144 Boeing 707-465 BEA Airtours *FINISHED*

I'm in with two Boeing 707 kits but not yet sure about liveries.  There is the choice of the kit BOAC, 26Decals BEA or British Airways Airtours and Classic Airliners BEA Airtours (the latter having decals for the tail so no need to source a paint to match the cheat line)

20180527_181330

20180527_181446

20180527_181404

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
  • Like 8

I think these Airfix airlines may prove to be popular choices.

The 707 is truly one of the worlds most important aircraft and it's great to see this kit represented here.

I'm a fan of the BOAC decals myself, however will back whatever livery you go with.

Cheers.. Dave.   

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Paul J said:

BEA Airtours !!!   Note in 2nd pic down, the lower decal set lacks a fuselage title...?????

Well spotted Paul, I'd not noticed that!  I'll have to send a copy of the photo to Nick Webb and see if I can get another title at least.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:07 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I think these Airfix airlines may prove to be popular choices.

The 707 is truly one of the worlds most important aircraft and it's great to see this kit represented here.

I'm a fan of the BOAC decals myself, however will back whatever livery you go with.

Cheers.. Dave.   

It could well be one in BOAC and another in BEA Airtours.

Have read some poor reviews of this kit but it's my intention not to worry too much about issues with the shape of the engines etc and to concentrate on the finishing instead.

• Like 6

I picked up the Airfix 'Snap n glue' edition of the 707 at the weekend at a car boot sale.

The box has a 1981 date on it, there are 'rub down' markings included too.

Not my usual subject choice, I just rescued it, so I'll be selling it on sometime soon. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Time for an update after a holiday and the distraction of some football tournament

20180704_105547

At the moment the wings and horiz stabs are not glued to fuselage.  The wing root fit is very good, so I could be tempted to paint them (red / metal edges) before fitting - that would also save masking round the engines / pylons as these could  be fitted to wings after painting.

As I don't have any Daco cockpits left, will have to live with the shape of the nose.

• Like 10

White (Halford's Appliance), Racking Grey and Red (Hu19) all applied. Will probably leave for another couple of days before masking for the metallic parts.

20180716_135046

Have just noticed that the tail pitot (or is it an antenna?) has been broken - will try to sort this with some brass rod.

I'm not sure exactly where the metallic finish extends to on the trailing edges of the upper wings (photos of planes landing clearly show that the underside of the flaps are red and suggest the tops might be metallic) - more research needed.

Oh and I forgot to say earlier that Nick Webb kindly sent me another set of decals with two BEA Airtours titles on the sheet.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage now painted and ready for decals.  Still need to work on those awful engines, assemble landing gear and paint the metallic edges on wings and horiz stabs

20180728_171738

My preference is to use Nick Webb's decals as they have a full tailfin decal, so no need to match a paint colour to cheatline - but the number of windows on those decals is incorrect compared to photos of actual BEA aircraft.

So, choices are:

1. live with the wrong number of windows (not my style)
  2. cut the window / cheat line decal and splice in a section without windows where needed (there is at least a spare cheatline section on the sheet) - can I hide the joint?

Overlaying a plain section onto the offending windows won't work as these are laser decals so a double layer will be a different colour.

The second 707 is progressing slowly, don't know if that will also be finished by the deadline.

• Like 4

Looking great! 👍

I've seen the term "cheat line" mentioned in a few of the airliner builds - excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

Looking great! 👍

I've seen the term "cheat line" mentioned in a few of the airliner builds - excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

Basically it's the stripe down the centre of the fuselage side.  Not sure why the "cheat" part - perhaps because it allows one to cheat (and not worry too much about accuracy) when masking for different colours either side of it?

• Like 2

Google says:

A "cheat line" is so-called because it was discovered that a horizontal stripe (or stripes) running the length of the fuselage would "cheat" the viewer into seeing an airliner appear to be longer (i.e. larger) and faster.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

"cheat line"

Pretty sure it comes from Ships (like a lot of Aircraft things) Air Line/Shipping Line , Bilges , Galleys , freight hold , cabin etc.  A long line the length of the ships hull to make it look longer , sleeker and more appealing ... Cheats the Eye . Same effect on Airliners .

This  is a basic Cheat on the cheatline ..Some US Airline ,think it was Continental Airlines Painted window frames on the DC-4 window "Cheatline" to look like the window frames of a DC-6 ,fooling the pax in to thinking they were on the latest Airliner in the fleet .

But like all things , more reasons to follow , no doubt.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Google says:

A "cheat line" is so-called because it was discovered that a horizontal stripe (or stripes) running the length of the fuselage would "cheat" the viewer into seeing an airliner appear to be longer (i.e. larger) and faster.

25 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Pretty sure it comes from Ships (like a lot of Aircraft things) Air Line/Shipping Line , Bilges , Galleys , freight hold , cabin etc.  A long line the length of the ships hull to make it look longer , sleeker and more appealing ... Cheats the Eye . Same effect on Airliners .

This  is a basic Cheat on the cheatline ..Some US Airline ,think it was Continental Airlines Painted window frames on the DC-4 window "Cheatline" to look like the window frames of a DC-6 ,fooling the pax in to thinking they were on the latest Airliner in the fleet .

But like all things , more reasons to follow , no doubt.

24 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

And here is a link to the Wikipedia definition of 'cheatline;.

Thanks for the clarification Gents, I didn't think mine was likely to be correct

• Like 6

Just remembered a story about BEA Airtours 707-436 G-APF etc and a -465 G-ARWD (ex Cunard Eagle) . Now BOAC had been operating them since 1959 ish  with only 'PFE (-436) breaking up over Mt Fuji, Japan and Whiskey Echo ( ex Cunard Eagle-465) catching fire leaving Heathrow to blot the safety record . BEA got them and decided the manuals were not up to (BEA's ) standard although they'd never had a 'plane that could hit New York before so re wrote the ops manual and a couple of other manuals . BEA didn't have any Flt Engineers ,(3rd Pilots were King unless they were in a Trident over Staines)  707s did have them so had to use BOAC 707 F/E's  furnished with a set of new instructions. Quite rightly  they said why have you changed this   and that , been on these since 1960 something ,it worked. We are BEA not BOAC ! My dad was going nuts , he absolutely hated BEA along with the rest of BOAC and probably viky verky over the roundabout from Comet House at Viscount House..This was the start of the pull and push and BEA muscle flexing of early BA in the making.

Please note

No BOAC VC10s were written off !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3