require adjusting but overall not too bad.

43943005574_5b9f37267a_b.jpg

42851044190_d285c63b45_b.jpg

Clear coat next.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Think you're maybe straying into taking on the 1/24 builds now fella! 👍

Ha Ha! God no, have you seen the size of the box? let alone the model...if I came home with that my life wouldn't be worth living. The 1/24th Hurricane I've got is bad enough and even I don't know where I'm going to put that when its finished!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2