Tamyia Spitfire Mk. Vb

The MK I is nearly complete, so I decided to move on to the MK Vb. This is another model I had built many years ago and never painted. I'm using Stynylrez for the first time.

41425811605_dd9e64cd33_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I covered the black base with an insignia white marble coat and then 2 light coats of medium sea grey. The marble effect was very subtle, so I added some highlights with a mixture of white and medium sea grey.

42529856214_8e1a316035_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

small update - I am afraid of decals and though time consuming, I like the look of paint better

Here are the roundels painted.

41773444500_a2bd0959a0_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ocean grey/starry night

I decided to paint the grey areas alone. I am afraid that the marble effect will get lost if I painted green top coat over grey top coat.

The camera picked some of the subtle effect.

After research here and other sites/books, for my top grey coat I ended up with Mr Paint Ocean Grey 30 drops/Insignia White 18 drops/RAF Sky 5 drops. It is a little on the light side, but after weathering, I think it will look ok.

30207786718_a2b3829a7b_b.jpg

30207782938_6b895f1601_b.jpg

Edited by Crane
spelling error
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Finally, upper surfaces top coat finished. I had to refer back to pictures to see how much undertones I let through the grey. In the future, I think I may try painting the entire model grey, then adding the green (less masking).

30879851087_396eebe64f_b.jpg

• Like 2

You don't have to repaint the bottom but saying that it does appear to be lacking the contrast which should be apparent between Medium Sea Grey and Ocean Grey. In that last photo it's virtually impossible to detect any difference.

If it was me, I'd repaint the bottom as this is something which would annoy me beyond the trouble that I'd have to go to in order to change it. But that's a call that you'll really have to make.

The build looks excellent by the way though!

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

Repainted under surfaces with a lighter shade, still not light enough but I am going to keep it. Fixed up a couple of tiny green over-spray marks too, so it was worth the effort.

32107481238_d864325889_b.jpg

• Like 4

Great work so far.  If you are still not happy with the contrast, you could probably just respray the demarcation line with a lighter color.  It would require pretty minimal masking and spraying time.  No one would notice if the rest of the underside was slightly darker.  Alternatively, you could darken the Ocean Grey (again, just at the demarcation line) during the weathering process.

David