Mark's 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - COMPLETED

22 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Ha Ha! God no, have you seen the size of the box? let alone the model...if I came home with that my life wouldn't be worth living. The 1/24th Hurricane I've got is bad enough and even I don't know where I'm going to put that when its finished!!

I mean you coul easily mistake that for a 1/24 - lovely work! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening all,

Completed some of the touch ups on the Mossie plus a couple of coats of Klear. I've now got her on her pins as a I need to make a start on the crew access ladder and need a working height to make it fit correctly.

43963078894_47f7bb6def_b.jpg

Somehow the geometry isn't quite right and I have a slight list to port with a wing tip height of the deck difference of about 5 mm  :doh:not much I can do about it now.

As @Lawzer suggested the undercarriage was jus a drop fit and was glued in situ so at least that bit was easy.

43772563605_eff19a2280_b.jpg

The access hatch test fitted, but I forgot to spray it so some further painting required.

43963078474_8627fe4f9d_b.jpg

Looking at her sitting with the cowling on the floor (cutting mat) I think I need some step ladders to go by the port nacelle.

Plenty of time.....

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 7

Hi all,

Made a start on the crew access ladder, very fiddly but we enjoy a challenge don't we?

As I now have a specific height to work with, I cut some 0.4 mm brass tube at the full length (46 mm x2) and cut lengths of 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0 mm tubing each minus a 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the total length respectively to form the telescopic assembly. each of the tubes was glued to the next except the thinnest which was left free to allow for some minor height adjustment as obviously the Mossie sits at quite an angle. Unfortunately one of the telescopic lengths shifted whilst the cyano was drying and is now locked solid so its slightly off. the individual lengths are slightly over scale but are close enough I think.

43975705004_e7105ff7cb_c.jpg

I made the ladder base from plastic which also helped to set the width of the ladder.

43975704804_056cfae970_c.jpg

On the first rung.....

43975704444_1000b22057_c.jpg

and a test fit, the top rung and securing hook/s need to be added.

Not perfect but once its painted up should add a further bit of interest

More later, cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

This is really turning out wonderfully well Mark. All the extra details are superb and as for those painted rings around the nose and spinners - well that’s just surgeons work! 

This will be one of the best builds I’ve seen of this kit - well since Lawzer’s one I suppose. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2018 at 23:08, Rabbit Leader said:

This is really turning out wonderfully well Mark. All the extra details are superb and as for those painted rings around the nose and spinners - well that’s just surgeons work! 

This will be one of the best builds I’ve seen of this kits - well since Lawzer’s one I suppose. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Naaaaa - mines is now hiding at the back of the hanger! ;)

• Like 1

Evening everyone,

Not a lot of bench time over the last couple of days but I have managed to get a couple of coats of Klear on the Mossie and the MRCA. I am in the process of applying the decals to the Mosquito with the upper markings nearly complete. Just a quick shot of progress with the Trolley Accumulator for scale and also the start of a set of Step ladders. I have also drilled out the gun camera port which I hadn't noticed wasn't there. and also added the windscreen wiper.

My home print decals are OK but they will require a little bit of touching up around the edges to disguise them a bit better.

30916950548_29814b3572_c.jpg

More later, Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

Evening all,

As well as the MRCA display base I've started to make a suitable base which will work for a few 1/48th models. I've also completed the set of maintenance step ladders for the display.

43058768640_67e072821d_c.jpg

44820460902_432490866c_c.jpg

Cheers, mark.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Those ladders look a bit nice, what paint/varnish did you  use ???

Thanks, the ladders are undercoated with Tamiya wooden deck tan and then painted with burnt umber and sienna oil paints and then dragged with a coarse brush to get the wood grain.....it takes an age to dry!

• Like 2

This and your Tonka thread both look amazing each time you update them. So much to like here and this Mossie looks so good. That’s the best ladder I’ve ever seen - great painting! 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Thanks, the ladders are undercoated with Tamiya wooden deck tan and then painted with burnt umber and sienna oil paints and then dragged with a coarse brush to get the wood grain.....it takes an age to dry!

....and where did the tools come from? Did you scratch-build them or pinch them from somewhere?

• Like 1

Evening all,

With the deadline met for the P-47 STGB I was able to crack on with the Mossie decals and apply a couple of coats of Klear ready for some weathering later this week:

45015420281_02a6ab730b_b.jpg

Not much on the underside....

45015419301_c00b955b80_b.jpg

In general the decals worked alright, one or two minor colour bleeds and as I mentioned before, some did require touching up at the edges where I had used a sympathetic outline colour to match the underlying paintwork. Overall though when some weathering is applied it should, fingers crossed, all blend in.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 6

Hello everyone,

Back again and the Mossie is starting to gain some character and looking a lot more subdued and weather beaten then yesterday.

It was always my intention to have her looking like a well worn, hard working aircraft so it was on with an oil dot filter and an immediate application of Tamiya weathering powder into the still wet oil paint a bit like a wet in wet technique.

30102657487_bffba1cd91_b.jpg

Here I have applied dots of Yellow Ochre, Titanium White and Ultramarine which is blended in using a soft flat brush.

30102658847_a9304e0e43_b.jpg

For the ventral staining I used Payne's Grey. I have a good image of an FB variant with a particularly heavily stained belly so I might apply a bit more.

30102658377_b358a24831_b.jpg

You can see that I have put the oil colour on some card which helps to leach out the oil medium so the pigment dries a little quicker, however the real advantage of this is that it is slow drying and can be adjusted or removed.

The top side has been treated the same way as the underside, but here I have applied the Tamiya weathering powder to joins, access panels and areas of wear and handling.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 6

Some great weathering tips there Mark, I appreciate the photos and explanatory text. Certainly one area I feel I’m way behind the eight ball. 

This Mossie keeps impressing me with each and every update. She’ll be a keeper when finished that’s for sure. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

The Mosquito is finally finished I took a quick photo this evening but I done run out of daylight! so I'll get some better piccies for the gallery at the weekend.

Really enjoyed making this kit, it very much is a blank canvas on which to add your own take on the aircraft, great GB, superbly organized by @Rabbit Leader very well done and thanks.

45251772071_24b19fc1d2_b.jpg

I've really got to get some suitable figures for these vignettes, I was trying to think of an appropriate title for it and the usual sort of stuff came to mind 'Mossie Maintenance' etc but I then thought how about having some 'erk disappearing into the crew hatch and another on the step ladder and call it (to be said in the best possible West country accent) 'ere Blanco where's me free ates'.

As I said more pictures at the weekend.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As expected Mark, this has resulted in another supreme build, well done. Now you don’t often see Type C1 upperwing roundels on Mossie kits, so full marks for going that way. Can’t wait to see the glamour shots in the Gallery. 

Now I must correct you on the GB ‘organisation’ part. Although I’ve been updating this whole show as it’s progressed, the ‘real’ organisers have been the two tiresome official hosts - Ian @Lawzer and Mike @Ventora3300. Without these two chaps none of this fun would have happened, I just tagged along for the long ride. Thanks all the same and to be truthful all members who have contributed here really need a great big pat on the back (a free Airfix Vintage Classic kit wouldn’t go astray either??). 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3

@Rabbit Leader, @Lawzer and @Ventora3300 I stand suitably corrected and apologise for the oversight and once again reiterate my admiration for all of those who take on GB organisation period! I must address the situation and volunteer myself for co-host duties if a subject about which I have enough knowledge to merit my involvement appears.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 3