First to Fight (2x1/72 Arma Hobby Fokker E.V)

A further update:

42128245244_1969d0e1d5_h.jpg20180616_221551 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The two kits that will have the German-style hex camo decals applied are painted Fokker Green now. Unfortunately, even thinning with Tamiya thinner didn't stop the Misterkit paint from reverting to its usual awful tricks -- possibly it's affected by the high heat and humidity today, or I didn't sacrifice enough goats before painting. 

41035254250_87e9a16c25_h.jpg20180616_221537 by Edward IX, on Flickr

As you can see, it went on thin and runny, despite dumping out the paint and adjusting the paint-to-thinner ratio three times.  

So why did I paint the whole fuselage? I didn't want any unspreayed areas to be visible under the decals (just in case), or to deal with any step caused by the presence or absence of paint. Paranoid? Perhaps! 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Paranoid? Perhaps! 

Not paranoid, the evidence of hard-won experience I suspect. I would have done the same, I don't feel transfers adhere dependably on unpainted plastic, although I have no evidence to back that up except the memory of the first kits I made when I was a boy that I didn't paint, just assembled and stuck the transfers on. The further thought occurs that I might simply be as paranoid as you are :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

The further thought occurs that I might simply be as paranoid as you are :D 

Time to open a 1980s-style private detective agency! I hope you have a helicopter, superintelligent car, or Cybill Shepherd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Um, I have a dog?

"He's a Yank - He's a Brit - He's a West Highland Terrier. Together they're going to clean up this city!" 

I think we need Peter Serafinowicz to make that voiceover halfway convincing :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Oh, you guys:rofl2:

41 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I hope you have a helicopter, superintelligent car, or Cybill Shepherd.

OR Cybill Shepherd? Why not AND Cybill Shepherd? I think one needs to set one's aspirations unacceptably high, that way you have an excuse when they're not achieved...

(I was going to post a photo of Cybill but I think, after spending some time looking at photos of her on the 'net, that's best left to our memories... WHAT a girl!)

Can I be Roger Moore please? Please? Can I please?

giphy.gif

I promise I'll practice the eyebrows and I can already do the inappropriate catchphrases...

The little Fokkers are looking good PC. Gosh, they are tiny eh? The size of a peg and, unless you have bigger pegs in the US, that's small.

I'd put any paint issues down to weathering, but that's just me..

And they're NOT out to get you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Can I be Roger Moore please? Please? Can I please?

Well I mean, if it's a question of looks alone, you're far too handsome, but of course if it's just mannerisms, you do have more than a bit of the Roger Moore to you, don't you. Even his name is worthy of a fnarr! 

• Haha 4

Three of them! Man, three of them!!! It's so exciting!

On 6/17/2018 at 5:43 AM, Procopius said:

Unfortunately, even thinning with Tamiya thinner didn't stop the Misterkit paint from reverting to its usual awful tricks -- possibly it's affected by the high heat and humidity today, or I didn't sacrifice enough goats before painting.  

Well, maybe it's time to start using primer? It makes painting much more pleasant. I use black Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1500 (EDIT: checked: black is 1500 and 1000 is light grey) with Hataka laquer thinner (as fine as Gunze but much less smelly). White or grey one is equally good. It "bites" the plastic surface a bit so it is safe, strong base for paints. Sure if you hate smelly laquers you still can use acrylic primers (less effective than laquers), sometimes just layer of the good gray or white or black paint does the trick.

BTW, that green paint on the tail looks awesome, like intended effect!

Good luck!!!

Edited by GrzeM
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Well, maybe it's time to start using primer?

I normally use Alclad primer, but I've been meaning to pick up some of the Hataka Orange thinner and give it a try with my Mr Surfacer. 

I sprayed the glosscoat so I can add the lozenge decals, but it didn't seem to really be cooperating tonight -- it's very humid after a rainstorm, which itself followed temperatures of 95 F (35 C) during the day, and the Aqua Gloss was bunching up...possibly I sprayed at too low of a PSI, but it's hard to tell until it dries, I think. 

• Sad 2

Grrnnnggghhhh! It must be really frustrating to have problems caused by the climate PC... Fingers crossed here matey :) 

On 6/19/2018 at 8:45 AM, GrzeM said:

I really don't know how people manage to live in temperatures above 30 C grades...

We lay around a lot and moan weakly. And try not to use the oven, or make sudden movements.

First lozenge decals are on:

42883063682_9f6a762ffa_h.jpg20180620_231548 by Edward IX, on Flickr

42030540405_d2b6190dd4_h.jpg20180620_231611 by Edward IX, on Flickr

42030540175_da899dce8f_h.jpg20180620_232339 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So far, so good. Issues to be wary of: no hole for the projecting vane from the cockpit out the fuselage, and I did a bad job of trying to cut one and the decal for the horizontal stabilizer underside is one piece, so you need to put it on before adding the stabs to the fuselage, which is immediately apparent if you look at the decals and use your brain, which I did not do. Other than that, they performed well and fit perfectly. Feel pretty stupid about not catching the horizontal stab decal issue, though.

