My next build is my Airfix 1:72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, which was a mother's Day present from my son. Having built the Airfix Nakajima Kate in the past I'm looking forward to building this little starter kit. The box includes paint, brushes and glue (I will be putting the paint to one side as the pits are too small to use with the airbrush), a small sheet of decals and some nice detailed instructions. There are 3 small grey sprues, all very clean with loads of detailing and one clear sprue. I plan to build her with landing gear down and as an out of the box build, Let's hope I can do this formidable fighter aircraft justice.

IMG_20180527_131144

IMG_20180527_131225IMG_20180527_131230

• Like 7

Having given the kit a wash I have set to work on the cockpit, I did some quick Google based research to see what the cockpit looked like and began painting.

IMG_20180527_155934

Painting the cockpit floor, fuselage walls and seat, before turning my attention to my pilot.

IMG_20180527_155833

All drying now, ready to apply the decals to the instrument panel later. So far so good!

• Like 5

Back to my builds today after a fabulous half term break. So where were we?........oh yes, before we went away I fixed both halves of the fuselage together, with cockpit and pilot in position.

IMG_20180603_163315

Today I turned my attention to the engine and cowling, I have found in the past fitting the cowling over the radial engine a complete nightmare, however in this instance Airfix have made a cowling that fits easily over the engine. 

IMG_20180603_163449

With the cowling in place I started work on the wings. Airfix give you the option of having wing tips folded, and as I have another Zero in a dogfight double set I've decided to build this one wing tips up. Using the panel line as a guide I carefully scored the area with my carft knife and cut it off.

IMG_20180603_164413

this was pretty easy and with a quick sand looked fine, so I fixed the top halves of the wings to the underside and have left them to dry.

IMG_20180603_165251

That's all for now.

• Like 7

Been busy working on the zero and forgotten to post anything about the build!😬 So here's a quick recap.....I attached the wings to the fuselage (went fine), filled any tiny gaps and sanded it down, fixed the canopy in place and masked it up (having already dipped it in varnish), and gave it a coat of primer. Then last night I attempted to airbrush the Humbrol 90 suggested in the instructions. Disaster! I hate airbrushing Humbrol and the colour looks far too green, so I left it to dry overnight and sanded it back slightly tonight. I then decided to mix in a little white to neutralise the green, and I'm fairly happy with the result (terrible picture....sorry), we shall see what tomorrow brings.

IMG_20180605_222947

• Like 4

The result of my own mix wasn't too bad, it looked less green and had sprayed evenly (well as even as you can get with Humbrol😡). I later gave the build another coat of the mix and left to dry. Tonight I have masked the aircraft up in a sandwich bag and airbrushed the cowling Revell black, along with the wheels and guns. I'm certainly glad to have finished spraying the Humbrol paint on this one!

IMG_20180607_220518

IMG_20180607_220536

• Like 5

Having sealed the paint in with Quick Shine gloss varnish, last night I began applying the decals. If I'm honest there aren't very many and using micro sol they have settled really well (apart from a slight mistake on one of the wings). Not much to report really.

IMG_20180612_201251

IMG_20180612_201256

• Like 14

Last night I began work constructing the landing gear, this went surprisingly well, made easier by the seemingly sensible build instructions.

IMG_20180614_080347

I have also sealed the decals in with Quick Shine gloss, so she is now ready for finishing touches and weathering before a splash of satin varnish.

• Like 7

Today I have spent time weathering the aircraft. First with a dirt pinwash to the panel lines, then a dirt wash all over (which I wiped in the direction of airflow), then I added chipping. Once dry I brushed dark weathering powder over the build, and rust to the underside.

2018-06-15_10-24-41

she is now masked and awaiting a coat of satin varnish.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

she is now masked and awaiting a coat of satin varnish.

Looking good Michelle. Seems like a really neat model, and you are brining it on really well.

Love it!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Given the Zero a quick light coat of Vallejo satin varnish using my iwata airbrush (since purchasing my Badger renegade krome the iwata has become my metallic and varnish airbrush), and left her to dry. All being well I will add the antenna later and the build will be complete.

• Like 2

Finishing touches all complete and the build is finished. I have enjoyed working on this kit, it went together with ease and has taken up residence in my display cabinet. Thanks for joining me on the journey.

IMG_20180616_200945

IMG_20180616_201011IMG_20180616_201023

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...