B-34 Lexington Questions

Tweener

e7f7679a89577b1fbcef3d3fabe222d8.jpg

Solid Nose

76d4853398927c8ef011160530f790b1.png

Glass Nose

Just had a few questions about the B-34 while doing some reading on it.

First, was the British Ventura MK.II the same as the B-34? And if not, what were the differences?

Second, I have seen some B-34 aircraft with the very end of the nose being metal, and others with it being a perspex dome of the same shape? Is this actually a different type of aircraft, and why would this difference exist if not?

Finally, what F.S. numbers match the American-Equivalent RAF paints?

Thanks, Tweener

And yes, I promise, builds soon. AT-11 is nearly done.

Edited by Tweener

Tweener,

From the 'net and the Squadron Signal In Action on the Ventura, I found the following information:

The B-34 Lexington was the name given to the 264 RAF Ventura II's that were impressed by the USAAF; some were used  as anti-submarine patrol bombers, but most were used by training units stateside

The Ventura I was powered by the R-2800-S1-A4G; 188 built for the RAF but 30 went to the RCAF

The Ventura II was powered by the R-2800-31; 487 built for the RAF

The Ventura IIA was the RAF designation for the B-34

I am not sure of this, but from the photos I looked at, it appears that the Venturas/Lexingtons used by training units had metal nosecaps replacing the clear Perspex nosecaps of the combat aircraft. I do not know why this was done.

As far as the colors are concerned, I would imagine that the MAP approved DuPont equivalents were used, but I know @Nick Millman would be able to give you the correct information on the subject.

I have attached a link to some photos that might be helpful. The Venturas that were used as training and transport aircraft frequently had the dorsal turret removed.

I'm sure another BM'er will be along shortly to add to or correct what I have posted above.

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=lockheed+ventura+b-34+lexington&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxsYH0saTbAhUD71MKHREKAcUQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=654#imgrc=0TWvbO1puPsqyM:&spf=1527372515487

I neglected to mention that the In Action on the Ventura mentioned that the last 300 aircraft from the RAF contract were completed as PV-1's; the clear nose section was replaced by a solid nose cap in  which an ASD-1 radar was fitted; in addition, it was stated that the two nose guns were omitted, but they are visible in some photos of aircraft with the solid nose section. Not sure if this info affects the version you want to do.  Also, if you are using the Academy kit, be aware that the engine cowlings are not accurate in shape, but excellent resin replacements are available from Aero Line, #72005. I have a set and they make a big difference in the appearance of the model!

Edited by 72modeler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tweener said:

e7f7679a89577b1fbcef3d3fabe222d8.jpg

Solid Nose

76d4853398927c8ef011160530f790b1.png

Glass Nose

Just had a few questions about the B-34 while doing some reading on it.

First, was the British Ventura MK.II the same as the B-34? And if not, what were the differences?

Second, I have seen some B-34 aircraft with the very end of the nose being metal, and others with it being a perspex dome of the same shape? Is this actually a different type of aircraft, and why would this difference exist if not?

Finally, what F.S. numbers match the American-Equivalent RAF paints?

Thanks, Tweener

And yes, I promise, builds soon. AT-11 is nearly done.

Hi Tweener,

The RNZAF received quite a number of B34's in the Pacific theater WWII  that were/had been in use by USAAF - these were Ex RAF orders

Here in New Zealand at MOTAT (Museum of Transport and Technology) have a preserved B34 see link attached

RNZAF B34

I would take the external colours with a grain of salt, but interior is original colour - you can see are not US Interior Green

It has the glazed nose.

There are NO FS numbers for RAF paint colours manufactured by US Companies to paint aircraft ordered by the British Air Ministry

in WWII immaterial what some folks might tell you. Britain and US came up eventually with ANA colours for Lend Lease aircraft, but

again no FS numbers (that's post WWII)

Regards

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dalea said:

If we are talking about Academy/Minicraft kits , check the turrets. If I recall, Ventura II kits have a Boulton Paul turret. B-34s will not.

Which is just as well: the Boulton-Paul turret in the Academy Ventura kit needs replacing anyway: it is symmetrical like a goldfish bowl whereas the real thing had a sharper curve to the back than the front.  Aeroclub used to make an excellent replacement.  The B-P turret in the much-maligned Revell Halifax I/II kit might (for all I know) be acceptable.

