A strange 1/72 TSR.2 Request

Oliver

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with what might seem a strange TSR.2 related request.

Basically I was wondering if anyone knew someone who did custom vacuform canopies? Yes I am aware that CMK and Pavla both do vac canopies, but here is where it maybe gets a little strange.  The canopy i would like molded for my TSR.2 in clear vac is the one from the TSR.2MS kit, the anime kit one.

Why you may ask, well the single piece canopy seems like it would make for a good what if project for a modernised TSR.2, if it was completely clear that is.

So can anyone help or know anyone that can help? I can happily provide the part and pay?

Can't help with the part but a proposed Operational Trainer version of the TSR.2 had it been built was imagined as having the single piece frameless canopy to provide the instructor in the back seat with a forward view.      Hope that you manage to get what you are looking for as artwork in TSR2 - Lost Tomorrows Of An Eagle with that style of canopy looks very interesting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, k5054nz said:

The 1/72 builds of trainer TSR.2s I've seen online have used 1/48 Gnat canopies, for what it's worth.

I wasn't aware of that Zac but now that you mention it I can see how that would be the case.

Gnat came with two canopies , single-piece closed and two-piece open options , so there should be plenty of spares out there Oliver , will see if I can find mine and get back to you , know exactly what spares are in the same box with it but just cannot lay my hands on the box at present.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1

Oliver, if you want to try the 1/48 Gnat canopy route I have now found the leftover two-part open canopy pieces from my kit and could send it to you , pm me with an address if you want it.

Hi Chris, I would love to do this, unfortuntely the MS canopy is white plastic not clear!

Thanks for the interesting info Zac, didn't know that, if you have any links to this builds I would love to see some please to help with inspiration?

Des, that's most kind of you, PM inbound.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:23 AM, Oliver said:

Thanks for the interesting info Zac, didn't know that, if you have any links to this builds I would love to see some please to help with inspiration?

They were on WhatIfModellers.com but I fear since the Great Photoshop Madness they photos will all be gone (it was long before the 1/48 Airfix Gnat was ever dreamed of, from memory they were Aeroclub canopies). I'll have a trawl and see if I can find anything.

Well, slap my thigh, I’m in the process of build a 1:48 TSR.2 Whif and intend on using a single piece canopy plus a few other alterations.

With regard to the main canopy, I’ve glued the main canopy components together and have spent hours, no days, no weeks, sanding it to try and get a suitable master so that I can plunge form a replacement canopy!

I will succeed...:D

Only thing I’ve yet to decide on, is whether the canopy will be hinged at the rear, like the Tornado or from the side as per the BAe Hawk!

Thanks Zac, a very interesting discussion.

As i've said I'm going to try and do a modernised TSR using the canopy from the trainer design as a basis to kind of be like a tornado would be in Telic, but a TSR. I'm going to do it rear hinged on mine, new radome etc.

Just got to decalling my TSR.2 GR1B, modern one is next, and then i might do a development batch one with the camo over white.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can copy the part for you in clear resin, it would cost about £3 + post. However, you will have to prep the part so that it is ready to mould, i.e all frames removed and highly polished - the shinier the part,  the clearer the casting. Also you will have to wait until I am casting clear parts as the casting require baking for several hours.