Hellenic Air Force A-7E

32 minutes ago, sandros said:

I would like to help a little. In my humble opinion tan is very dark for a HAF airframe. It should be on the yellowish side of this color.

The real challenge is weathering. This is the reason why HAF A-7's is one of the most demanding builds. Good luck

Thanks very much, yes I completely agree with you about the colour. The plan is to get the basic camo scheme painted using the "correct" colours and then weather them to something which is more like the real thing.

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 1

Can I suggest, Roger, as you are not too far down the road, that you adjust the angle of the nose wheel cantilever arm. The Hobbyboss A-7 has a pronounced flatness to this part. Nice subject - I recall first seeing them when arriving on exchange at Coltishall in the late 1970s. They were new then (and were A-7Ks), of course! I spent a few good hours on the perimeter with John Dunnell awaiting their arrival :). 

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

11 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Can I suggest, Roger, as you are not too far down the road, that you adjust the angle of the nose wheel cantilever arm. The Hobbyboss A-7 has a pronounced flatness to this part. Nice subject - I recall first seeing them when arriving on exchange at Coltishall in the late 1970s. They were new then (and were A-7Ks), of course! I spent a few good hours on the perimeter with John Dunnell awaiting their arrival :). 

Martin 

Thanks Martin I see what you mean. I have a folder with loads of A-7 images and missed that and now it's been pointed out it sticks out like a sore thumb. I've carefully manipulated a bit and it looks better but I daren't do too much.

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I spent a few good hours on the perimeter with John Dunnell awaiting their arrival :). 

I'm jealous now .............😆

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

It still needs some refining though.

Looking better by the day Roger.

Terry

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sandros said:

It starts looking like a Greek Sluff!

Excellent, thank you. ☺

12 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm jealous now .............😆

Looking better by the day Roger.

Terry

Thank you very much Terry. 

Hello Rodger ... The Corsair is looking great so far. Quick question .. Are the decals faded ? Or are you planning on fading them like the paint once they're on ? The few Greek Corsair photos ive seen and studied looked chalky in appearance. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone.

Funnily enough I was discussing the subject of the markings with someone lastnight. Most photos I have collected of HAF A-7's that look like this have markings in pretty good condition so they'll be getting just a small amount of weathering, sorry. 😁

An example....

26269250639_57b7a813ab_b

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 5

I've just re-read my comment about not wanting to overdo the weathering and it probably sounds a strange thing to say when you look at the real aircraft.

What I suppose I'm trying to achieve is for the weathering to look like the actual aircraft but still to be in scale and look convincing.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:08 AM, Roger Newsome said:

...and strangely enough was only looking at the 1/48 A-7  online last night..... it's only a matter of time.🤣

On 5/29/2018 at 2:27 AM, Roger Newsome said:

The more I think about it the more I think I need one of these in 1/48.😃

I've got a Hasegawa A-7E strewn on and around my desk at the moment.  It DOES have a pleasing heft in 1/48.  Yours is looking very nice, but I'm planning to go the other direction with a "pretty, clean" Navy bird.  That's my excuse for dodging weathering, anyway...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I've got a Hasegawa A-7E strewn on and around my desk at the moment.  It DOES have a pleasing heft in 1/48.  Yours is looking very nice, but I'm planning to go the other direction with a "pretty, clean" Navy bird.  That's my excuse for dodging weathering, anyway...

Thanks gingerbob. 

Hmm, a fairly clean US Navy A-7 in 1/48? I'm nearly there. 😃 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

I've just re-read my comment about not wanting to overdo the weathering and it probably sounds a strange thing to say when you look at the real aircraft.

What I suppose I'm trying to achieve is for the weathering to look like the actual aircraft but still to be in scale and look convincing.

Hi Roger,

I actually think your weathering is pretty spot on so far. These aircraft were allowed to get very heavily weathered and I also think the Greek climate (mostly hot) had a lot to do with fading etc. If you continue to just replicate what we see in that real pic, you will make a stunning A-7.

Terry

• Like 2