Airfix: The Golden Years Gallery

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

The thing about these "golden age" Airfix kits is they often don't take long to build. Obviously, some larger kits, like the B29 for example, take longer, but the single-seat fighters don't take long at all.

The 1978 tooling for the Hawker Hurricane MkI only has about 20 parts altogether, but looks the part nonetheless. With some aftermarket PE upgrades, a vac-form canopy, and a spare weekend, I'm quite pleased with the result. I still forgot to add the stirrup step. Oh well, I'll do it later. :blush:

Hawker Hurricane MkI, P3707 NN-A, No 310 (Czech) Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, Duxford, October 1940.

42853777555_d8d1c0d5f3_b.jpg

42853777875_0553b0eb05_b.jpg

42853777105_2d40cd346e_b.jpg

43709692332_009ecba5a9_b.jpg

43709692602_558a427731_b.jpg

Build thread here: 

• Like 32

It's time to add my Lancaster to the Gallery...

An interesting build for me.

I usually build straight out the box using materials available when the kit was new. My builds are also usually a fair bit older than this kit, with it's 1980 issue date. It's put up a bit of a fight, but I think that's more down to my rather odd mindset and fading abilities than the kit itself. I struggled with a bit of photoetch on this build, only for the detailing to vanish once the fuselage was buttoned up. Drilling out the fuselage windows was a good idea, filling the holes with Glue 'n Glaze less so. The glue does dry transparent, but not exactly flat. The dodgy optics catch my eye when looking at the model. That explains the lack of glazing on the port side, I'm having a think as to how to finish this area.

I don't know if it's my abilities fading or the very hot weather at the moment, but the brush painted finish gave a bit of trouble by drying far to quickly. It looks a bit rough in places. Likewise, my filling efforts around the upper turret looked fine when done but show a slight shadow now, a week or two later.

It's not a competition winner by far, but I've enjoyed the change of scenery and I've now got a plane I wouldn't normaly consider for my display shelves. Result!

Enough soul searching, here's the finished item. The outside shots were taken this morning in my garden. The plane is sat on a woolboard insulation panel. I've left things pretty much alone, photographicaly and photoshop wise, and just pointed and pushed the button. Ditto the black background shots. A bit of cropping and added borders are it for mods.

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

• Like 38

Another quick "before teatime" build. The 1978 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkIa is regarded by many to be an accurate rendition of the type, a benchmark for 1/72nd scale kits of the aircraft. This example came from a 1990s boxing, and exhibited modifications to make the kit a snap-fit model.

I wanted a pilot in this model, but I also wanted him to be animated with an arm raised as if indicating "all clear" to his ground crew. After digging through my Bits Box for a suitable figure, I settled on a German pilot of unknown origin since other figures simply wouldn't fit in the cockpit! Aside from an after market vacuum-formed canopy, so it could be positioned opened, the model has no added extras. Paints were Humbrol,  Xtracrylics and Phoenix Precision, the decals which replicated the classic Airfix markings are from Xtradecal, while a set of Spitfire stencils came from Propagteam. 

Vickers Supermarine Spitfire MkIa, N3277 AZ-H, No 234 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, Middle Wallop, April-August 1940.

28909950557_03de0412bc_b.jpg

28909950987_d5928e9f38_b.jpg

29976368708_1e9730cd4d_b.jpg

29976368308_6619e0c246_b.jpg

28909951367_d7ccdebd3b_b.jpg

• Like 33

Type 97 Chi Ha medium tank.

A bit rough round the edges, but done in 'classic' style and a lot of fun. 

Build thread here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039101-type-97-chi-ha-medium-tank-finished/

bpXLTHM.jpg

I0IAzBq.jpg

wG0rKuk.jpg

And for size comparison, here it is with a Matchboz PzKpfw II ofthe same scale and similar vintage.

8G1N431.jpg

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 23

Reissue of BT-K the first Airfix Spitfire kit in 1/72 scale.

Built out of the box with minimum tools and unpainted. This caused me a few problems with the finish as you can see a couple of light patches on the model which are areas i have probably not sanded polished enough before the application of floor polish. The transfers went on great though!!

This is actually the late 70's tooling of the Spitfire and not the original 1953 kit. Issued with the 1/48 F-22 Spitfire to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Spitfire.

Cheers Greg

29037618877_506248c1ce_z.jpg

42166701220_6b28ed98de_z.jpg

29037622147_55bc81e990_z.jpg

42166706130_abde5f3f2e_z.jpg

29037625887_794c90410b_z.jpg

• Like 27

Quite probably my final entry for this GB, I present the 1978 moulding of the Westland Whirlwind.

Westland Whirlwind MkI, P6984 HE-H, No 263 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, Exeter, December 1940.

