Sopwith Camel 2F.1

Nice one Michelle, who doesn't like  a Camel.

And, if you'll permit a suggestion, try shooting your Camel against a non-reflective background in the 50% to 60% range of the greyscale below more of the detail will show up.  Your camera takes a reading on the lightest part of the scene and a dark subject can be under exposed and the detail lost.

Cheers

Dennis

c468448e-93d0-4359-9f0f-d96a649acb22.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Catching up with this one. Yes that is a bit of a pig of a kit - one of Airfix's first releases from the late 1950's and it shows.......

You are certainly making a good job of it - do try the rigging - it is one of those skills that seems nearly impossible until you try, when it turns out to be a lot easier than you might think. And it really adds to the realism of early ircraft and biplanes.

P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DennisTheBear said:

My daughter has picked this model as the next one I start (from the RAF 90th Anniversary set) so I'll sit quietly and take notes.

DennisTheBear

My son usually picks my next builds.......not always the ones I want to build next tho😀.

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 1

So last night I sat down and attempted to build the wings and undercarriage. The kit was very old and part of the undercarriage was broken, so I glued it together and began work. Starting with the struts that join the fuselage to the top wing I carefully super glued them into place (which gave me the correct angle), I then secured the outer struts. Once I'd taped these together I began work on the undercarriage. This was more fiddly as the struts were weak and warped, however, with a little persuasion they are finally in place.

IMG_20180612_201320

IMG_20180612_201328

All in all for my first attempt, and with an old kit I'm pretty happy with the look I have achieved. Next I plan to add decals, the gun and few final pieces before airbrushing a coat of satin varnish.....and attempting the dreaded rigging😬🤯

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 5

Out of likes Michelle so, er, like! :) 

Looking very good from here and that must have been fiddly on such a small kit - nicely done.

Good luck with the rigging, it's something that needs a knack IMHO. Or practice!

• Thanks 1

You will be fine with the rigging Michelle, it looks harder than it is. The added bonus is that, once you have mastered the technique, a whole range of new subjects will open up for you. Admittedly, that leads to more kits in the stash but that's a good thing as well.

Martian, whose stash has now filled up one of Saturn's smaller moons. 👽

• Thanks 1

How are you planning to do the rigging?

I did this Fokker EIII and PT-17 Kaydet with 0.1mm stainless steel wire. The roll, which I think was 10 metres, cost around £1.50 from Ebay. I stretched a piece a little, between two sets of pliers to straighten it, and cut it slightly over length with a scalpel on a hard surface so I didn't bend the end. Sometimes I needed to roll the wire between two pieces of hard plywood to help straighten it from the roll.

It was offered up to the model to check the length, and carfully trimmed to size. One end then had a tiny spot of PVA woodworking glue applied, and that end attached to the centre strut on the EIII. It was left a minute or so until the glue had enough grab that the other end of the wire could be moved without pulling the first joint off. I tiny spot of PVA was then added to the free end, and the wire lifted into place with a cocktail stick. The glue dries clear, and is lost once the matt coat was sprayed over.

Biplanes are a bit more tricky, getting the wire in the correct place between the wings, but so long as the length was cut correctly, and the first glued end left long enough to grab and hold it attached, lifting the second end into place was fairly easy after that.

fokker_eiii_2017_002.jpg

pt17_2017_002.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Michelle. From time to time we all need to tackle a very old kit, to see what modelers had to contend with in these early days! The words shake and bake were never used together then!

The machine guns do seem to be pointing at the sky, which is interestingly avant garde!

You are doing really well! With the rigging, a bottle of Paracetamol and a paper bag to blow into may be useful equipment to have at hand!

May the force be with you!!!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jean said:

Nice one Michelle. From time to time we all need to tackle a very old kit, to see what modelers had to contend with in these early days! The words shake and bake were never used together then!

The machine guns do seem to be pointing at the sky, which is interestingly avant garde!

