Captured Fokker D7

224 Peter

Hi, 

I want to build my ancient 1/28 scale Revell Fokker DVII in RFC markings. The only photo reference I've found is in this web article:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/WTF.aspx

This is the aircraft:

D7-RFC-6729.jpg

Can anyone help with any additional information on this aircraft, which squadron was using it? 

It is an Albatross built machine, I think the lozenge fabric is 5 colour, but it is difficult to be sure. 

Cheers, 

Peter

• Like 2

From a little digging it appears that the photo was taken at Bickendorf in 1918 or 1919 and no-one seems to know any more about it. I seem to recall reading that many of these machines were scrapped as the allies only required a few for evaluation and the rest weren't considered worth the bother of transporting and weren't to be left where they might be put back into service. It may have only been being used as a squadron hack while the business was being dealt with in Bickendorf. It would appear that the photo belongs to 'a' John Adams although I don't know if this is 'the' John Adams of Aeroclub and it appears that he was trying to find out if there was any info on it back in June 2010 without success.

Interesting, Beardie, thank you! I live and work near Bickendorf (ie Cologne) and tried to find out more about the british sqadrons there during the time of occupation post WW1, as well as about the german airplanes surrendered. It‘s all bits ad pieces here and there scattered around in books and articles. But - apart from the quite new book „Recovery and Retribution“ - nothing consistently concentrated on „my“ topics...

33 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Off the top of my head I can think on 6 or 7 RAF DVIIs. Need to check. 

Dave, 

that would be really helpful, if there is one without lozenge fabric on the fuselage it would make my project easier... 1/28 scale lozenge transfer sheets are not exactly common:

I was faced with having to scan and print the kit sheets and print my own transfers....!!

I have a couple more references for captured d.viis which may be of interest :

4043/17 - jasta 40, with roundels on upper wing and star on the fuselage.

5301/18 - jasta 1, with roundels on fuselage side.

I have the pictures in a cross and cockade periodical, but dont own the copyright so cant post here :(

6 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Dave, 

that would be really helpful, if there is one without lozenge fabric on the fuselage it would make my project easier... 1/28 scale lozenge transfer sheets are not exactly common:

I was faced with having to scan and print the kit sheets and print my own transfers....!!

There was at least one that was black, but I think it had lozenge wings - the Jasta 40 one mentioned above. Flown by a German Jewish pilot, hence the Star of David on the side

you can see it here,  second down on the right

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/decals/pheon48005reviewjf_1.htm

Edited by Dave Fleming

13 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Dave, 

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/124--128-decals.html .

4 and 5 colour decals, several flavours, and about as authentic as you can get. (Scroll down for 1/28th, - the first listings are 1/24th).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/124--128-decals.html .

4 and 5 colour decals, several flavours, and about as authentic as you can get. (Scroll down for 1/28th, - the first listings are 1/24th).

Paul, thanks for the link...

I have just compared the very "bright: 4 colour lozenge transfers with the Aviattic versions... clearly the Revell designers got a bit carried way with the idea that lozenge colours were "bright". 

The rest of the kit, from 1995, looks good. So I think I'll need a couple of sheets: they will probably cost more than the kit back in 95! 

Another model rescued from the stash that I can build within my 1915 - 1995 RAF "Window". 

Peter

Peter, do you you know about the shape problems with that kit?  When it was released IIRC the Windsock review was titled 'It's a DVII, Jim, But Not As We Know It'.  To my eye, the worst thing is the top wing (they've somehow more or less got it inverted when seen head on - the top surface should be flat, the dihedral being built into the lower surface). Before spending lots of money on decals I'd have a go at sorting that out first. Also, the fuselage is too deep. Numerous other problems. If this is new to you, I can dig out the review and list the main points.

Paul.

3 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Peter, do you you know about the shape problems with that kit?  When it was released IIRC the Windsock review was titled 'It's a DVII, Jim, But Not As We Know It'.  To my eye, the worst thing is the top wing (they've somehow more or less got it inverted when seen head on - the top surface should be flat, the dihedral being built into the lower surface). Before spending lots of money on decals I'd have a go at sorting that out first. Also, the fuselage is too deep. Numerous other problems. If this is new to you, I can dig out the review and list the main points.

Paul.

I was aware that although well moulded it had issues. But if they are really catastrophic it may not be worth the effort. 

Correcting the wing should be possible, slicing the main fuselage also, at least it is parallel sided: it all depends on where the error is. Taking height out of the engine end would be more of a challenge. 

So yes, if you can let me have the main errors it would be appreciated. 

Or if easier, I can pm you my e-mail and you could send me a copy of the review. 

Cheers, Peter

Just checked my notes, other than the Jasta 40 a/c above, all the captured DVIIs that had RAF markings I've seen have lozenge on the fuselage (The RAF also flew a few post war with German markings)

The others were F7703/18 (Photos in the AWM archive), OAW built 8438/18 and 2009/18 (The latter probably in French markings, but was handed over to the British) and Albatros built 817/18 and 6792/18