A new concept for a long-range day and night fighter was issued by the Air Ministry in 1935. The Westland Whirlwind had a rather anonymous career, although it proved to be a robust aeroplane with excellent flying characteristics. The airframe was good, but was marred by the choice of power plant. The Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines were brand new, and really needed time for their manufacturers to fettle them. War, however, intervened, and Rolls-Royce found themselves with huge demands for Merlin engines. Sadly, it proved impossible to redesign the Whirlwind to accept Merlin power plants, and by the time the Peregrine issues had been sorted out and operational squadrons had been formed the De Havilland Mosquito was beginning to enter service, somewhat eclipsing the poor old Whirlwind. Eventually, squadrons were converted to Hawker Typhoons, and the Whirlwind was retired from front line service in 1943.

This kit was first issued by Airfix in 1978, replacing a tooling from the late 1950s. As a kit, it has some good details, and builds up into a nice representation of the Whirlwind. My boxing dated from the 1990s, so the transfers were fairly fresh. I chose some replacement resin wheels from Barracuda Models to replace the kit ones, but apart from one or two cockpit upgrades the kit is basically as Airfix intended. I found the open gear doors a trial to fit, with little contact area. Cleaning up the 20mm Hispano cannons was a chore, and if I still cared by that point I might have entertained fabricating brass replacements. I had enormous problems with painting, with all kinds of issues with primer not adhering to the plastic. I started out with every intention of airbrushing the model, but ended up with the hairy stick. Happily, although marred by some silvering and being a bit translucent, the transfers went on adequately. By the time I'd finished I was happy to see the back of this little plane. I doubt I'll try and find a better kit, or another Airfix Whirlwind, as at best is was only a bit part player during 1940. I do now have an example of the type in my 1940 collection, though.

30201735008_5a445b8ba4_b.jpg

30201734348_3029b80d10_b.jpg

43351309924_cbc737741d_b.jpg

30201734718_66b61dae3f_b.jpg

43351310194_0df1b95e10_b.jpg

WIP thread here:

• Like 30

RMS Queen Elizabeth

This was going to be an out-of-the-box build, but it soon became apparent that I was not going to be happy with a ship and no railings, so I quickly ordered some etch from Tom's Modelworks. Rigging was EZ-Line, paint was a mixture of brands including Humbrol, Revell and Colourcoats. I had good fun with it, and I hope it is better than the ones of the QE I did when I was a youth!

43164649155_d9e535d0d0_b.jpg

43164655025_19741cbd9f_b.jpg

44022872272_96a5a19ae6_b.jpg

44022888722_f837897ba5_b.jpg

44070893601_6d2de63db4_b.jpg

The build log can be found here if you want to see how it unfolded!

Thanks to all who have contributed and encouraged EVERYONE in this Group Build, it had has been a brilliant one!

All the best,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 32

Here's my 'Build it as a ten year old would have done' Zero fighter.

Started last night, finished a few minutes ago. Commando Comics provided all the references I needed. Bright yellow and bright red were strangely missing from the Authentics Japanese set, Airfix solved the problem with their bottled paints though, so no hold ups there!

Two pictures will do, it's only a fun build, not a serious replica!  It kept a smile on my face all the way through, especially adding the bullet holes.

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

Edited by TonyW
picture added
  • Like 34

Angel Interceptor

from

Gerry Andersons Captain Scarlet

Airfix 1/72

This is the 1980 snap fit kit re-released by Airfix in 2011. I re-scribed the panel lines and added a Retrokits cockpit insert which came with a seated Angel. It was primed and painted with Halfords paints straight from the rattle can using Gloss Appliance White for the main colour and a mix of Citadel and Humbrol acrylics for the detail painting. The decals and stencils are from the kit and are some of the best that I have come across in an Airfix boxing. After completing the decals I applied a pin wash to the panel lines using Abteilung 502's Starship Filth oil paint.

42285168610_b3eb9a728e_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42285172770_32a743a819_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42285171520_e368d26293_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42285173930_8d62281a72_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

SI42285170150_598d8cbc7c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

SIG

• Like 36

Scorpion Light Armoured Reconnaisance Vehicle (1975)

Finished mostly in humbrol paints (102 and 33 for the camouflage), and Pan Pastels for the weathering.  Decals from the kit, plus aftermarket Union Flags.  Commander figure is from the Matchbox LRDG set with different legs, and added headphones.  A relatively painless build, except for having to scratchbuild an extra track tread each side, and super-glue them in place...

