Special Hobby three seat night fighter 1/72

Mottlemaster

My second build for the G/B is this little kit that i got of ebay quite a few years ago . now seems the ideal time to clip it together.

P1020795

P1020799

P1020800

P1020801

P1020802

This looks like it may be another sanding and dry fit challenge 

Come on you little 262 BRING IT ON

• Like 5

Arrr I know this model, I have one in the "not quite completed" section amount many others. It's been there for years but as memory serves me it wasn't a bad model to build at all.

I was wondering when we'd see one of these or similar, I'm glad one showed up.

Hopefully you can give me some inspiration to drag mine out and finish her.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2018 at 21:51, Valkyrie said:

What a treat, great addition to the GB and will be watching this

Thanks Valkyrie . Hope i can do it justice .

P1020805

Cockpit made up as per instructions with the exception of seat belts which i have made from Tamiya tape .Care has to be taken to check position of all parts relative to each other as its a tight fit and there are no locating marks . When installed the cockpit tub is a very good fit 

P1020806

Used two part epoxy to secure tub in fuselage . This gave plenty of time if needed to adjust seats etc to fit .

Here is a dry run of main parts together . I recon this 262 has the most pleasing shape of any 262 project .

P1020810

The onion exhaust supplied by S/hobby is far to rounded at the front and looks more like the front central dome so after drilling a hole in the center this is where they will go  as S/hobby dont supply any for the front .

I am using some bombs from the spares box to fashion some new onions for the rear 

P1020807

This is where im up to now so will attach tail and nose

Obligatory picture of lead stuck in nose

P1020808

I am now going to order some brass tube for pinning wings and tail plains as again no attachment points are provided .

• Like 4

there's plenty of room for weights in that model. 

For the era when it was designed it had a very modern look to it. With good engines it would have been a formidable beast.

On 13/06/2018 at 23:48, trickyrich said:

there's plenty of room for weights in that model. 

For the era when it was designed it had a very modern look to it. With good engines it would have been a formidable beast.

I wonder how its performance would have compared to a DH Vampire  or Meteor Night fighter  . Engine maintenance would have taken longer with them not hanging conveniently down below the wing .

If they had had access to proper materials they would have been a completely different engines, the majority of the issues were to do with the quality of the materials and premature failures a a result. This aircraft was proposed to have the HeS-011 which was more powerful and advanced that the BMW-003 or Jumo-004, there was a DB-021 Turboprop version of this one on the drawings as well.

It's always interesting to play the guessing game with these, but I reckon (just been doing some numbers) and with HeS-011 using the right materials, you would have been looking at early F-86 Sabre performance from her! Know wonders there was such a rush to grab all the hardware and documents at the end of the war! Make you wonder what the P.1011 would have been like if it had ever flown? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress . Used a Humbrol glue applicator to make the pins .

P1020814

Filled the joins with my fav talk ca glue mix .this also aided their chance to not fall off

Cut out the vac canopy , only get one so great care taken . not a perfect fit but falls into that will do range .

gave a spray with some halfords grey

P1020815

P1020816

painted nose white and rear off engines alclad aluminum then masked off

P1020817

Acoat of RLM 76 and some custom grey violet thick worms

P1020818

P1020819

Color scheme as per instructions , not something i often do

Under surface in black

removed canopy masks

P1020820

Applied some Copydex to drop tanks so i could expose the Rlm 76 blue paint as these were from an old 262 day fighter

P1020821

Decals were thin and only wanted to stick to them selves so some are from spares box .

Only the undercarriage to do before this one is done and i will get back to the main project.

• Like 4