Very tired lately. Some big big legal issues going on in the USA right now, which my employer involved themselves in, which meant I played a minuscule (as in it could not be measured or detected even with very precise instruments) role in a political issue of national import for all of today and much of yesterday as well. Much of this involved sitting around and waiting to see what fresh new hell we were in, collectively, or how many times an official statement of incredible simplicity could be revised before being flung out into the world. Prolonged exposure to Twitter at times like this does a lot to awaken violent misanthropy in me, because on social media, people let their basest, most vile instincts run rampant. I don't have a lot of illusions about the human race, which has gone out of its way to let me down, but the blind stupidity, fecklessness, and wanton viciousness which can be found on any side of any issue if you but scratch the surface on Twitter leave me feeling not only drained, but profoundly discouraged.  

• Like 16

That's looking rather nice; don't feel too bad about the stabiliser underside decal, could have happened to any of us. Was the application easy apart from that? I'm always a bit leery of large-area decals...

Could you not have just issued that Ramones song as your organisations official statement? 

Regarding people; I believe that most are genuinely if inconsistently good but something like Twitter does provide an outlet for those who would not normally be able to access an audience in real life, because you would avoid them like the plague if you met them in the pub, and I think it makes them worse because of it.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

hi Pc, lovely little Fokkers...

I am rarely accused of being a sensitive instrument but your employer has been on the side of the good guys for the past few days, and I have no doubt your role, both in promoting that moderate, liberal (small l) agenda in the face of howling online idiocy and in negotiating that from within an essentially conservative (small c) institution was vital. Whether we like it or no, social media is the frontline (or at least the visible spectrum thereof) in these crises.

And if all that fails, you have the pancakes to look back on fondly!

On 6/19/2018 at 11:45 PM, GrzeM said:

I really don't know how people manage to live in temperatures above 30 C grades...

It's great. Minimum of clothing, no heating bills, beach visits all year around and COLD BEER. Who'd want to live in a miserable cold place?

• Like 4

Great decalling, er, Batman! :D 

Social networking is not, as you know, my preferred method of communication (unless this forum counts?). As Stew says it seems to bring out the worst in people worst type of people, giving them 'a voice' they can't let be seen in person...

The great guy (John Darvall) who does the morning 'phone in on BBC Radio Bristol doesn't respond to people whose tags aren't their real name - he says that, if you don't want me to know who you are, I don't want to hear your views. Might be a good new rule to apply?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Very tired lately. Some big big legal issues going on in the USA right now, which my employer involved themselves in, which meant I played a minuscule (as in it could not be measured or detected even with very precise instruments) role in a political issue of national import for all of today and much of yesterday as well.

If this is anything to do with 'degrees of separation' then I am standing and whoohooing anyone who had anything to do in changing attitudes.

Nice stickers, by the way.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

It's great. Minimum of clothing, no heating bills, beach visits all year around and COLD BEER. Who'd want to live in a miserable cold place?

Sounds great to my ears 👍 ... However to your question Rob of living in a cold place. The sad answer is Me. I have a medical condition known as “Cholinergic Urticaria”. I developed this allergy in my 20’s. However it didn't become life threatening until i was in my later 30’s. In short im allergic to my own perspiration. If it gets above 75* Fahrenheit or 24* celsius i run the risk of dying. I have been rushed to the hospital multiple times in the last 10 years and have to carry an Epipen with me always.

If i have a reaction i break out in hives both on my skin in other internal areas, and in my throat. I get uncontrollably itchy, and because of the swelling in my throat from the hives i can't breathe. So im a polar bear and enjoy no thrive in sub-zero temperatures.

I Just thought i should answer Rob g’s question. Rob for what its worth I would love to live in a warm climate. When i was younger. A time i didn't suffer from this condition, i sadly turned down job’s in both Australia, and Kenya. What i wouldn't give to go back and take those jobs on. 

Dennis

my apologies PC for the thread hi-jack. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's looking rather nice; don't feel too bad about the stabiliser underside decal, could have happened to any of us. Was the application easy apart from that? I'm always a bit leery of large-area decals...

Surprisingly easy. The decals are Cartograph, I believe, but whoever made them did an excellent job. Properly sized, very cooperative with both warm and room-temperature water.

Er, more later, I started this post eight hours ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a medical condition known as “Cholinergic Urticaria”. I developed this allergy in my 20’s.

That's rather hard luck, I'm sorry to hear it. As a fellow sufferer of an unwanted random condition, I know what a shock it can be and how much it completely messes up your life plans. My sympathies Dennis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Rob G ...  First off Im sorry to hear you suffer as well from an nasty medical condition. I Wasn't trying to be rude or say anything like that. I was just pointing out that some might need to live in different climates for odd reasons. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks

'Need to live' is quite different from 'want to live'. As you pointed out, you'd rather be somewhere warm, just like all right thinking persons. (Says he, whose mother is a redhead and whose colouring he got (not the hair though, praise genetics) and who runs and hides from the Darn Unda sun as much as possible.)

I didn't take your comment as rude in the least, but as an explanation as to why for you, at least, cold makes sense. (I must look your condition up, sounds fascinating.)

Should we give PC his thread back now? :D

• Like 2