1/48 Scale Y-wing Scratchbuilt

Hi all,

Well at long last my journey with the Y-wing has come to an end.  I give thanks for the help and encouragement I got from my buddies, especially Boz and Wally; they kept me plugging along and keeping to the right path for this beast.  These final pictures illustrate how she came out.  Not a perfect model but I'm really happy with the results.  First up is a picture of the bottom; I find it at least as interesting as the top side.

Y- fini bottom s

Next, here is a picture of the base.  It is a simple box with the power plug and a switch in the back.  You can see the top of the 1/8" RCA plug that the model connects to.

Y- fini base

Here she is from the right front.  The base is picking up a little reflection from behind; it really is all over black!

Y- fini base rt front

Now from the rear, showing off the vectrals.

Y-finis black up rt rear

And finally the "money shot" showing off the lighting.

Y-fini base lights lt rear

That's all, folks!  Many thanks to those of you who have commented, I appreciate all the kind words.  May the Force be with you, always.

Cheers, Yoda

Edited by Jim Kiker
Corrected wording.
  • Like 25

Amazing work - ILM and Lorne would have been proud of you had you been part of the team back in the day ( a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away)

shame you are in the States as I would have liked to have seen this on display in the UK to admire

Gentlemen,

Thank you one and all for the kind words and for the encouragement along the way.

For tiking, the answer is no.  The studio models were approximately 28" in length and used 1/24 scale figures for the pilots.  That implies that the studio models were roughly 1/24 scale.  My Y-wing is just shy of 14", making it half-studio size or about 1/48 scale.

HTH, Jim

• Like 1