Finally got around to starting. Nice Hurricane to celebrate the 100 years of the RAF

P1000282.JPG

Work starts with the cockpit just for a change. This feels like a limited run kit, but the fit isn't terrible mix of PE, Resin and Plastic

P1000283.JPG

Then on with the resin seat and belts

P1000284.JPG

Peter

• Like 2

Last couple of days work mainly filling the wings. The fit is pretty agricultural, but I can see why the did it, to allow easily for different wings. The Resin wheel wells and light mounts both needed a lot of sanding to fit.

P1000288.JPG

P1000289.JPG

Then added the radiator and the volkes filter - again needed some filling. Typical limited run kit.

P1000290.JPG

P1000291.JPG

Peter

• Like 6

Nice work on the Hurricane. I love the pile o' modelling stuff in the background. I have some of the Hobbyzone drawers too, but my desk is still a mess - I just can't help it.

Today's work - first finished off the wings, by adding the landing lights, navigation lights and cannons

P1000292.JPG

P1000293.JPG

Then as a bit of a change from all the filling / sanding I decided to make up the prop and weathering it down

P1000294.JPG

P1000295.JPG

Peter

• Like 7

Hi Peter

Impressive work, but the blades are a compressed wood composite, Jablo, and prop blades just don't  weather like that either.

ab17b2b1d06cff90255510464377cec9.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane_variants#/media/File%3APilot_6_Sqn_RAF_with_Hurricane_IID_at_Shandur_c1942.jpg

They have brass sheathing on the leading edge.  There is a great colour shot of a Spitfire XIV showing brass showing. 

The yellow tips are 4 inch, can't remember what that is in 1/32nd.

Here's a second line desert finish Hurricane, which may help with how they weather

Hawker-Hurricane-MKIIc-RAF-MWJ-LB680-Nor

HTH

T

• Like 3

Cheers Troy - i'll sort it at the weekend, but I had some fun doing it that way (which is sort of the point)

On 6/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, monsjmse said:

I love the weathering on the prop blades Peter :like:. Was that done with chipping fluid, or did you scratch the top layer off with a tooth pick?

Even though it's wrong , Alclad Aluminium base, AK Worn Effects fluid, then the tamiya black / yellow. Attack with wet stiff brush, then some pigments and oils over the top to tone it down.

For a limited run kit this isn't bad. I built it for my 'Clang!' diorama last year and I've got the IID kit ready for another build at some point

DSC_7865.JPG

• Like 4

Today's work - a lot of oil weathering, and adding the wheels. You may notice that the exhausts are missing - that's because I lost one, so the other is in some RTV so I could copy it. Of course when I was tidying up at the end of the session i found it, typical.

P1000307.JPG

P1000308.JPG

P1000309.JPG

P1000310.JPG

Peter

• Like 8

This is looking great, but must resist, 2018 is the year of Japanese subjects so the Fly Hurricanes will remain in the stash.

Nice job

Cheers

Dennis