Martinsyde F4 Buzzard, July 1936 Spain, AZ (1/72) conversion

Hi,

My latest finished - back to Spanish Civil War subjects. This is Martinsyde F4 Buzzard from San Javier - Murcia naval base in July-August 1936. The kit is a AZ one scratch converted to late variant with radiator moved from front of engine to bottom of fuselage. Decals from drawer and some hand painted. Buzzard was very obsolate ,achine in 1936 since it comes from end of WWI. This type was soon phased out from first line to training. 

Here she is:

40557969720_e77c8b33b2_b.jpg

42365200331_151bb5ede0_b.jpg

42316886132_0170304a1e_b.jpg

40557962590_043978de25_b.jpg

42316883742_0c775e838e_b.jpg

27495732967_a93130d29f_b.jpg

27495737947_92ca5a94b0_b.jpg

42316880592_875de77680_b.jpg

40557955800_ca0982dc2a_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Nice. The Martinsyde Buzzard  also has the distinction of being the very first aircraft aquired by the Irish Air Corps.

Not strictly true it was the Martynsyde Type A Mk II which was the first. But it was based on the Buzzard so a close relative. So arguably yes. Bristol Fighters came next followed by the Buzzards. 

Amazing to think there was a Buzzard still extant in 1936. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Gents for all warm words! About riging - besides tha is rather complicated also one have to study photos to correct what is given on drawings. Especially in tail and in area of central struts before cockpit. Also in drawings in a Spanish book "Aviones en la guerra civil..."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGGtzv_eBVaAbRfc8kyPU

there are mistakes in drawings regarding rigings and the inlet above prop is shown single whereas on photos is doubled...

Regards

J-W

12 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice. The Martinsyde Buzzard  also has the distinction of being the very first aircraft aquired by the Irish Air Corps.

11 hours ago, noelh said:

Not strictly true it was the Martynsyde Type A Mk II which was the first. But it was based on the Buzzard so a close relative. So arguably yes. Bristol Fighters came next followed by the Buzzards. 

Amazing to think there was a Buzzard still extant in 1936. 

It could be added here hat single Buzzard was used also in Poland as personal machine of general Zagórski - the commandor of airforces bfore 1926

29_1.jpg

This scheme is in one box by AZ. 

10 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Very nice, I've now plans to build the Spanish two-seater using the AZ kit and the resin Omega kit.

Thanks, the two-seater F4A was temptaiting me a bit also, so I wish you enjoyful conversion/kitbush work :)

10 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

At last! You’ve made an aircraft I’ve heard of!

Sorry for dissapointing.. ;) . I think that about Buzzard I've learn when I bought some 15 years ago the Spanish book mentioned in previous post - so for me it is still less known type, even it is in fact the well known one. 

There are two more airplanes with roots deeply in WWI, all Britts BTW. Those two others are DH9 and Avro 504. I hope to do them soon. DH9 will be also from SCW and Avro 504 will be "N" from Belgium, 1940.  

Many thanks for comments

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2018 at 9:35 AM, JWM said:

It could be added here hat single Buzzard was used also in Poland as personal machine of general Zagórski - the commandor of airforces bfore 1926

29_1.jpg

This scheme is in one box by AZ. 

Thanks, the two-seater F4A was temptaiting me a bit also, so I wish you enjoyful conversion/kitbush work :)

Sorry for dissapointing.. ;) . I think that about Buzzard I've learn when I bought some 15 years ago the Spanish book mentioned in previous post - so for me it is still less known type, even it is in fact the well known one. 

There are two more airplanes with roots deeply in WWI, all Britts BTW. Those two others are DH9 and Avro 504. I hope to do them soon. DH9 will be also from SCW and Avro 504 will be "N" from Belgium, 1940.  

Many thanks for comments

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy,

For my Spanish DH9 I used the vac fuselage from Classic Plane with a modified front fuselage (top and nose), in combination with the wings, tail and landing gear from an Airfix DH4. Shouldn't be beyond your skills, when I look at your other builds.

Peter

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Hi Jerzy,

For my Spanish DH9 I used the vac fuselage from Classic Plane with a modified front fuselage (top and nose), in combination with the wings, tail and landing gear from an Airfix DH4. Shouldn't be beyond your skills, when I look at your other builds.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you. The use of Dh4 part is very usefull and temptating, though it is very difficult to get DH4. Therefore I alredy cut wings and made it samller. The fuselage i will try to modify by scatch build . I willl test my skills here :)

Regards

J-W

Wonderful job Jerzy,.... wow imagine fighting in a Buzzard in 1936!! Hope they were phased out before the Civil War started!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 12:27 AM, tonyot said:

Wonderful job Jerzy,.... wow imagine fighting in a Buzzard in 1936!! Hope they were phased out before the Civil War started!

Tony, many thanks. Actually it looks that Buzzards were in first line during July and August 1936, so in two first months of war. Soon the race of weapon eliminated them to training roles.

Many thanks for comments

Regards

J-W