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

• Like 28

AIRFIX 1/72 Pontoon Bridge

Well, it’s been a bit of an ‘epic trek’ – even by my meandering standards.  This not so ‘accurate scale model’ seems to have been a part of the childhood memories of many of us.  So may I present my bridge.  It’s given me hours of fun, over forty five years after the last time I pulled one out of a box.

Last time around it came with tanks, troops and even a DUKW.  There are no ducks this time, but at a whopping 13 parts in total I thought it deserved a bit of ‘help’.

If you are familiar with the kit you will notice I dispensed with one of the main spans – as initial measurements showed it would be over 2ft long.  This also allowed me to position the pontoons closer together – which looks a little more ‘realistic’.  I also glued the spare side supports together as they only had detail on one side.  I also added a bit of scratch detail…

• Fishplates for connecting the side supports
  • RSJs under the main span
  • Handrails on the walkways
  • Chains for anchoring the bridge
  • Soldiers and vehicles – for scale
  • Bridge signs and weight indicators
  • A base with a canal to sit it all on

Apart from that it’s pretty much OOB as they say. ;)

pontfind.jpg

pontfinb.jpg

pontfinc.jpg

pontfina.jpg

pontfine.jpg

If you like this but haven’t seen the build thread – you can find it here – though it does ramble on a bit…

Thanks for looking and happy modelling - Steve

• Like 44

Sopwith Pup, 4 Squadron RNAS. Painted with Revell Olivgrun for PC10 and Citadel Bleached Bone for the doped linen. Went together fine but I had some problems with the transfers as outlined in the WIP 

resized_d652d7a0-a167-4bc2-ba0d-bc8e8adf

resized_38a23ee2-fde6-4b40-8abc-d7dae681

resized_f6c74f8c-8980-480c-aacd-0c458f27

resized_82dc9fcc-4652-4d5d-8d35-f20d1072

resized_dc0ee6e7-890a-47c4-8771-d2daf4fb

Edited by 825
  • Like 24

My pair of Wildcats join the completed list.

It's been interesting building two versions side by side. The kits took on completely different characters as the builds progressed. The FAA version went together very nicely, with hardly a hiccup throughout. The prop even spins up when a breeze hits it! The US version was a whole lot different. I sanded down about half the rivet detailing as it looked a bit much for a shiny, dark coloured plane. Once painted though, it looked terrible. The rivets now seemed to be under a far too thick coat of paint. I ended up rubbing the whole thing down and repainting it. Then the transfers gave problems. The blue of the stars and bars was far too vivid and a fair bit of careful painting was needed to cover the blue with airframe colour. It also took more than one go to get a semi gloss finish I was reasonably happy with. Then rigging the aerial fought back a bit with the chosen fishing line used refusing to go on straight. It's done now and sits quite happily on its original stand. The pair look good to me and can join the rest of my out the box builds.

Here's the pair together...

url=https://postimages.org/]IMG_5462.jpg[/url]

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

• Like 25

And the "Old Airfix" B-25J Mitchell, finished with the eight-gun nose (handy for putting nose weight in if you forgot). I added some cockpit detail which is all but invisible now due to some strange reaction between canopies, future and masking tape, leaving the canopies unsalvageably murky. I trimmed lots of bits in the wing root area to avoid ending up with anhedral on the outer panels. Paint was Halfords grey primer followed by Humbrol polished aluminium, both rattle can. This kit has long since been eclipsed by the Hasegawa B-25J but it was cheap on Ebay and I enjoyed it on the whole. Build thread is here.

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 34

1/144 Airfix 'Sky King' Series De Havilland Comet 4B finished and in the Gallery at last.

Looking at the instructions for this kit, what impressed me was that this beauty was actually in service when the kit was originally issued in 1961. Quote: 'The current Comet 4B, now in service with British European Airways, is one of the latest developments of the original De Haviland Comet of 1949, the world's first passenger jet aircraft. British European Airways now operate Comet 4B's on their longer stages, such as those from London to Athens, Copenhagen and Moscow, the shorter high density routes now being taken over by the Vickers Vanguard'. So, this was not a rendition of a museum piece but was at the cutting edge of civil aviation. Just exactly what a twelve-year old wanted to fly round the room!

(From Wiki): The Comet 4 first flew on 27 April 1958 and received its Certificate of Airworthiness on 24 September 1958; the first was delivered to BOAC the next day.  The Comet 4 enabled BOAC to inaugurate the first regular jet-powered transatlantic services on 4 October 1958 between London and New York (albeit still requiring a fuel stop at Gander International Airport, Newfoundland, on westward North Atlantic crossings). While BOAC gained publicity as the first to provide transatlantic jet service, by the end of the month rival Pan American World Airways was flying the Boeing 707 on the same route, 

The Comet 4 was ordered by two other airlines: Aerolíneas Argentinas took delivery of six Comet 4s from 1959 to 1960, using them between Buenos Aires and Santiago, New York and Europe, while East African Airways received three new Comet 4s from 1960 to 1962 and operated them to the United Kingdom and to Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. The Comet 4A ordered by Capital Airlines was instead built for BEA as the Comet 4B with a further fuselage stretch of 38 in (97 cm) and seating for 99 passengers. The first Comet 4B flew on 27 June 1959 and BEA began Tel Aviv to London-Heathrow services on 1 April 1960. Olympic Airways was the only other customer to order the type. 

