Hellenic Air Force A-7E

Now my old F-4 is done and dusted I'm going to be concentrating on this, which despite Hobby Boss' claim is an E. 

101351-16559-69-pristine

I'll  be painting this scheme, which should explain the practice run on the Phantom. 🤣

HTB1Ex6qSFXXXXbEXpXXq6xXFXXXc

Cockpit.

20180521_131347

• Like 14

Are you going for some heavy weathering on this one?

I still have my old Airfix kit to make, so will be very interested in seeing this progress.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I like the different colour scheme, nice to see a Hellenic one. Are any A-7s still flying?

As far as I'm aware the last Hellenic Air Force A-7 was retired in 2014, not sure about anywhere else. ☺

Definitely in for this one, Roger. I have the 1/48 Hobbyboss A-7E lined up for my next build (unless another box grabs my attention first). Not sure if the kits are scaled up/down cousins, or different moulds.

To my knowledge, no one is actively operating the A-7 any more, though according to a wikipedia contributor, the Thais still maintain their fleet in standby condition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Definitely in for this one, Roger. I have the 1/48 Hobbyboss A-7E lined up for my next build (unless another box grabs my attention first). Not sure if the kits are scaled up/down cousins, or different moulds.

To my knowledge, no one is actively operating the A-7 any more, though according to a wikipedia contributor, the Thais still maintain their fleet in standby condition.

Thanks for the input Chris. I also have the HB 1/72 A-7D lined up to do at some point and strangely enough was only looking at the 1/48 A-7  online lastnight..... it's only a matter of time.🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I love A-7's so will tag along for this one also. Greek airframes are especially nice 😁

Great start on the cockpit.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry.

This is where I'm at at present, this evenings plan of action is to get the fuselage halves cemented together.

20180525_121023

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

This is where I'm at at present,

It always feels like major progress step when the fuselage gets closed up!

What paint manufacture/ref is that Zinc Chromite primer in the tailpipe. Looks really good. I have very vivid memories of an A-7E the first time it ever came to the Farnborough show many years ago. My mate and I were especially keen to see the inside colour of that jet pipe and I remember the amazing shade of yellow green that greeted us! You could get almost close enough to poke your head inside in those days!

Terry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

It always feels like major progress step when the fuselage gets closed up!

What paint manufacture/ref is that Zinc Chromite primer in the tailpipe. Looks really good. I have very vivid memories of an A-7E the first time it ever came to the Farnborough show many years ago. My mate and I were especially keen to see the inside colour of that jet pipe and I remember the amazing shade of yellow green that greeted us! You could get almost close enough to poke your head inside in those days!

Terry

It's Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green Terry, maybe not exact but pretty close from the photos I've seen and definitely near enough for me.

• Thanks 2

A little tip for anyone building this as the SEA camo aircraft 160736 as per the kit decals and paint guide. The instructions list part E35 as an unused part, however it's the anti collision light and was fitted to the real 160736 in which case the locater holes in the fuselage need to be drilled out and E35 used.

20180526_204317

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Oh how I hate canopy work .............. 😓

Me too, the only answer is WWI aircraft but then there's  all that rigging so it looks like ill be masking canopies for the foreseeable. 🤣

That was quick!

These Hobbyboss SLUF:s sure are nice to build, even though the intake isn't the truest to form.

I just got hold of another D, so maybe this build will give me the needed push to finish the first?

Good craftsmanship in the preshade, I think you hit the right balance. 

2 minutes ago, Christer A said:

That was quick!

These Hobbyboss SLUF:s sure are nice to build, even though the intake isn't the truest to form.

I just got hold of another D, so maybe this build will give me the needed push to finish the first?

Good craftsmanship in the preshade, I think you hit the right balance. 

Thanks Christer. I should have said that it has been painted in thin layers on a base of black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 until it looked right. I'm a bit concerned that I'll lose some of the effect when I add the green shades.

The more I think about it the more I think I need one of these in 1/48.😃

• Like 1

I would like to help a little. In my humble opinion tan is very dark for a HAF airframe. It should be on the yellowish side of this color.

132_1154w7.jpg

The real challenge is weathering. This is the reason why HAF A-7's is one of the most demanding builds. Good luck

• Like 3