Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G

This is my first time showing a build here, but some thing I'm interested in doing more of. And to test the waters I've got a simple easy kit to start with, at least I hope it will be easy.

It's going to be straight out of the box to keep it simple and will probably have mistakes as I know nothing about historical accuracy and the paint job will probably be all wrong lol

I don't plan on painting the crew for this build, but that may change later on.

Pictures of the box, spures, decals, etc are behind the spoiler.

Spoiler

eMdHb8B.jpg?1

CoDrkeE.jpg

2I1DcR1.jpg?1

dfNAtex.jpg?1

• Like 2

I remember building this one back when it was first released....I think in the late 70"s, 😬, boy I do feel old.......in fact, 🤔 I still have the motorised gearbox and motor it came with and the battery connections......and I think some of the parts like wheels and tools in a spares box....I'm such a hoarder:coolio:

Good luck with it James, and my advice is don;t worry about accuracy of colour or specifications. Practice a clean building practice and painting techniques. Save all the super detail issues until your comfortable with a style your happy with. It's a Tamiya, so fit and quality will help you enjoy this build.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I remember building this one back when it was first released....I think in the late 70"s, 😬, boy I do feel old.......in fact, 🤔 I still have the motorised gearbox and motor it came with and the battery connections......and I think some of the parts like wheels and tools in a spares box....I'm such a hoarder:coolio:

Good luck with it James, and my advice is don;t worry about accuracy of colour or specifications. Practice a clean building practice and painting techniques. Save all the super detail issues until your comfortable with a style your happy with. It's a Tamiya, so fit and quality will help you enjoy this build.

Cheers

Simon.

For some thing that was made in the 70's it holds up very well. I bought Revell's Admiral Hipper and instantly regretted it when I opened the box, awful awful kit, now I do my research when it comes to buying a kit.

Not going to stress too much about it, I'm still learning and trying techniques out.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:17 PM, robw_uk said:

Nice choice. This was the kit i built first on my return to armour...

Had this in my stash for many months and it's my first 1:35 scale, it's also going to be my first with an airbrush so it could go all wrong lol

• Like 2

Glued some card on the inside to cover the holes where the switch and motor stuff used to go.

Spoiler

NGxqcSV.jpg

Filled in the holes with some perfect plastic putty. And sanded them smooth.

Spoiler

P3hpk95.jpg

Put the hooks on, I know they have a name but my minds blank.

Spoiler

itdYWl4.jpg

Got the back onto the hull

Spoiler

K02NGkw.jpg

Next will be wheels.

• Like 3

I bave built this kit a couple of times it is great because it is a quick build and can be found for less than a tenner.  An ideal Guinea pig for trying all the techniques for weathering and pin washes. 

Looking good so far

Rodders 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 10:00 PM, Hamden said:

Nice start, this builds into a nice replica oob

Looking forward to watching this come together

Roger

Struggling to find good reference pictures of either the F or G version, but will probably just do a straight panzer grey or desert colour.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:45 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello James just curious about your markings and scheme ? Panzer Grey early war Poland, France, or Panzer Yellow North Africa ? 

Dennis

I'm no expert in paint scheme's or markings, It'll probably be either panzer grey or north africa.

On 5/26/2018 at 7:44 AM, Rodders154 said:

I bave built this kit a couple of times it is great because it is a quick build and can be found for less than a tenner.  An ideal Guinea pig for trying all the techniques for weathering and pin washes. 

Looking good so far

Rodders 

Might actually go with this one again in the future just for practice.

Bit of progress over the past few days.  Decided to go with Desert Yellow, won't be too much weathering, mostly dust.

Got the wheels together and a test fit on the hull.  Also assembled the turret and drilled a hole in the exhaust.

Spoiler

FDHQojf.jpg

I then airbrush Vallejo Desert Yellow 90.977 over the hull, exhaust and turret.  Still learning how to airbrush and get the right consistency of paint to thinner,

Spoiler

Vu2T7Zp.jpg

Got the wheels painted with Vallejo Desert Yellow 70.977 and gave the guns a coat of Revell Anthrazit 36109

Spoiler

nGeh1Tb.jpg

Edited by James77
  • Like 4

nice progress - I'm learning how fiddly all these wheels can be, as I'm a AFV newbie - keep up the good work :goodjob:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

nice progress - I'm learning how fiddly all these wheels can be, as I'm a AFV newbie - keep up the good work :goodjob:

Thanks, luckily my last AFV didn't have any wheels lol.  Well ok it had 2 at the back,  Brush painted Airfix WWI Female Tank, that was my 3rd AFV complete.

Spoiler

rzlLlTS.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, been a busy month and a holiday to attend.

Pretty much every thing built now, just the lights to go on at the front.  Some dry brush scratches around the edges, some more to do on the lower hull.  Probably gloss coat next and then decals.

A few errors, the desert color seemed to scratch easily after airbrushing and putting the turret on has scratched the hull.  I rushed a few paint details when painting with a smaller brush and made a few errors.

Spoiler

Nesp2b5.jpg

qAnT75L.jpg

FbxakXY.jpg

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

Looking great so far, I don’t worry about the odd scratch and mark it’s part of the weathering process for me!  🙂

• 8 months later...