An Airwaves 1/144 detailing set was used and I 'procured' the BOAC decals from the US boxing and my imagined scenario was that it was painted up in BOAC colours in error before this 4B ended up with BEA.  Quote from BEA Plans 6 Nov 1959, 'B.E.A. are due to take delivery of their first jet airliner, de Havilland Comet 4B G-APMB, the first of a fleet of seven. Like B.O.A.C.'s Comet 4s, deliveries are ahead of the contract schedule; original 4B delivery date was January 1, 1960' So I did a little forgery to change G-APMF into G-APMB. 

100_2461

100_2460

100_2463

100_2465

100_2468

Build thread is here:

Many thanks to all you modellers who commented and supported during the build - onwards and upwards!

• Like 32

1974 Spitfire Vb 1/72

Pleased to submit my classic Airfix Spitfire.  Built pretty much from the box.  As the roundels were slightly out of register, I used a mix of the originals, latest Issue stencils and national markings from KP. 

2018-09-01_08-30-282018-09-01_08-28-262018-09-01_08-27-58

Cheer

Will

• Like 23

Hawker Typhoon 1B

Well thankfully I managed to get the new tool clear parts fitted (although I think I may remove them and put on the original part as otherwise I'd be left with a kit with no canopy :( ).

Rockets and rails from the new tool kit.

Rest OOB (with the addition of the V's thanks to @stevej60 ) so it could be done as a rocket carrier.  Some VERY basic scratching but overall I'm fairly happy with the result.

Would I build another?  TOO RIGHT!!!

(apologies for the terrible photos!)

DSC_5742

DSC_5743

DSC_5745

DSC_5744

• Like 26

Here's another less than serious build, a War Picture Libraryc inspired Westland Whirlwind.

A right bruiser of a plane, all guns and engines. This one is Airfix's second attempt at the type. The canopy, engine cowlings and undercarriage got a makeover in the seventies. I like both versions, but then I am a collector and a builder, so I would say that, wouldn't I?

A smooth enough build, although straying a bit close to a proper model for this type of thing. The Comic story follows the real life story of the plane fairly closely, including squadron codes and all. I've followed the comic cover scheme for the V-HE code on one side and in a nod to the original Airfix issue H-HE on the other. The original codes got tried just because I had a couple of spares. Once on the fuselage, I thought they looked far to good to not keep. A bit of an odd thing to do, but then again, copying comic covers is not exactly mainstream in the first place!

Enough waffle, here's the plane itself...

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

• Like 25

Grumman Widgeon / Gosling Seaplane 1/72 Scale originally produced 1959

I naively thought that given the small number of parts that this would be a nice quick build, err I was wrong. Unknown to me when I started this kit has a well deserved reputation for being troublesome. I found by filing down the locating pins, that some of the parts can be persuaded to fit ! The work in progress is below.

Photos below, thank you for the support and encouragement along the way

cheers Pat

IMG_4040

IMG_4041

IMG_4042

IMG_4045

IMG_4043

• Like 23

AIRFIX 1/76 K2Y Ambulances

These Bedford K2Ys were taken from a couple of RAF emergency sets.  They were built OOB with the only additions being some little lenses for the headlights and plastic windscreens made from a piece of OHP film.  The original drivers have been swapped for PSC drivers.  There is much discussion over where & when the RAF may have used K2Y or ‘KATYs’ – so I went down a different route and put them into service with the army instead.  There are plenty of documented photographs of KATYs being used by the British army during the Normandy campaign and so I chose to allocate them to the 18th Light Field Ambulance regiment of the 11th Armoured Division.  The decals for the arm of service came from Skytrex.  Most of the other decals came from the kit, except the tiny red crosses at the very front and back of the roof – which were again cobbled together from a Skytrex sheet.  The ‘well used’ look comes courtesy of some Flory washes.  The 'background' features my recent GB builds of the Airfix Church and Pontoon bridge.

K201.jpg

K202.jpg

K203.jpg

K204.jpg

K205.jpg

I hope you like them - they were a very easy build & If you want to check out the build thread you can find it here…

Thanks for looking as always & happy modelling - Steve

• Like 26