You are doing really well! With the rigging, a bottle of Paracetamol and a paper bag to blow into may be useful equipment to have at hand!

May the force be with you!!!

JR

If I'm honest the kit had the machine guns missing.......I'm not a scratch builder but thought I'd best put something in there (making the best of a bad lot really).

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

How are you planning to do the rigging?

I did this Fokker EIII and PT-17 Kaydet with 0.1mm stainless steel wire. The roll, which I think was 10 metres, cost around £1.50 from Ebay. I stretched a piece a little, between two sets of pliers to straighten it, and cut it slightly over length with a scalpel on a hard surface so I didn't bend the end. Sometimes I needed to roll the wire between two pieces of hard plywood to help straighten it from the roll.

It was offered up to the model to check the length, and carfully trimmed to size. One end then had a tiny spot of PVA woodworking glue applied, and that end attached to the centre strut on the EIII. It was left a minute or so until the glue had enough grab that the other end of the wire could be moved without pulling the first joint off. I tiny spot of PVA was then added to the free end, and the wire lifted into place with a cocktail stick. The glue dries clear, and is lost once the matt coat was sprayed over.

Biplanes are a bit more tricky, getting the wire in the correct place between the wings, but so long as the length was cut correctly, and the first glued end left long enough to grab and hold it attached, lifting the second end into place was fairly easy after that.

fokker_eiii_2017_002.jpg

pt17_2017_002.jpg

Hi,

They both look fantastic! I'm going to try the elastic style line Ced and another modeller at a show suggest, however, I'm very glad for an alternative should this go wrong!

Many thanks,

Michelle

• Like 3

if all else fails, there is always the good old stretched sprue to come to your help! But elastic thread would appear to be fool proof, so you'll be fine!

No, I didn't say it!!!

Have fun!

JR

PS: Congrats for scratch building the machine guns!

• Thanks 1

Well what can I say about the decals🤔....let me see......old kit......c*@p decals! They didn't want to come off the backing paper, didn't want to settle, even with micro set, and didn't want to stick! Looks ok this morning tho.....

IMG_20180614_080257

IMG_20180614_080308IMG_20180614_080319

• Like 9

Very smart Michelle, you've settled them pretty well from what I can see :) 

Not a scratch builder eh? Those guns look pretty good to me...

• Thanks 1

you did well with those decals!

Airfix, like other kit manufacturers, seem to bring back antiquated kits in jazzed up boxings, where the decals are way more recent than the plastic.

The ones you used do not look like the original ones, far from it.

Having say that, even fairly recent decals can be c**p! 

Great show.

JR

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 10:42 PM, waylandsmithy said:

Do they sell model kits at the airshow? Damn, I was hoping for a cheap weekend!

Yes. Yes they do. I hope you got some. 😎

15 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Well what can I say about the decals🤔....let me see......old kit......c*@p decals! They didn't want to come off the backing paper, didn't want to settle, even with micro set, and didn't want to stick! Looks ok this morning tho.....

IMG_20180614_080257

IMG_20180614_080308IMG_20180614_080319

Well doesn't that look the business. Brilliant work. 👊

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, waylandsmithy said:

Looks really good! I forgot to ask though: why did you put it in a plastic bag for a while??

It was an easy and cheap way if masking up most of the fuselage, I have done this before and it saves time and lots of tape.

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 4

On 6/14/2018 at 8:11 AM, Shelliecool said:

Airfix decals went through a horror period a while back where they where even worse than Roden's - which is saying something. Bravo on the build so far - I had a wing jig to build my Camels (Academy/Revell/Roden) and I still nearly lost my mind. I have an Airfix Pup in the stash, hope its not so bad...

Camels aren't the easiest place to learn rigging - I recommend the excellent Airfix Roland CII 'Whale' for that, plus it has a smile - but there are worse (DH2...). The secret is in the planning, get the cabanes sorted first and then decide if you are going to double up the control wires. Control horns can be cut from sheet brass and inserted into a slot cut with the tip of a scalpel.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Thanks 1