144 Boeing 707-465 BEA Airtours *FINISHED*

The last couple of weeks have seen my 727 finished, so back to the 707s....

Have applied the cheatline to one side

20180816_172155

but of course, being laser printed and transluscent it shows two different shades of blue where it overlaps the white / metallic finishes😪😪

This is obviously worse in close up than at a normal viewing distance but not sure whether to carry on with these decals.

As I have a set of screen printed decals (but that requires the tailfin to be painted)  I'll try mixing blue & green to get an approximation to the BEA colour on that set - and then choose between my options.

In the meantime I'm working on engines, landing gear and the fuselage for the other 707

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Nice work! 👍

I admire you airliner folks in that you can't get away with a slightly wiggly off kilter cammo line...😁

Cheers Lawzer

I'll keep practising the wiggly lines though, for when I switch back to 1/48 jets

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2018 at 17:31, FortyEighter said:

As I have a set of screen printed decals (but that requires the tailfin to be painted)  I'll try mixing blue & green to get an approximation to the BEA colour on that set - and then choose between my options.

In the meantime I'm working on engines, landing gear and the fuselage for the other 707

I was interested to know how the colour mixing went for the next stage. Looking forward to seeing the 707's fly in (since my Comet is finally finished). Cheers. Mike

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I was interested to know how the colour mixing went for the next stage. Looking forward to seeing the 707's fly in (since my Comet is finally finished). Cheers. Mike

Funnily enough, I've just sprayed my first mix of Tamiya Blue & Green onto the tailfin - it looks more green than blue but isn't a million miles from the 26decals colour.

Will post a photo tomorrow.

Mike

• Like 2

Looking at the tailfin this morning it was too green, so added more blue to the mix.....

A couple of snaps as the light is very strong at the moment - the colour balance varies slightly between them (first taken outside, second indoors) but gives an idea of the match so far.  The fin is bluer than the cheatlines BUT on quite a few online photos this appears to be the case in real life too

20180901_12571820180901_125519

• Like 5

18 hours ago, BIG X said:

That looks like a really good match Mike - looking sharp. :goodjob:

Thanks BIG X - for some reason the finish has come out rather matt despite using mainly gloss paint.  Will get a coat of varnish or Kleer on before taking off the masking tape.

Regards 

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the diversion of the dedicated Mustang group build...……...

Decided to attack the tailfin with micromesh rather than use varnish

Stripped off the laser cheatline (it lifted quite easily with the aid of masking tape) and went back to those from Ray at 26Decals

So, the port side complete apart from the emergency exit doors. 

Windows from Authentic (but need to get some more cockpit ones before the deadline).  Also their spacing is very slightly wider than 26 or the kit but you all spotted it only has 52 windows rather than 53 didn't you!

20180914_170224

This is G-AWRD, a 707-465 originally delivered to Cunard (Eagle)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

G-AWRD, a 707-465 originally delivered to Cunard (Eagle)

Remember it arriving . The only other -465 , 'RWE didn't make it to Eagle and went straight to BOAC .

Here is the original 'RWD WIP at Boeings !

http://www.britisheagle.net/G-ARWD-Pic-3.html

RWE (Whiskey Echo might ring a bell ) had a sad end at LHR  which we saw (13 yrs old ish ) ( School Holiday) from a M4 bridge near Hayes on the way back from RAF Northolt on our bikes , after it took off and fairly high , smoke pouring from the Left Wing... No 2 engine was  on fire ,engine dropped off ( on to a Gravel Pit where Thorpe park is now ) and was turning back for a straight in landing as it turned out . In the meantime we were peddling like nutters towards the airport . By the time we got there it was on the short runaway in flames . That all happened in less than  (seemed like it anyway ) 5 minutes ! A Stewardess got a Posthumous George Medal went back in trying to rescue an old lady ,both died with 3 others . RIP

Your paint job looks fantastic and a good save from the decal thing on Foxtrot Oscar , something we used to say leaving Base Hangar after 8-12 hours of "work" .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 4

On 7/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, FortyEighter said:

Have just noticed that the tail pitot (or is it an antenna?) has been broken - will try to sort this with some brass rod.

HF antenna.  I gather fitted to all 707s and those 720s operating on overwater routes.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, FortyEighter said:

Edited by JosephLalor
Removed text from second submission due to not knowing if the first had gone in
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

had a sad end at LHR  which we saw (13 yrs old ish )

Your paint job looks fantastic and a good save from the decal thing on Foxtrot Oscar , something we used to say leaving Base Hangar after 8-12 hours of "work" .

Hi BeeZedEnn 

Crashed 1968, that makes you about four years younger than me.

Thanks for comment re paint job, still hoping that the wings can be fitted with minimum fettling at the end. 

If there is time to finish a second one will go with British Airtours red fin top, white, blue, metallic livery - at least there is no cheat line to worry about.

Regards 

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

still hoping that the wings can be fitted with minimum fettling at the end. 

I was thinking about that . Seen a few where everything is painted and wings to fit . I wouldn't be able to fill the wing route or make a good job of it . Whats your plan on the wing to fuse joint ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

operating on overwater routes

Never seen a 707 or 720 ( even on Photos ) without that antenna that I can remember anyway . It was a major 707/720 recognition feature when looking at a stack of Pan-American, Braniff, VARIG or United 707/720 and DC-8 fins ( that didn't have one ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

I was thinking about that . Seen a few where everything is painted and wings to fit . I wouldn't be able to fill the wing route or make a good job of it . Whats your plan on the wing to fuse joint ?

The wing fit looked pretty good, so at worst I'm hoping that any minor filling can be overcome by filling, masking wing along its edge and then a touch up spraying of the root...time will tell!

Normally I would attach wings before painting but this time thought it might be possible to try the other way round.

Edited by FortyEighter
Clarification
  • Like 4

Decided that I couldn't live with that awful joint on the upper wing surface; so have filed, filled, sanded, micromeshed and then rescribed the main control surfaces.  Based on the diagrams in Airliners Café "Ultimmate Boeing 707" guide - not 100% to scale but a representation.  A little bit of tidying up needed and then re-apply the red.

20180920_173100

I can't find a clear photo of how the upper surface was actually painted but will go with metallic leading edges, Boeing grey ailerons, flaps, air brakes and red otherwise.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Nice tidy work there! 👍

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree - that rescribing is most surgeon like, lovely work there and it’ll be really good to see this one finished and in the gallery. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks guys, hopefully this should get into the gallery before the deadline.

Now to rescribe the second pair of wings.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This project has been on the back burner for the last week but is now approaching the end:

20180930_171851

At the moment wings and horiz stabs are not glued in - apart from them just the gear doors to paint / attach and a few finishing touches needed to the engines

Edited by FortyEighter
Correction
  • Like 8

The BEA version is finally finished (though I've just noticed part of the rear starboard cheatline has broken off - so will see if there is any spare decal before posting in the gallery):

20181010_110442

20181010_110145

20181010_110320

20181010_110220

I'm also out of "Authentic" Boeing cockpit windows and forgot to order them!

• Like 11

That's come up really lovely and quite colourful indeed - those red wings are quite something aren't they? 

I'm getting quite tempted with all these 1/144 airliners and a good set of 26 decals, however am not sure which kit to start with - a Trident is a little off beat, that could be interesting. I hope you don't mind me saying this, however some stronger decal solution might help bed those cockpit windows a down a bit more. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3