• Like 1

LDS,

Thank you so  much for sharing those excellent photos! Looks to be pretty original on the inside and from the appearance of the interior paint, looks to be the U.S. equivalent to the British grey-green, which would make sense as this one was a B-34 built for the RAF, as you have pointed out. I echo the comments regarding the Aeroclub B-P turret- I have only one and I'm guarding it like the Crown Jewels- wish I had bought a couple more when they were available!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

As far as the colors are concerned, I would imagine that the MAP approved DuPont equivalents were used, but I know @Nick Millman would be able to give you the correct information on the subject.

There were many suppliers of paints to the wartime US aircraft industry. DuPont was merely one. Based in Delaware, their use seems to have been confined to Eastern manufacturers like Curtiss and Grumman. California manufacturers like Douglas and Vultee (and possibly Lockheed) seem to have used the locally-based WP Fuller paints, whose shades were probably slightly different again....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

There were many suppliers of paints to the wartime US aircraft industry. DuPont was merely one. Based in Delaware, their use seems to have been confined to Eastern manufacturers like Curtiss and Grumman. California manufacturers like Douglas and Vultee (and possibly Lockheed) seem to have used the locally-based WP Fuller paints, whose shades were probably slightly different again....

Thanks, Roger; I was not aware of the regional aspect of the paint suppliers. I appreciate the clarification and will file this little tidbit away for future reference!

Mike

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Roger Holden said:

I have seen numerous WW2 advertising (ads and booklets) from Berry Bros./Berryloid which featured Curtiss aircraft. So Berry Bros. was obviously supplying some types of paint(s) to Curtiss.

I would imagine some aircraft companies used a number of different paint manufacturer's products and, perhaps, different paint products for different areas of their airplanes. Perhaps one certain paint manufacturer for primer or cockpits/interiors and another paint manufacturer for external surfaces/camouflage.

Cheers,

Tim

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, stevehnz said:

Minicraft have reboxed their Ventura kit as a B-34 with the correct Martin turret. It seems to have seen the light of day for only a short time & was not easy to find when I bought mine a couple of years ago.

Steve. 

I found this kit at a local hardware sometime ago, and got it when it went on sale(original price was about $30.00USD). I am glad to hear that it has the correct turret; trying to find a B-P one here... eh, don't want to think about it. I started a thread over a year ago asking about it(the kit); and, in classic BM tradition, found all that I wanted to know about the kit; and, a lot of knowledge about the type's use by the USAAF, RNZAF, etc., all of it good. The idea of the paint companies supplying aircraft and vehicle manufacturers on a local basis makes sense. DuPont could ship, say, 6 boxcars of OD paint to Lockheed in Calif.; but, the shipping time could still take 7-10 days to get there. The train would have to make several stops to attach, and detach various other cars, etc.. The RR were very efficient; but, the USA, like Canada, is a vast country. Relying on local paint co. would/could cut down on the time for a shipment. That being said; Tim above could also be correct. @Roger Holden made an excellent point.

• Like 1

The top turret from the Revell Halifax Mk.II makes an acceptable Boulton Paul Type C - certainly far superior to those in any other kit if not quite to Aeroclub standards.

If you were more interesting in an RAF Ventura but didn't want to go that route, Tony O'Toole did post picture(s) showing a Boulton Paul Type A (ie Defiant etc) turret in the dorsal position.  Bet none of those ever got onto B-34s.

• Like 1

Hello @Tweener ... I was thinking of you and this thread yesterday. I am an avid film watcher and tend to watch obscure war movies made during WW2. I was watching this film KHergDO.jpg

Most of it was filmed at the Lockheed plant and there is a boatload of time with hudsons and most likely Lexingtons being built. There is some really good footage of early P-38’s under construction. The majority of the film takes place in 1940-41 before the U.S. enters the war. And they’re mostly building Hudsons for the Brits. However towards the end Pearl harbor does happen and they show a hudson in U.S.Army markings. Again check netflix and other places to see if you can rent a copy ? Its a huge amount of video that might prove useful. 

Dennis

• Like 1