Tornado F3 Aerial Fit

lowlevelraf

HI Guys,

I was researching some information ont eh F3 for an upcoming F3 model. I noticed the difference in the Aerial fit on top of the spin of the aircraft. Switching from the twin blade aerial, then later in service these are removed. 

Does anyone know roughly when the updated aerial fit would of be changed from? From pictures i've seen, its around 2001 to 2002 mark?

Cheers,

Matt :)

Hi Matt

I've just finished reading the Warpaint book on the Tornado ADV and hadn't realised just how many modifications were made to some or all of these aircraft during the course of their service. Reference is made to "fleets within fleets" in terms of the modifications applied to individual airframes.

The twin blades on the spine that you refer to were for UHF communications.  These were replaced by a flat disc for a GPS set. As for the timing of this no date is given but from the photos I think your timing is about right. Photos of those involved in Operation Telic from 43 & 111 sqns over Iraq in 2003 had been GPS equipped and all after that date seem to be the same. Photos from the mid 1990s show the UHF aerials. 56(R) aircraft still had the UHF aerials in 1999/2000.

Probably not much of an advance on your dates though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies that the information in Warpaint is not a bit clearer but checking my own images the earliest sighting I seem to have for the GPS aerial fit is during 2001 , by mid-2004 it was widespread with the exceptions being mainly some 56(R) Squadron aircraft and by the end of that year the only example I have with the original aerial fit is 111 Squadron's twin-sticker ZE293/HZ.

Des

I'd like to say thanks for producing a good history on the Tornado ADV. It always seemed to me to be an under rated aircraft when everyone was comparing it to the F15 & F16 which was a totally unfair comparison given the design parameters. It hadn't occurred to me until you noted it that the ADV was in RAF service for the same length of time as the Phantom.

Ewen

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...