1/100 Me.262 V3 ++ Finished ++

CliffB

Just catching up with this GB and I will be entering this little beast.

Me262-box-lid0002.jpg

Originally released in 1956, the kit is resplendent in period features such as rivets, a moulded-in pilot and surface detail to show where the markings should go.  The representation of the control surfaces is also quite 'interesting'.

P1100338.jpg

Rather than trying to bring this kit up to modern standards, I'm going to embrace its quirkiness and build 'as is'.

The kit includes bombs and rockets, although I'm not sure that Faller have got the installation quite right (nor indeed that of the engines).....

Me262-built0005.jpg

Interestingly, the decal sheet includes PC+UC, which was actually the third prototype - the first one to fly solely under jet power.

Like the earlier prototypes, V3 had a tail wheel undercarriage.  I read somewhere that the jet-wash from the engines caused the tail to stick to the ground and so the pilot had to tap the brakes at the end of his take-off run in order to lift it.   IIRC, this led to the move to a tricycle undercarriage.

Given that this whole model is in any case going to be a bit of a caricature, I thought I'd turn it back into a crude V3.  I'll be relying on Rich's V1 build for the finer details (like where the wheels go ;)).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Your keen Cliff. The perfect kit for rivet counters :hmmm: I do remember the Faller kits from my youth and even then there wasn't much good to say about it :(

Cheers, Peter

you are a very sad man Peter! :D I thought something like this would have had you running for the hills!

Welcome aboard Cliff, I remember when you posted this the first time in the chat. I had forgotten how awful it was, but it's a great place to start!

You just need to loose those rockets, plus the things hanging off the trailing edges of the wings. Calling them control surfaces is really stretching the imagination! Plus the decals, hmmmm.... I hope the canopy is still there, I didn't see it in the photo.

To be honest, it should be a fairly simple build to correct those issues, there's nothing hard there to sort out. The rudder is a wee bit out of shape to. 

For it's age it's not to bad, she's a wee bit older than my brother.....and in probably better condition! :D Hopefully he doesn't read this! :fight:

Well good luck with the build, it's really great to see a golden oldie like this in a GB, a chance to show something like this can still be turned into a great model. I look forward to following this build with interest, have my chair & :popcorn: ready.

• Haha 1

Thanks for your 'encouragement' guys!

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have absolutely no intention of correcting any of the kit's faults. Tamiya do very nice 1/100 scale 262, so there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.  Also, I quite like the dangly bits :clap2:.

Steam punk anyone?

P1100339.jpg

It's just stuck together at the moment (the engines are still loose), so the joints obviously still need some TLC.

These Faller kits seem to sell for ridiculous amounts of money (just try "1/100 Faller" on eBay), but I've no idea why.  This one was only a few quid though, partly because the box had been eaten by a mouse and partly because he also ate the canopy.

I had hoped to use a spare Tamiya canopy, but unfortunately that's only about half the width of Faller cockpit :winkgrin:.  So I'll be plunge moulding a replacement, using a suitably 'old school' approach (balsa at the ready).

Decal wise, I have managed to source some suitable replacements thankfully.

The model is destined for a 'prototype' themed club competition next month, where I'm hoping that that its quirky appearance combined with a tasty paint job (if I can pull it off), might tempt a few votes from those who favour originality over accuracy.  Anyway, I'm hoping that's the case - otherwise I'm well and truly sunk!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

These Faller kits seem to sell for ridiculous amounts of money (just try "1/100 Faller" on eBay), but I've no idea why.  This one was only a few quid though, partly because the box had been eaten by a mouse and partly because he also ate the canopy.

Gosh what did they make the canopy out of???

Those "dangly bits" look like they're about to fall off, just be careful with them.

You'll probably get the votes because no one has ever seen one built before.....the steampunk idea is always a backup plan if it all goes wrong.

Edit; I just went looking on evilbay. $50USD for one like yours less mouse damage!! and $500USD for the crazy display stash to mount them on! :yikes:

• Like 1

Thanks Rich.  I guess there must be a collecters market for old Faller kits :shrug:

Just one more update before I take a long weekend break.

P1100340.jpg

Epoxy putty to fill in the wheel bays.  I won't be creating new ones - my Hellcat in the MTO GB is similarly lacking and it looks just fine when on display :)

Faller have chosen to mount the wheels directly onto the covers (complete with moulded in coil springs).  I'll need to provide some new u/c legs, but I'm hoping that I can re-shape the covers and still use them.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

I'll post some pictures of the covers on mine for you, plus the position of the tail wheel.. For the wheel wells in that scale i'd just mask where they should be up and paint it black, it'd almost have the effect of them being open.

opps I nearly forgot these Cliff.

IMG_1546-L.jpg

The U/c doors are a very basic shape so they should be very easy to make. The tail wheel doors are even simpler in shape.

IMG_1547-L.jpg

very simple tail wheel opening about even with the middle section of the elevators.

IMG_1554-L.jpg

I've marked the inner flaps so you have a reference point. The main gear was a bit further forward, almost inline with the inside leading edge of the outer wing section. At least you don't have to worry about the inner wing section as the wing was pretty much how it would remain for the life of the production.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 2:54 PM, Basilisk said:

Why not just build it the way Faller intend it to be built?

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter

I did think about that, but the kit's PC+UC decals whetted my appetite for the V3....

