1/48 MiG-31: AMK or Hobby Boss?

Good day,

I think this is my first posting here..

I am interested in the building the MiG-31 in 1/48. As there is no real price difference here in Germany, which of the two kits is more accurate? Panel lines on the Hobby Boss seem a little less deep and wide compared to the AMK kit, the AMK has a one piece forward fuselage.

I would like to here your opinions.

Many thanks,

Thomas

I built the limited addition AMK one with the white metal gear and photo etch. It was a very complete package! It's a massive beast and heavy too, i think the standard plastic legs would struggle with the weight of it. The detail is great but the panel lines are pretty heavy. I didn't put a wash in them and they look plenty visible still. 

The detail looks more crisp on the AMK bird and the engineering is pretty good,  only the tails on mine required some work.  From what I've seen though both kits look great when built up! The AMK kit looks like a more enjoyable build,  i had great fun with it.  

• Like 1

I’ve built the AMK kit and thoroughly enjoyed it, I would definitely try and get the metal gear legs as the plastic ones struggle with the weight. I’ve not heard any bad reports about the HB kit but you won’t be disappointed with the AMK example.

Muzz

If you build the AMK MIG 31, metal gear is a MUST for this kit as the plastic ones simply sag under the weight. Long term integrity using plastic kit parts is, I suspect, zero.

A nice kit but the panel lines are a bit heavy so do not go too extreme on panel line washes or 'weathering' etc. as they are quite clean and well maintained aircraft in real life anyway.

Gary

Accuracy wise, the Hobby Boss is far from perfect, but it is more accurate than the AMK. In addition, AMK panel lines are heavy. Hobby Boss panel lines are more subtle.

Yes, Mig-31 is a heavy model and do needs metal legs. Hobby Boss is giving some very sturdy mix of metal and plastic undercarriage legs just out of the box. Same it is not true for what concerns AMK, for which metal legs are an expensive option.

Go Hobby Boss.

• Like 1

@galfa.....I got the AMK metal u/c set with nose pitot for 8.99 delivered from Hannants in the UK .

The FULL set which also includes tinted canopy and canopy seal decals is around £15 I think.

Andy