1960's Lightning F.6 ++Finished++

A revised entry from me - this delightful little 1/100 scale No.5 Squadron Lightining F6 from Tamiya.

Lightning-Box-Art.jpg

Beautifully moulded parts and reportedly a vice-free build.

Just two niggles:

• the top surfaces of the wings have big slots for the optional auxiliary fuel tanks.  These need to be filled and panel lines scribed across.  Care needed with a NMF!
  • the decals have a rather creamy coloured white.

P1100337.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

On 5/27/2018 at 1:03 AM, SoftScience said:

Whoa. 1/100? That's different.

Thanks SoftScience - for some reason I can't get enough of 1/100 kits at the moment :)

Cliff

Just to show that I've finally made a start in this GB!

P1100347.jpg

I filled the wing slots with epoxy putty and have rescribed. They look OK at the moment......

I added a little nose weight as a precaution.  When necessary, Tamiya include ball bearings within these 'black box' issues, but none are included (or referred to), with the Lightning.

In contrast though, Revell suggest that 5g be added in their boxing of the same kit.  Better safe than sorry, I suppose ;).

Cliff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

" Continues to make steady progress"

P1100352.jpg

Definitely not current 'shake and bake' Tamiya quality (the kit dates from the 1960s), so lots of fiddling required to get things to fit nicely.  The canopy took a slight hammering in the process, so is off curing now after a 'dip'.

I pre-painted the nose cone before fitting as that was easiest,  It's actually green (Tamiya J.N. Green - as recommended), but it's so dark that it's hard to tell!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update.

P1100362.jpg

P1100363.jpg

Several parts of the plane are black, so after priming I applied a base coat and then masked accordingly. 

I'm not sure why there are so many black stripes on the belly?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

and it's finished..

P1100364.jpg

The only thing that I'm not happy with is/are the missiles, which are looking rather sterile in plain white.  I need to add a few contrasting details (if I can prise them off without doing untold damage ;)).

I'll post some more pictures in the Gallery, but in the meantime thank you to all of you who have supported this build and to Robert and Enzo for making the GB happen.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

On 6/18/2018 at 2:59 AM, CliffB said:

I'm not sure why there are so many black stripes on the belly?

I believe they are cradle points for maintenance. So the ground crew can jack the plane up.   

• Thanks 1

Nicely done Cliff, that's a handsome Lightning.

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'll post some more pictures in the Gallery, but in the meantime thank you to all of you who have supported this build and to Robert and Enzo for making the GB happen.

Thank-you Cliff :)

• Thanks 1