On 5/27/2018 at 2:01 AM, trickyrich said:

opps I nearly forgot these Cliff.

I've marked the inner flaps so you have a reference point. The main gear was a bit further forward, almost inline with the inside leading edge of the outer wing section. At least you don't have to worry about the inner wing section as the wing was pretty much how it would remain for the life of the production.

Thanks for the photos and other pointers Rich.  I really do appreciate you taking the time.

I'm just back from a few days coastal walking in Devon and, as usual, the grass needs cutting.  The good news though is that there's rain forecast for tomorrow so the grass may need to wait :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

As hoped, I've managed to spend some time with the V3 today.

P1100343.jpg

P1100344.jpg

The seams are mostly dealt with and the undercarriage is in place (using various bits for my spares box etc.).  I don't know why I used card that was quite so thick for the main gear doors :shrug:.  I may change them, although to be honest you only catch a glimpse of them when the model is on its legs and they look just fine.

Next up will be moulding the new canopy.

In meantime, does anyone have any thoughts on the paint scheme please?  V3 flew in mid 1942 and I've seen various artwork - some greens over RLM65, some greys over RLM76.  From my very limited knowledge I'm tending to favour the earlier (green) scheme, but would appreciate hearing any other views.  Thanks.

Cliff

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 5:45 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Cliff I did a google search and from the B/W photos I’ve seen I’d say the colors for this 262 are the mid war greys. The RLM 74/75 over RLM 76. With various mottles along the Fuselage. Hopefully this will help. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  My understanding was that the grey 'splinter/mottle' scheme was preceded by a similar-looking green one (62/63 over 65?).  I'm happy to go with grey though :thumbsup2:

Today, I've had a look at replacing the missing canopy.  Before trying to mould a new one, I thought I'd better look in my spares box. All I found was an unlikely looking canopy from an old Frog/Novo Barracuda!

On reflection though, it was at least the right height and width.  The clear plastic was also very thick, giving me scope to carve and sand as necessary.  So I cut out three suitable sections and after much fiddling it now looks like is.

P1100346.jpg

It could be a lot worse :winkgrin: - I'm just hoping that it polishes up OK.  The outside should be easy enough, but the inside might be tricky.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The canopy looks pretty good.

Thanks Dennis.  Here it is after polishing and dipping.

P1100348.jpg

It looks OK in the flesh (not brilliant, just OK :winkgrin:), but I think will improve when the framework is painted on.  Most of the remaining clarity problems are down to the original Novo donor canopy.  For example, if you look closely you can see some black marks on the centre section (adjacent to the front screen).  These are actually inclusions within the clear plastic.  Thankfully they are much less visible against a black background (i.e. the cockpit on my 262).

The V3 had a curved one-piece front screen (unlike production 262s), which I've tried to recreate.

Cliff

• Like 1

nice mod work Cliff, that should do nicely.

As far as the colour scheme goes, RLM74/75 over 76 is correct. RLM 02 was part of the mottle on the sides and the upper part of the nose was painted RLM70 to give an impression of a spinner. Interestingly V2 had the same colour scheme but with RLM71 as mottle on the side as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich.  It's really useful to have further confirmation on the colours.  I'd seen that dark upper nose on some photos of V3 (but not all), and had half-persuaded myself that it must be part of the splinter camo.  The faux spinner makes perfect sense though at this stage of the aircraft's development.  EDIT: I've just noticed the 'spinner' on the box art too (first post)!

The model has now had its first coat of primer and of course this has shown up some areas that need further attention.  You may also notice that I've removed a couple of Faller's more eccentric features ( I know I said I wouldn't :nono:).

Firstly I removed the outlines of the markings (my replacement decals being not quite the same size as the originals) and then I filled in any gaps in the control surface hinge lines using PVA.  They still have massive trenches but at least you can no longer see daylight.

P1100349.jpg

By coincidence my Airfix GB entry will be a Fw.190, so I'll probably delay painting this 262 until such time as the 190 is ready for some grey too.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

you know, it actually starting to look quick nice! I know the proportions are a bit off  :whistle:  and then there those things hanging off the wings (glue did help), but I really like it!  :thumbsup:  It looks like a Me-262 and you know it's meant to be a prototype and it all just works.

I'm really glad you decided to build it Cliff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rich and Mottlemaster :)

As expected, I've been away from this build for a few weeks while I've been working on other models. In particular my Airfix GB Fw.190 is well underway now, so it won't be long until I'm ready for an 'RLM Fest'.

In anticipation of this, I've now painted the V3's cockpit (sorry, no PE here), and re-capitated the pilot.

P1100371.jpg

I also thought that I'd better read the kit's painting instructions, just as a double-check on Dennis and Rich's 'RLM 74/75 over 76' advice ;).

Enjoy.....

Me262-Painting.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Thanks gents (I think)! 

Stung by your mockery I've now revisited the head.  To be honest, I was lazy yesterday and just chopped the head off a previously painted pilot figure that I had in my spares box.  The trouble was it was 1/72, which added to the 'giant brain' look.

I've now replaced it with part of the pilot figure provided in the Tamiya 1/100 Me.262 kit, which I think looks a little better.

P1100372.jpg

This macro shot shows off my home-made canopy in all its glory!  It looks like my painted framework will need to be nice and wide :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2